• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

This Is Interesting

I have an order in for the MVP in .300 BLK at my local gun shop.  The problem is, he doesn't think the distributer will get any in.  The other problem is, I don't think they will either.  At least I'm on the wishlist, and if a token rifle happens to make it to the distributer, I'll have a good chance for it.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an order in for the MVP in .300 BLK at my local gun shop.  The problem is, he doesn't think the distributer will get any in.  The other problem is, I don't think they will either.  At least I'm on the wishlist, and if a token rifle happens to make it to the distributer, I'll have a good chance for it.

If you can find a place to make a barrel, there is a guy on the MVP forum that has made the tool(s) to change out the barrel.  I don't know if anyone has done it yet, but they will certainly beat Mossberg to it, if they haven't already. 

The 18.5" MVP just went out-of-stock at RifleGear, and they were about the last people to have them.  Honestly don't know where you can find one now.

Gawd Damn, I love some mag-fed bolt guns.  BAD!  :o <thumbsup>

post-71-136297288075_thumb.jpg

Nice lineup! 

I've tried to get a Badger Ordnance magazine kit for my Rem 700 in .308 for years, but nobody has EVER had them in stock.  So I went with the simplistic Mag-X-Tender.  8 rounds, but still captured. 

How does the Gunsite Scout treat you?  I had a scout mount on the Rem, but I could only get one or two good shots before the barrel started to heat up, warp the mount, and tweak the scope.  All the succeeding shots were off. 

I would have to wait for it to cool down before I could get an X ring hit.  I would usually take a shot or two from it, then shoot my LAR-308 for a magazine or so, then slide over and shoot another one or two rounds.  I got rid of the scout mount and now I can shoot it hot, and still hit well.  So far scout mounts don't agree with me. 

Nice lineup! 

I've tried to get a Badger Ordnance magazine kit for my Rem 700 in .308 for years, but nobody has EVER had them in stock.  So I went with the simplistic Mag-X-Tender.  8 rounds, but still captured. 

Try out the bottom metal setup from Battle Arms Development - that's the one I used.  It is one sweet, sweet setup - and Roger probably has them ready to ship right now.  <thumbsup>

http://308ar.com/forum/battle-arms-development/battle-arms-develpment-bad-dbm/

How does the Gunsite Scout treat you? 

Probably the most versatile rifle I have ever owned.  I can't say enough about it.  Once you shoot one, you'll be hooked.  :o ;D

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one of those Mossberg 4x4's when they came out. Marinecoat, syn stock, 30-06. Damn what a shoulder thumper. Nobody wanted to shoot it twice. Had a hard time zeroing in the scope.

Took about six months of sending emails before Mossberg would sell me a laminated stock. Cost me $150 but it looks great should add some weight to the rifle. Still haven't shot it after 8 months or so. Still have the memories of it thumping real hard.

I have a TCR in 300 win mag that isn't as bad and a 12 ga slug barrel that shoots 3" that isn't as bad. as that 4x4 was. I'll get ambitious when it warms up. Just too many others I'd rather shoot. Should have bought it in 308. I have a nice Ruger Xl77 Bull barrel laminated stock in 308 probably the reason I didn't buy the 4x4 in 308. Now that one is real nice but very heavy. Bolt feels like it is on ball bearings and the trigger  is sweet as it came from the factory.

Maybe I missed it...are these suppose to work with poly mags? Guy I work with just got one and its fine with metal but we tried Troy, pmags, and lancers with no luck. They will lock in if you wiggle them enough but they are loose and the mag release gets really tight. He says you can rip them out without the mag release if you pull hard.

Mine locks in on 20 and 30 Pmags, Lancer L5 30s, USGI 30s, and the Surefire 60.  Haven't tried to rip them out, but if you wiggle them, they don't come out.  Test fired them all, and they stay in place when firing, and don't come out.  Didn't honestly shoot the full Surefire 60, but it was fully loaded when I started with it - removed it before I burned through 60 expensive-and-hard-to-find rounds...  <laughs>  The Pmag 20 is the best, all around, IMHO. 

• 1 year later...

Well, as things would have it, I didn't like that giant, heavy scope on this rifle.  For what it is, it should have something light.  I searched for quite awhile, got hands-on a few different scopes to check them out, and finally settled on something permanent for this rifle.  I think I came up with the perfect combination for it.

Nikon P-223 BDC Carbine.  It's a fixed 3-power scope, short, and light.  Comes in at 8.1" long and 12.2 ounces.  The reticle is their BDC reticle, with the center hash set for 200 yards.  Two ticks below are 400 and 600 yards.  Mostly, what I was after was the thing is already ticked-out and set up for 55-grain ammo on the hash marks.  With the MVP rolling a 1-9" twist, that's about the best twist for 55gr rounds through it, and not the heavies.  This scope is everything I need for this rifle.

opplanet-nikon-p-223-3x32-rifle-scope-84

Reticle:

NIKON-P-223-3x32-Rifle-Scope-BDC-Carbine

Took it out last Thursday - fuckin HOT out!  Dawn Marie did NOT miss the chance at a shoot, so she loaded up her Ghost-BLK.

P1010172_zps1f3e327c.jpg

Set stuff up for a 50/200 zero on mine.  Get the 50 close on it, and check some different ammo.

P1010173_zps22df6f0b.jpg

We were only out until about 12:30pm, and decided to get the hell out of there.  This was as soon as we got back:

P1010175_zps710d088d.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

Coincidentally, we set a heat record today (24 July) in Phx.  Previous record high for today was 114 degrees.  We got 116 degrees today.  Just trivia, but that's pretty hot.  :tweed:

Here's how it's set up now, and how it will stay:

P1010176_zps334e5c40.jpg

So you don't have to turn your monitor or pull your neck...  <lmao>

P1010177_zpsc3e3adfb.jpg

Closer look at the scope:

P1010178_zpscb603d56.jpg

P1010179_zps63864f8c.jpg

Zero with 55 grain M193 ammo, and then shot onto targets with various ammo:

Ammo_zps0a3c9d9b.jpg

Upper left here was the M193 55gr stuff.  Upper right target - I was really shooting at that upper right bull - was Federal American Eagle M855, 62gr green tip.  This rifle DOES NOT LIKE M855 at all.  Dead center was surprising - Prvi Partizan 69gr HPBT Match.  That heavy (or heavier, for a 1-9" twist) did really well. 

Ammo_zps0a3c9d9b.jpg

I wish I had some of my 55gr handloads out there, but didn't take any with me.  I'll never shoot M855 through this thing again.  I will use more M193, 55gr through it, and test it more.  I'll definitely run my 55gr handloads through it, and I'm interested in shooting more 69gr PPU Match in it to see how it does at longer distances.

Next up, once it cools a little - testing the 50-yards zero dead-on at 200 yards, on steel targets.  <thumbsup>

Edited by 98Z5V

pretty hot today. AC went out in my work truck at 8 am. by noon, you couldn't touch any of the metal surfaces with bare skin. didn't get finished until 3. was starting to worry about the shotgun ammo detonating. was so hot I got the chills when I stepped into the 110 degree heat of outside. /threadjack

I really like that rifle. my buddy has his shooting tiiiiiiny little groups at 100. think he's running a weaver 3-10x mil/mil on his. his also hates M855. seems to love the light stuff.

Edited by blue109

his also hates M855. seems to love the light stuff.

That 1-9" twist will do that.  I think my 55gr handloads with Varget will do some amazing stuff through this one.  I've never purchased any 52 grain stuff before, but I think I will, just to try in this one.  52 gr Hornady Amax might be on the next shopping list.

I was shocked at how the PPU 69gr did in it.  Shouldn't have done as well as it did, by math.

Edited by 98Z5V

Very nice rifle! Didn't I shoot that one at the Casa Grande Range?

A friend of mine that was sitting at the table with us at the NRA banquet the other night walked out of there with one of those. He's a CASS competitor and said he may sell it or trade it off, he didn't have much use for that configuration.

Nice!, took a quick look at the link at the start of this thread and saw this .308 version of the predator (also interesting!) oh man, I've gotta

get my build(s) done first but....

http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles-bolt-action-centerfire-mvp-series-mvp-predator-mvp-predator-20-sporter-barrel-scope-1?u_field_prod_caliber=7.62mm+NATO+%28.308+WIN%29@595&nodeRef=3825,3827,3943&redirect=1&lastnode=1&filterNodes=3943

Edited by guruofhotrod

Very nice brother,like the look.That stock would look great on the Garand.How the fuk can you have humidity there with that heat ???

Monsoon season, brother - we get a little humidity in July and some of August, just based on that.  Combine some humidity to the temps we get, and it's fukkin brutal.

Very nice rifle! Didn't I shoot that one at the Casa Grande Range?

You sure did, my good man - it was wearing the 3-9x40 on it then.  <thumbsup>

Nice!, took a quick look at the link at the start of this thread and saw this .308 version of the predator (also interesting!) oh man, I've gotta

get my build(s) done first but....

For a short, mag-fed .308 bolt gun, I'm VERY partial to the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle.  VERY partial to it.  I think it's the perfect rifle. 

100_0168.jpg

It's here: