• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

RRA Trigger

Dusty44

My LR-308 came with the factory trigger.  It measured 6 pounds break with that long first stage.  My (specific) trigger was not too bad,  no problem in dry fire.  At the range the long pull was unnerving.  The break needed more pressure than the slip-slide take-up but it felt to me like a long long pull of a brick over a smooth floor and then the last bump would result in the gun going 'bang.'  I never knew quite when it had reached that last bump or how far along it was in the process.  I researched triggers for a week or two and ended at my usual gunshop.  A better price for the trigger than any I had seen and with a deal on the gunsmith installing it,  it was an offer I could not refuse.

Range time on the RRA trigger finally on July 19,  2010.  In live fire I could feel the swing of the trigger pull back to a 'stop.'  Then with more pressure (4.5 pounds ?) the gun would just go 'boom.'

The RRA trigger feels to me like a good handgun trigger with a little take-up and a fantastic smooth clean break.  I found that I could pull/swing the trigger back to the stop and easily hold it there until I wanted to begin increasing the pressure for the shot.  If I decided not to shoot,  then just release the pressure and all was well.  For me it does not get any better.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

The 2 stage trigger that comes on RRA .308 is nice a little take up but breaks nice don't think its like glass but nice none the less.There has been mention of some trigger packs failing on high round shots an observation made by Jeff Gonzales at Trident during his lessons probbably more on 5.56 end.Have not heard of the gold trigger assy.,failing this is just based on what i have read both 5.56 & .308 RRA i have thier triggers are good for me.I can see where a light trigger on a rifle or handgun can be a bad thing increasing the chance of a negligent discharge of which no one wants.God bless America.Shoot on bros.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the things I do is to clean/wash my rifles, handguns,  black powder,  whatever, with Mobil One full synthetic --  mixed with 25% - 30% Kroil.  The actual synthetic oil sinks into the metal pores and otherwise semi-permanently creates a protective film on the metal.  In a car engine,  wear effectively stops when this kind of oil is introduced.  (Do not put synthetic oils into an old engine.  But that is beyond the scope of this forum.)  I do not expect to ever shoot enough rounds to wear out any trigger but it would be interesting to find out if the automotive full synthetic oil would keep a thinly case hardened (is that the problem?) trigger from wearing down excessively.  Having said all this,  I expect to be lectured about oil on triggers and oil collecting dirt.  In my experience,  the oils I use do not affect the trigger pull,  at least do not make the trigger unsafe.  Maybe the trigger contacting surfaces move against each other more like the engineers intended?  As for collecting dirt:  my guns clean up much more easily than they did before I started using this synthetic/Kroil mix (or before there were such oils).  The surfaces seem dry,  repel water/moisture,  clean up easily after shooting,  collect no more dirt or dust than they ever did before using these oils and I am no longer paranoid about taking a long-unused gun out of the back of a closet (the closet was another era.  My guns and ammo stay in gun safes and California-qualified cabinets) and finding rust all over it.  Anyway,  I continue to be delighted with the RRA trigger on my DPMS Panther.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

All I have to say is they are absolutely sexy. The Nickel Boron Coating takes the RRA NM 2stage to the next level. It was smooth out of the box when I got them back from the coater and now they are even better. I buffed out  the coating to a high gloss with an extremely fine polishing wheel and it is even slicker. I used a pull gauge and it brakes at a glassy 2 lbs. before I buffed it it was at a consistent 2.5 lbs.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...