Grilling

imschur

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you. It was delicious. I can't wait to do another. I think a big chunk of beef is next. You all have been excellent mentors and motivators. Thanks again for all the help-especially to Wash for all the long text message chains of tips and support. 

Edited by DNP

I love to do some grilling. I like the venison kebobs, did some in chicken too. Walmart has spicy kung pow sauce. Stir brown sugar into it and its awesome. I also like to bacon wrap me some backstraps from a young doe. I use grub rub (made in texas) its fantastic.

IMG_1415.JPG

IMG_0814.JPG

Did some more backstraps monday. I had a monster year and shot 5 deer, so I'm eating really really good. The foil packets are my favorite. I slice potatoes and onions, and shake on some lowreys. Then I put slices of butter on top, and seal it shut folding it. The other packet is asparagus with garlic powder, salt, pepper, and yes fatty puts the butter on that too hahaha!

IMG_1436.JPG

Edited by Hoff
forgot pic

That cwd has been showing up around the southern part of the state where I hunt also.  Not too bad yet, but we have also had a major drop off in number the last couple of years,  along with the cwd.

I just quit going......more work and expense than the few pound of meat are worth for me. I can buy top beef for less around here.

1 hour ago, bubbas4570 said:

That cwd has been showing up around the southern part of the state where I hunt also.  Not too bad yet, but we have also had a major drop off in number the last couple of years,  along with the cwd.

I just quit going......more work and expense than the few pound of meat are worth for me. I can buy top beef for less around here.

It's a beef processors' conspiracy!  Give the deer cwd, sell more beef!

Good job uncovering that, bubba4570!

In WI you get a buck and doe tag with your archery deer permit, and a buck and doe tag with your gun permit. That's 4 if you hunt both, but I gun hunt in an area where you have to pay $12 for a special permit specifically for that area so I ended up with five. The doe you get with gun permit isn't weapon specific, so it was one of the three I killed with the bow. Those 3 deer will feed my family almost all the meat we eat in a year. (I have a ton of meat) I buy beef about 5 pounds a year, i'm just not used to chemicals and antibiotics as much anymore. I like a purer leaner meat. It was an exiting year!

4 minutes ago, Hoff said:

Sorry about your herd man hope it recovers. That is a great concern here too. The northern half of WI is trash now with the wolves they turned loose. I am worried the hunting down here will soon go to poop as well.

That's where I normally hunt, up north of park falls, it's not just the wolves. The wolves, the past 2-3 rough winters, the bonus tags they gave out by the fist full for 12$ it's all adding up

Yup the bonus tags didnt help either some of the real back country poor locals up there would shoot 18 a year and sell the hides and stuff to make some money. Those bonus permits used to be $2. But the herd should have long since bounced back and it hasnt.

• 2 weeks later...
On March 6, 2016 at 9:35 PM, DNP said:

9lb bone in. 13.5hours set @ 225 (which meant 225-275 traeger temp) Pecan Pellets. 7 hours of Oak Ridge "game changer" brine...need to do 12 or more next time as recommended. Rubbed with a 4:1 mix of Oak Ridge "secret weapon" and "dominator sweet rib". Tasty.  Got a little bit of ring to it-the brine definitely helps in that area. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

off to oak ridge site I go!!

Shepp     We done changed on ya...lol     .....no nite before...unless you wanna brine?......room temp it...rub down with a lil vegetable oil...put oakridge pork/chicken rub on with a lil sweet rib rub...no injecting no spritzing smoke at 250 till 200 internal let it rest in foam beer box for a lil while

should look like the burnt meteorite on the amazing rib site...the pic of the guy holding the tray of butts...you want a crisp bark..so no foiling no spritzing...we have been using lil 5/6 lb butts they take less time bout 6/7 hours if all they have is the big ol butts have the butcher cut it in half length ways...go up a few in posts...shows you the deal on em

Wash

Edited by washguy

1 minute ago, washguy said:

Shepp     We done changed on ya...lol     .....no nite before...unless you wanna brine?......room temp it...rub down with a lil vegetable oil...put oakridge pork/chicken rub on with a lil sweet rib rub...no injecting no spritzing smoke at 250 till 200 internal let it rest in foam beer box for a lil while

should look like the burnt meteorite on the amazing rib site...the pic of the guy holding the tray of butts...you want a crisp bark..so no foiling no spritzing...we have been using lil 5/6 lb butts they take less time bout 6/7 hours

Wash

Thanks buddy, that'll be perfect that's how SAMs usually sells them 2 pack 12-14# total weight. I was just looking at oak ridge site, going to order that back yard starter kit. 

I bought a similar kit. Careful...it just makes you want to buy more.  I didn't lift the lid at all til it was done. Set it and forget it until the temp buzzer went off. The brine was helpful for sure. I added the sweet rib rub to the secret weapon just to give it a little sweeter flavor. Can't cook this weekend and it kills me. Next weekend....its on. 

• shepp locked and unlocked this topic