• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

getting supplies

edgecrusher

For .308 I need to make the decision what I will stick with among the few I've tried. This will be IMR 4064, Hodgdon Varget or Hodgdon CFE223. But I'm thinking i'll pick two of those. The CFE for 175+ weight bullets & one other for 168's. I'll get a 8 pounder of each even though we're only allowed to possess 8 lbs max at any one time.

Primers I have 1400 rem #9 1/2 LRP, a few hundred CCI br2, WLP, CCI 200. Should more primers though.

Bullets I like Hornady AMAX 168's & 178's. I would like thousands of those but, ya' know.......

I even run Varget on the 5.56 55-gr reloads - the lighter ones.  Somewhere between 27.0 and 27.4 grains will have them singing. 

My reason for Varget is simple - it works very, very well with alot of calibers, and those are the calibers I have.  I run it for 5.56, .308 Win, 30-06, and I'm temped to try it for 8mm Mauser, when I get the dies and brass to start reloading that one. 

I can stock ONE rifle powder, for the guns I own and shoot.  <thumbsup>

I use a narrow range of powders , you will find that some bullet loadings will perform better with different components, be it primers or powder or both ( don't forget brass ) . The only primers I don't use are the Wolf brand .

I test & chronograph different bullet loadings with different primers & powder charges to get the best results with a particular load be it rifle /pistol. Its not just the FPS its also consistency in grouping & I usually find its the SD ( standard deviation  (low number )) that will produce consistent groups .

CCI 41 and 34 primers on all my loads, I use Varget alot but I also like to use military pulldown powders;

844 = H335

846 = BLC2

I like to buy in case lots 32 lbs at a rip, (keeps the same lot) You need a chrono to work up your loads, but once you are dialed in you have pleanty of powder on hand... here is a good link for Surplus powder info...

http://www.223reloads.com/home/223-5-56-info/223-5-56-reloading/wc-846-loads

I have a company I deal with that offers sized 308 brass for a reasonable price, most of the 223 brass I save from annual qualifications...

I usually find its the SD ( standard deviation  (low number )) that will produce consistent groups .

I agree, I have tried a broad range of powder loads and have consistently found that the lower amount of grains per load has brought the highest consistency in tighter groupings. Plus you are not beating the crap out of your action with the lower loads.

Picked up 8 lbs. of CFE 223 & 4 lbs of Unique along with a 1000 lr primers yesterday at the gun show. Was one of the first ones in so plenty of stock was left. Seemed like everybody was looking for magazines at the time but when that drys up I'm shore everybody is going to want to feed there EBR's 

CCI 41 and 34 primers on all my loads, I use Varget alot but I also like to use military pulldown powders;

844 = H335

846 = BLC2

I like to buy in case lots 32 lbs at a rip, (keeps the same lot) You need a chrono to work up your loads, but once you are dialed in you have pleanty of powder on hand... here is a good link for Surplus powder info...

http://www.223reloads.com/home/223-5-56-info/223-5-56-reloading/wc-846-loads

I have a company I deal with that offers sized 308 brass for a reasonable price, most of the 223 brass I save from annual qualifications...

I also use WC 846 for my 308 & 5.56 ammo ( & 30'06 ) , have been for over twenty five years, could be more . I'm down to my last 8#, so I need to get some more .

Mind your loads with this stuff , as said, lot to lot could have different results in chamber pressures. The cost & it being a good powder, makes choosing it easy for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so this week I pulled the trigger so to say. I ordered a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master kit, .223 and .308 RCBS full size dies and shell holders, and today on a lgs shopping spree (apparently no one has bought any reloading stuff ) I acquired three pounds of Varget, 3000 CCI #400 primers, 200 Sierra 77gr bthp mk's, and 100 Sierra 168gr bthp mk's.

Waiting for the kit, it was on back order at Cabela's, so I burned up all my gift cards, they say it will ship 1-25-13

Nice acquisitions, my brother.  Very nice.

The Varget is a score - if they have more, consider hitting them up again.  Also nice on the primers - the 400s are good, and don't let some people scare you about using them in an auto-loader.  There are stories out there that the non-srung AR firing pin sets them off when you chamber a round.  That may have happened somewhere, from a high primer, but I've never had it happen in properly loaded cases.

Projectiles are hard to find right now...  The Varget will run the two types you found, and run it very well.  <thumbsup>