• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Camo clothing

Robocop1051

Anyone wear any of the new stuff?? I bought my old "Real Tree" gear about 10-15 years ago. It's still in ok condition (a little faded), but I have lost a LOT of weight since then.

I'm now looking at the new A-TACS and the Kryptek camo. I like the ATAC print, but all the clothes I see are military style. The kryptek clothing is more focused for hunting, and designed for layering (very important for CA hunting).

I'm debated, which ever style I choose, should I do all one color? Or mix and match different colors (tan with green)?

So far, Kryptek is only made by Kryptek, but available everywhere. ATACs is made by a bunch of people (www.SORDUSA.com and www.Tactical-Performance.com are my two favorites) but really only available online.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Reviews? Experience?

I'm debated, which ever style I choose, should I do all one color? Or mix and match different colors (tan with green)?

Mixing depends on your terrain and veg, brother.  For you, and what I know about the Monterey area (example), you could wear tan-based bottoms and green-based tops - that would blend well with that dry-ass brown kneehigh grass, and the green veg on the low trees.

Used to wear woodland BDU bottoms with an overwhite jacket, in Alaska, in some terrain.  poop works.  <thumbsup>

ATACS - I love that stuff, and want a ton of it.  It's one hell of a pattern.

I really like the Sitka Gear for layering when hunting. It is lightweight and moves well. The major downside is it is expensive. My second choice is realtree ap from none other than Bass Pro. Tom nailed it, it is terrain and veg dependent, and in GA, realtree does he best job for me. The Kryptek stuff is cool, but have never seen any of close.

I have MARPAT, Multicam, woodland, and OD for work and when I hunt, I much prefer the commercial offerings.

I played with Kryptek when I was at Cabelas last Friday. I especially liked the style and fabric they used. It's very similar to my off road gear. The base layers are all synthetic, breathable, moisture-wicking. The cover layers are synthetic as well, and insulate at varying levels.

I too was looking at the green over tan. Tom hit it on the head with our CA colors. If it's on the ground it's golden/brown about 80% of the year. Then most of our trees/bushes are green all year.

I remember Sitka when they were at Cabelas. A whole outfit cost $1,000!!! It was nice stuff, and looked good, but it was more than I was ready to spend.

A whole outfit cost $1,000!!! It was nice stuff, and looked good, but it was more than I was ready to spend...on something that didn't attach to an AR.

Fixed it for you.  <laughs>

Why not get some good wicking base-color clothes, take your old-too-small-now camo and cut it in strips to within a couple of inches to the seams, and use it as a Ghillie suit?

Jon

• 9 months later...

I just stopped in at Bass Pro and picked up a whole new set of realtree. After losing 90# I looked a little silly hunting in my old XXL stuff. I grabbed a jacket, pants and a shirt for around $100... I LOVE THAT PLACE!

Grabbed a pair of Vertx Kryptek pants this weekend. The highlander print is like multicam from the future. I think I have the Kryptek bug now. I'm looking at a HSP chest rig in the same print.

If I see a new camo pattern I'm interested in , I first buy the hat (least expensive , most of the time ) & take it into my hunting environment & place it on the ground or on a tree limb & look at it from various distances & light conditions , just to see how it blends . Some camo patterns are too large or too small & they can stick out like a sore thumb , close or far or in different light conditions.

Edited by survivalshop

I love Marpat, and I still prefer pure fleese over anything else I have used in the last 30 years  it is light , warm and easy to layer and it only holds 1% of it's weight in moisture.... where good Polypropalene underware or body armour and you are good to go....

Robo check out Promotive. You can qualify for LE/Mil quals for serious discounts on a lot of cool stuff plus camo gear. Some of it is 80% off. Send me your email via PM and I will invite you directly. KILLER deals.

I joined them a long time ago, when I was trying to get into the Sitka Gear. After trying on the stuff I decided I didn't want to look like a fashion show... It kind of ruined my "cowboy" image. Bass Pro's "ReadHead" was a perfect match for my style... and was ridiculously inexpensive!