• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New LR308 build

sillbeer

Greetings,

I posted a little earlier in the introduction thread and added my build along with it.  That's probably not the best place to post my build so I decided to start a thread specifically about it.

So far for my build I have the following.

LR308 lower receiver with stock DPMS lower parts kit.

Stock trigger for now

Magpul MOE grip

DPMS upper receiver minus BCG

PWS Enhanced buffer tube

Magpul CTR stock

JP Enterprises silent buffer

JP Enterprises low mass BCG on order

Fulton Armory Krieger Criterion 18.5" barrel

Parts I'm contemplating on and still need.

Troy TRX handguard, is there a lighter option for around the same price?

Syrac Ordnance adjustable gas block, has anyone used this?  I like the fact it doesn't require locktite and it has a detent pin.

Rifle length gas tube

Probably upgrade the trigger after I get a few rounds threw it.

Larue LT104 scope mount

Undecided on which muzzle brake to use, may go suppressed in the future.  I have a friend with an Advanced Armament setup and he loves it.

For the scope i'm still undecided.  I was thinking the Leupold Mark AR 4-12 power since it's a really light scope but recently started looking at the Trijicon 5-20 power Accupoint.

Overall for the build i'm shooting for a lightweight all around rifle that's affective out to 600 yards.

- Destin

18.5" Fulton Armory barrel, 1x10 twist, chrome lined.

photo-18-L.jpg

Complete lower receiver and upper receiver minus BCG.

photo-19-L.jpg

As it sits now.

photo-18-L.jpg

Unless they changed the grip, it doesn't cover the takedown spring, and the spring can slide right down in the grip.  You either have to build the grip up with epoxy (form a shelf to hold the spring), or set-screw the spring into the lower.

I set screw my stuff. 

Nah, I've got a comparo pic of both grip openings somewhere on this site.

Here's the MIAD, can't find the MOE.  I'll find it somewhere.  They were both formed the same, so it looks like they've changed it, based in the pic up there ^^^

MIAD2.jpg

• 3 months later...

Update on the build.

After almost 3 months I got my JP Enterprises low mass BCG.  I'm about to order a gas tube, Syrac Ordnance adjustable gas block, muzzle brake, scope mount and scope.

Here's a list of the things I'm about to order.  Just wanted your input on them, specifically the scope.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/428898/leupold-mark-ar-mod-1-rifle-scope-6-18x-40mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-adjustable-objective-fine-duplex-reticle-matte?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductDesc

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/861836/pri-muzzle-brake-quiet-control-5-8-24-thread-ar-10-lr-308-steel-matte?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductDesc

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/124888/yankee-hill-machine-gas-tube-rifle-ar-15-lr-308-black-plated?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductDesc

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/321768/syrac-ordnance-click-adjustable-gas-block-ar-15-lr-308-standard-barrel-0750-inside-diameter-clamp-on-low-profile-steel-matte?cm_cat=Cart&cm_pla=ProductDesc

My goal is to have a light weight multi purpose rifle.  I don't think I'll ever be shooting past 600 yards.  I might attempt to shoot that far or further when shooting with friends but it won't be for any competitions.  The reason I chose this scope is because it's one of the lighter ones i've seen and Leupolds are known to be decent scopes.

What do you think of this mount?  I'm not looking to have backup sights on the gun so this might be overkill.

http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-spr-e-lt-139

Thanks,

- Destin

Edited by sillbeer

I really like the glass on the Trijicon Accupoint over the Leupold. Also, I'm not sure if Leupold has come out with a .308 BDC for their AR model. The .223/5.56 turrets on the AR model are calibrated to track that specific bullet.  

Larue makes great mounts and I have a few that I've used throughout the years. What is the average yardage you'll be shooting? Any "chances" of shooting long range yards? If so, look into a mount with a 20 MOA cant. Give Larue a call and they'll help you choose the mount that you will need for your specific application.

Edited by Goofball310

I doubt I'll be doing much over 600 yards.  The gun will mostly be used for hunting.

I ended up buying this scope.  I won't have it in my hands for a couple more weeks.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/667474/leupold-mark-ar-mod-1-rifle-scope-6-18x-40mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-adjustable-objective-mil-dot-reticle-matte

I can buy a .308 specific turret from the Leupold custom store for about $50.  I would consider the Trijicon scope but it's just a little more than I want to spend.  It's also 11 oz heavier.

I talked to a Larue rep and they recommended the LT-104 mount.

Thanks for the replies.  I'll post more pics as I get parts and I'll try to get weights for the specific parts.

• 2 months later...

Here's some pics.

I'm contemplating changing out the CTR for an STR.  I also still have the stock trigger in it.  I'll put a few clips through it and see how it shoots.

I still need to pick up the Larue scope mount and some head space gauges then I'll be ready to break it in.

_MG_6750-M.jpg

_MG_6752-M.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry I haven't updated this thread.  I had a baby boy in October plus I just started up school again, full time….ugh.  Anyways I'm having some headspace issues with it.  I bought some Clymer go/no go gauges and it's a a little tight.  I've tried to ease the bolt forward and it doesn't seat on the go gauge.  I've let it go at about half pull and it jams on the gauge and is tough to pull back and unseat.  I used a sharpie and painted a live round all up an put it in.  It seats good with half pull on the BCG but it's a little tight pulling back.  It has a few marks on it around the neck and some minor scrapes down the side.  Not near as bad as the go gauge.  I imagine that's due to the case being brass and moldable versus the gauge being steel.  I've contacted a local gunsmith to check it out and possibly ream out the chamber if necessary.

Guys at work have been teasing me about it being a closet queen.  I've had the lower receiver for almost 4 years now.  I really need to get this thing out.

- Destin

Edited by sillbeer

I took it to the range today.  The range was closed but a buddy of mine is a range official and opened it up for a few of us from work.

I had the scope zero'd and first shot at 50 yards was about 4" low and dead center on the paper.  I walked it up to dead center then went out to 100 yards and was surprised it was about 12" high.  I brought it back down to zero at 100.

I was really impressed with how well it shot.  I was expecting it to kick a lot harder than it did, as a matter of fact it didn't bother me at all.  Both of the guys next to me kept complaining because of the side blast from the brake.  I'm running the Pri muzzle brake.  I put a box of Winchester 150 grains through it.  It's currently at the gunsmiths getting checked out and make sure all is well with it.

I'm not a marksman or professional operator by any means but this gun felt good and it eases my mind knowing how much I have wrapped up in it.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up my rifle last week.  The gunsmith said the only way to check the head space was to take the barrel off and check it with a gage.  I was watching videos on youtube where guys were using the gauges with the rifle fully assembled.

It shot fine and the smith told me it was good.  Now only if I can find some time to shoot some more.   :auto:

I picked up my rifle last week.  The gunsmith said the only way to check the head space was to take the barrel off and check it with a gage.  I was watching videos on youtube where guys were using the gauges with the rifle fully assembled.

It shot fine and the smith told me it was good.  Now only if I can find some time to shoot some more.   :auto:

I would look for a new Gunsmith !

Sorry I haven't updated this thread.  I had a baby boy in October plus I just started up school again, full time….ugh.  Anyways I'm having some headspace issues with it.  I bought some Clymer go/no go gauges and it's a a little tight.  I've tried to ease the bolt forward and it doesn't seat on the go gauge.  I've let it go at about half pull and it jams on the gauge and is tough to pull back and unseat.  I used a sharpie and painted a live round all up an put it in.  It seats good with half pull on the BCG but it's a little tight pulling back.  It has a few marks on it around the neck and some minor scrapes down the side.  Not near as bad as the go gauge.  I imagine that's due to the case being brass and moldable versus the gauge being steel.  I've contacted a local gunsmith to check it out and possibly ream out the chamber if necessary.

Guys at work have been teasing me about it being a closet queen.  I've had the lower receiver for almost 4 years now.  I really need to get this thing out.

- Destin

You probably should read up on Head Spacing , the way you described your procedure , I would not be surprised if your gage is compromised . 

The ejector should be removed for proper head spacing & some gages need the Extractor removed also , you only use light finger pressure to see if gage & bolt seat , not the buffer spring pressure or letting the BCG drop on the gage , it can make the precision gage useless  .

Aslo wipe bolt & Barrel extension locking lugs of excess lubricants .

The Ejector puts pressure on the gage & can cause it to give false readings. If there is a grove at the back of the gage for the Extractor , it can be left in the Bolt .