• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Favorite all-around hunting ammo for .308 AR

ipsick

Just trying to get an idea of people's preferred all-around hunting ammo in their .308 AR.  Putting together a .308 AR and honestly it's primary use will probably just be range duty but I'd like to tune the adjustable gas system for one type of ammo.  It's pretty much going to be a JP LR-308 and they only show Hornady 150gr SST as recommended hunting ammo.  The other ammo they recommend are primarily target rounds.

So any other types I should be aware of that people like out of their .308 AR?

Got a favorite vendor for this ammo?

Sorry for the delay in my reply. Work and weather here in the 'stan has kept me busy.

Ive been using Cabelas.com. Its easy, secure, and if I have an issue I can go into my local Cabelas and talk to someone. Ive not actually gone in to see if its a normal stock item. With it being a hand load round I doubt that it is.

Sorry for the delay in my reply. Work and weather here in the 'stan has kept me busy.

Ive been using Cabelas.com. Its easy, secure, and if I have an issue I can go into my local Cabelas and talk to someone. Ive not actually gone in to see if its a normal stock item. With it being a hand load round I doubt that it is.

Thank you  :)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Simple Remington 150gr Cor-Lokt. Shoots 1/4" MOA at 100yards if I do my part.

wow you are getting really exceptional results from non match ammo. I would just shoot the cheap stuff  and nothing else. I would like to see you shoot 1/4 moa with that ammo and see the amount of cash you have spent on this rifle. There are folks that have spent $5k+ to get a rifle to shoot 1/4moa with custom loads that are matched precisely to the rifle. You have some targets or better yet videos to show us the 1/4 moa with cheapo ammo rifle ?

An Armalite AR-10? Eeeehhhh......they're okay....I might have a couple of those laying around somewhere....I lost track.  <laughs>

Just kiddin my man. Some of the other guys around here might just say that I'm an Armalite guy.......that is if they've been paying attention.  <lmao>

Seriously though. They kick ass. Which model (or models) do you have?

Ron

• 1 month later...

I'm experimenting with my POF. 1-10" twist seems to do well with the Sierra 165gr Gameking. Next session I'm trying Hornadys 165gr. The Sierra has always performed well for me on whitetails although it is a little heavily constructed for the 125-150lb deer in my area.

• 1 month later...

I've had good results with Hornady 150gr GMX on antelope and also a nice cow elk. I was also quite impressed with Federal Fusion which bagged an antelope at just shy of 600yards. Im working on some handloads with Hornady 168gr AMAX and some Varget, hopefully going to the range next week and can give some results.

• 5 months later...

I've become a big fan of the Barnes ammo. The 150 and 168gr have always been really consistent for me and worked great for everyone I know that uses them. They are also very accurate out of my rifle.

I was hoping to try their 110gr black tips out of my 300blk this year for deer.

I wish they weren't so damned expensive but I love how they perform.

• 2 weeks later...

be very carefull with rem corelok's they will come apart on larger game like bear moose elk if you want one round that does it all barnes ttsx 168 will do it you could kill a rhino with this stuff.......

I may have already said this, but I'm not a fan of corelok either when I got my first deer rifle I went to a private range for their public sight in day with two boxes of it for my 30-06 they set me up with a guy (I was green, greener then I am now) dialed her in at 50 in 5 shots. Went to 100yards there was no rhyme or reason to it up down left right, all over the place. After 20-25 shots guy says idk what the hell is going on. He goes to an old timer there he comes over says son what you shooting, I show him he sees those corelok bullets and says to me son those things are garbage come back next week with some Feds or Winchesters and we'll get you lined up. Sure poop next week I shot 10 times at 100 yards and was in the money.

Seems like every other time that story comes up a person had a similar story

• 1 month later...

This will be the first time to use a AR308, but I will be using CBC 168g HPBT’s in it though. The last time I used a 30cal. (3030) I lost my dear. Ever sense I have used 44 (444), 45 (4570) and have never lost anything with them. Now I’m back to a 30cal. (308). But if I can keep my shots small it won’t have head left. But if I decide to use commercial ammo it will probably be Win 150g Silver Tips.

This will be the first time to use a AR308, but I will be using CBC 168g HPBT’s in it though. The last time I used a 30cal. (3030) I lost my dear. Ever sense I have used 44 (444), 45 (4570) and have never lost anything with them. Now I’m back to a 30cal. (308). But if I can keep my shots small it won’t have head left. But if I decide to use commercial ammo it will probably be Win 150g Silver Tips.

SILVER TIPS...are you hunting werewolvles. LOL

Black Hills 168gr bthp ammo in the red boxes. Better than Win 150gr