• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Bullpup M14 in A'stan... WOW

TANGO2072

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Was looking at this recently, I like he concept, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to drop over $1200 on one without handling it and feeling the trigger pull for myself. The website says it adds 1.5 lbs to a stock M14. don't know the weight of one of those but I bet it's got to be  heavier than my Mega carbine, but probably more compact as well. I spoke to the mfg, and He said they are in the process of releasing a Gen 2 with some improvements which should be on the web site by the end of July. I wonder where I could try one out?

I had a chance to handle the Kel-Tec RFB recently at the shop I go to.  Heavy, European style magazine (but then, the M-14 is too), and it you get a double feed, you're taking the rifle apart.  And I'm not too keen on how it doesn't eject one case for every round loaded.  There can be up to 3-4 spent cases in the "ejection tube" at any given time.  And for as heavy as it is, the muzzle jump seems inordinate for the caliber.  I think a bullpup 7.62 might fall under the "just because you can doesn't mean you should" category.

Sometimes that muzzle being out in front of you a ways is a good thing.  IMHO, if you need something short and meaty for building entries, etc., take a BAZ-45 or a UMP 45.  Nothing says Room Broom like a .45ACP SMG.

My feeling is that too many times today the manufacturers try to make every weapon and "everything" weapon.  ;)

I won't argue with you that, there is no way for a gun to be the best for every role. If that was so, we'd have many different Mfgs making basically the same configuration of gun, because it was so clearly superior than all other designs. I also know that, speaking for myself, and probably others, we like having something unique that no one else has, sometimes people go to great lengths to achieve that goal, even at the expense of practicality. Now I'm not in combat so I don't have real world experience to draw from, but it would certainly seem to me that a small compact .308 rifle, that doesn't lose the long range ballistic value of the .308 cartridge the way a .308 SBR does, would be a very useful thing, Now I don't think something like this is going to compete with a long heavy sniper type 7.62, any more than a Sage EBR stocked M14 would, But I'm thinking that a gun like this might serve multiple battle field roles better than something like a .45 SMG, even if the 7.62 rd would be punishing on the shooter, to shoot in an enclosed space, as I assume it would be.

My goal is to bring joy and happiness to you on a daily basis - today, check.  ;D

That whole hearing-aid-thing worked out well on long drives with the girlfriend - I'd "forget" it when we left.  With her in the passenger seat, if she was pissed about something, I'd just keep saying, "Huh? What are you talking about?..."

Your point on the hearing damage is well taken. I just shot my first 3 gun match using my Mega .308 carbine, instead of a .223 gun. Now, I've been shooting open pistol for a while, and everyone knows that the open guns with the comps are much louder than the limited and production guns without, but I've been able to get by with single hearing protection to shoot up till now. But when I came home from the match after shooting a .308 AR carbine, My ears were ringing, I can just imagine how much worse it must be with a bullpup. I guess I'll have to double up with plugs and earmuffs in the future, if I want to use the .308 for matches.

All good points guys.  But again, if it doesn't weigh less and do the job better, I see no point in it.  My AR10A4C is not that much longer than the typical M4 (like 2-3 inches maybe).  And when I was in, I cleared plenty of structures with my trusty M4 with no complaints.

I would think, and again IMHO, the the add muzzle jump as well as a slower magazine change (at least I would think so.) would just make me not want it in the field.  Heavier, lengthened recovery time to get back on target or go to the next, and the slower mag changes.  That all adds up to no thanks.  Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.  Any redesign to a proven battlefield weapon should be limited to: lighter, faster recovery, more accurate, more punch, faster or not as often reloads, etc.

And as for hearing loss.  Damn.  What did you say again?  <laughs>

Too many jets, guns, explosions, late night recon of local bars with loud music and drag racing.  Huh?  <lmao>

The only thing I ever liked about the bullpup design is that it forced all you evil south paws to shoot like normal human beings!

While I like the look of the SOCOM in this design (that is SHORT), I have to agree with the statements above. It looks like a solution to a problem that didnt exist... You want to sell me something *new* for my M1A/M14... Make my rifle lighter!!! You give me a 7 or 8 pound, sub MOA, Springfield and I have a FAT check waiting for you. Remington has a titanium m700, S&W has titanium revolvers, why can't I have a titanium M1A with a carbon fiber barrel, synthetic stock and polymer rails???

How about we put Christensen Arms and Fulton Armory in a cheap motel room together... We pour them some wine... Turn down the lights... We play some romantic music... Viola! They produce a hybrid mutant baby made of all our favorite lightweight parts!

PS. With M1A PMAG's too!!!

Remington has a titanium m700, S&W has titanium revolvers, why can't I have a titanium M1A with a carbon fiber barrel, synthetic stock and polymer rails???

You're into a stoopid amount of money, there - Titanium.  Welding Ti is bad enough, and machining it is even  more ridiculous.  I'll post up some pics of a custom one-off Ti race frame for an ATV - it was over $15k.  When it was seen in public, others noticed who had made it.  They ended up calling the builder for one, and the builder denied ever making one, ever.  Ti  = $$$$$  Ti = Pain In The Ass.

As far as I know, Titanium also doesn't work well in applications where there is friction unless it is coated with something. So that would add even more to the cost of a titanium receiver.  I think that it would be possible to get one down to around 9lbs  if you could get a carbon wrapped barrel and used one of  McCann's 1.5 lb carbon fiber stocks. But I wouldn't expect to see Magpul  offering M14 mags any time soon.

The problem of rapid mag changes had never even occurred to me. I'm thinking that it must be problematic on most, if not all bullpup designs, considering that the mag is going to be located behind your trigger hand. I've never even tried a rapid mag change with a conventional M1A, but have heard that because of the AK like mag release location it is not as efficient as on the AR platform. I'm not sure if that alone would be a deal breaker for me, but the transfer bar to operate the trigger might be. I've shot a few different guns with an additional link to relocate the trigger ( the as imported Saiga 12 ga comes to mind) and I don't recall ever shooting one that had a decent trigger, even by combat standards. Although I've never tried the AUG or FN FS2000.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The evolution of my m14 bullpup continues...

I had a SADLAK tactical mag release installed... this is a must have item for all Rogue owners.

Reaching around and behind the mag body to release the mag is much easier with the SADLAK part.

I also replaced the original Rogue pistol grip with a Magpul MIAD.

The grip change gives me a bit more room to rock the mags in and out of the receiver.

I know, Mom, I know...  <laughs>

I ended up getting a damn hearing aid for my right ear just before I retired...  70% loss in high and low tones...  <dontknow>

Thats my next pkg coming inbound.....huh?  what?  I hear ya! Gettin old aint for sissies! <thumbsup> Wash