• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LAR Manufacturing Acquired by Remington

Large caliber rifle LAR Grizzly and LAR Manufacturing have been acquired by Remington / The Freedom Group. Remington has not yet sent out a press release about this acquisition, but Ethan at Aftermath Gun Club spoke to the LAR Manufacturing who confirmed the news.

LAR has been in business for a long time, at one time or another making pistols, AR-15s, large caliber rifles and tripod mounts for the military. Today they are best known for their LAR Grizzly T-50 .50 BMG rifles and LAR OPS-4 AR-15 upper receivers

<blockquote> Headquartered in West Jordan Utah, LAR Manufacturing has been producing precision engineered firearms and firearms components for over 40 years. Founded in 1968, LAR began manufacturing of M16 upper receivers for the Rock Island U.S. Armament Command; LAR won other government contracts such as the M3 Tripod Mounts for the M2 machine gun as well as the M85 Barrel extension subassembly, and the M240 machine gun. Due to our machining capabilities, LAR launched the Grizzly Mark 1 handgun, “The Browning 1911 on steroids” as it was coined for so many years. Due to our expertise in precision machining and firearms, LAR created the GRIZZLY BIG BOAR .50BMG rifle over 20 years ago. LAR has since launched a new .50BMG Tactical Rifle.

LAR never stopped building firearms components for the M16 and AR15 platforms. LAR has acted and continues to be a contract manufacturing facility for some of the world’s largest AR15 brand names in the industry. LAR has continued its Research and Development and developed a precision machined side charged upper assembly that makes the AR15 platform more functional, durable, accurate for right and left charged models as well as ambidextrous models.

LAR Manufacturing continues to innovate and expand. Skilled employees work in a multi-million dollar, state-of-the-art manufacturing complex covering over 35,000 square feet. Research and development is mission critical and exciting new products are on the drawing board. Indeed, the future is bright at LAR Manufacturing.

</blockquote>

It looks to me that Freedom Group/Remington is setting  a strong foothold for the Army's next rifle contract.

When the time comes for the question, "how many can you make, and how fast?" Their answer will be, "all of them. Right now!"

In a few years expect to see ACR variants from Remington, Bushmaster, DPMS, LAR, AAC, et al.

If they do get the contract, buy stock in DuPont! All that polymer has to come from somewhere.

Just another acquisition under the “Freedom Arms Group”  along with ...

Advanced Armament Corporation

Barnes Bullets

Bushmaster Firearms International

Dakota Arms

DPMS Panther Arms

H & R Firearms

Marlin

Mountain Khakis

Para USA[4]

Parker Gunmakers

Remington Arms

Remington Military

Remington LE

Remington PMPD

TAPCO

I HATE HOW THIS IS TURNING OUT...  :rant2:

I want it in .308!

Seeing that Remington has only produced a few ACR's, and none of them released to the public yet (don't confuse the Bushmaster ACR with the Remington ACR). I'll bet there isn't any production set up yet, and all the models released are for T&E purposes. I'll bet after Colt released the CM901, someone at the top of Remington looked at his R&D team and asked why they hadn't thought of that yet. Although, they do own AAC and Barnes, which would provide a lot of weight behind the 300Blk again. It also negates needing a large frame format since the ACR is not intended to be a long range precision rifle.

I am a big believer in the free market, but acquisitions like this seem to regularly have one major downfall...

The competition blows, and the innovative stuff that comes out of them tends to suffer. When you get a big corporate overhead trying to run 8 or 10 shops, they all have to fall in line.

Lines, by definition, only go from point A to point B.

I am an old time hot rod guy, spent a lot of time building and playing with all sorts of on road/off road/hot boat stuff, and all the neat cool stuff that gets brought to the market in that world seems to come from the smaller shops first, even if they are later picked up by a big shop to mass market it, the tinkering that give us the goodies regularly comes from the shop where a guy can spend time pondering,  time testing, time prototyping, and time making adjustments.

I don't think the corporate empire environment is strong on that, but hey I could be wrong.

I am a big believer in the free market, but acquisitions like this seem to regularly have one major downfall...

The competition blows, and the innovative stuff that comes out of them tends to suffer. When you get a big corporate overhead trying to run 8 or 10 shops, they all have to fall in line.

Lines, by definition, only go from point A to point B.

I am an old time hot rod guy, spent a lot of time building and playing with all sorts of on road/off road/hot boat stuff, and all the neat cool stuff that gets brought to the market in that world seems to come from the smaller shops first, even if they are later picked up by a big shop to mass market it, the tinkering that give us the goodies regularly comes from the shop where a guy can spend time pondering,  time testing, time prototyping, and time making adjustments.

I don't think the corporate empire environment is strong on that, but hey I could be wrong.

Right now I'm finishing up my Mech Eng degree then i plan on starting my own firearm shop, manufacturing ARs and a few others and designing some of my own. Trying to learn as much as I can to help out with that and i already have a few friends lined up to help as soon as i get this project off the ground.

You, and people like you, are the future of innovation in this field. You need to get your foot in the door with a couple of local SWAT teams in your area and by the Sgt. a cup of coffee, then pick his brain as to what he feels are glaring needs in the weapons equipment field.

For example, I can't believe that no one is making a B.A.D for the Armalite Ar-10 platform. No one. I can't believe it.

With the incredible demand in the field of accessories for the modern sporting rifles, and when you see how popular "out of stock" is on all the usual websites when it comes just about everything, I think you will do fine.

I think you could put together a basic class for the guys who've purchased the 80% lowers and teach them to finish their product, then how to measure it to confirm it is within limits. 1 hour of class time on shop safety, 1 hour of discussion on general machine theory, then a demo on setting up on the machines... then each student gets to set up his lower and go through the process of finishing the unit.

Anyway...you are gonna be busy, no matter what you choose.

Just another acquisition under the “Freedom Arms Group”  along with ...

Advanced Armament Corporation

Barnes Bullets

Bushmaster Firearms International

Dakota Arms

DPMS Panther Arms

H & R Firearms

Marlin

Mountain Khakis

Para USA[4]

Parker Gunmakers

Remington Arms

Remington Military

Remington LE

Remington PMPD

TAPCO

I HATE HOW THIS IS TURNING OUT...  :rant2:

is the complete list of FAG's? image.php?u=27347&dateline=1336767320

It kills me that Advanced Armament is on that list. Even more how they treated the owner after absorbing them. I think that they make some of the best suppressors on the market.

With that being said, I just received another of thier blackout QD muzzle brakes. They've re-designed them slightly, and I don't think that it's for engineering advancements. They've thinned out the walls around the ports, and moved the wrench-flats to the other side of the QD threads. I can't imagine that they're saving a whole lot of $ per unit. But you know how large corporations think. Don't know if this will inherently weaken the brake or not, only time (and rounds) will tell.

Ron

I've given up on innovation in this country. There's a few of us with the energy to innovate, but almost no part of the industry has any room for us.

Come up with anything fresh and you're just going to get ripped off. So why bother?

I believe part of that is the whoring out of production for so long to China and other sub-par locales.

About the only way to succeed is to take matters into your own hands.  Run your own production while carving out a niche, jealously protecting your proprietary mechanisms, and embracing improvements/advances.

Jon

I've never seen any real problems with the Chinese in the REAL firearm industry. It's our own neighbors, our own legal system and a few Europeans who are such a problem. At least from my experience.

Oppression on innovation rights of individuals has held us back ALLOT. Myself and a few other inventors I hold a few of eachother's cards. Between myself and others I know, we're sitting on a wide range of technology that the industry won't discover for another 10-20 years, if ever. Heck, I was sitting on stuff back in 2002 and 2003 that's just now coming to light.

Mind you, we're talking about myself, a dozen other folks and the idea or 2 we intrust one and other with. You cannot imagine how much advanced and valuable technology is just being sat on in this country due to the sleazy behavior in the industry.

I've never seen any real problems with the Chinese in the REAL firearm industry. It's our own neighbors, our own legal system and a few Europeans who are such a problem. At least from my experience.

The 1968 Gun Control Act was supported by a lot of domestic arms manufacturers.  No reason to not jack the price if people are forced to purchase firearms through a Federally licensed dealer, no longer able to order Italian surplus through the post office to your front door.

Our brothers to the North can still buy imported Norinco M14s for about $800.  Springfield would crap if we could get those.  ;D

We have a Chinese AK in 5.56 NATO.  Like most AKs, dead nuts.

Jon