• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What are your top choices for a 22 rifle?

jrtmasp

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm torn between the Savage TR, Savage FV-SR, and a Ruger 10/22 Tactical with Hogue stock. All are very nice. The Savage FV-SR with a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire scope puts me in well under $500 from a buddy that owns a gun store. Although the rimfire uppers are nice, I'd like a dedicated rifle right now. I'll have to give it a bit more thought.

Thanks to all that gave some imput. Keep it coming if you have any other recommendations.

Both of those Savage rifles are on my list, and I would buy the TR now if he could get one, any discounts if we double up? I too will use that scope! Let me know j, I'm ready!

Both of those Savage rifles are on my list, and I would buy the TR now if he could get one, any discounts if we double up? I too will use that scope! Let me know j, I'm ready!

Greg, in about another month and a half I'll get prices for two (if you can wait that long lol). This friend was the same that was unable to get a KAC in when I first joined the forum. It wasn't his fault due to obscene demands but I don't know what the wait will be on those. I'm guessing not too bad because it's no SR15E3. I'll send an email out at that point so I can move right away when I have the cash in hand. I'm sure we can double up for the same price. It's that place in Uxbridge so it's a hike for both of us.

Heres my 10/22's for inspiration. The red one has a threaded muzzle

I'll take one of each please. Very nice rifles. How much would you say you have invested for the one on the right? I want to know what I'm in for when I get bored and start upgrading.

Greg, in about another month and a half I'll get prices for two (if you can wait that long lol). This friend was the same that was unable to get a KAC in when I first joined the forum. It wasn't his fault due to obscene demands but I don't know what the wait will be on those. I'm guessing not too bad because it's no SR15E3. I'll send an email out at that point so I can move right away when I have the cash in hand. I'm sure we can double up for the same price. It's that place in Uxbridge so it's a hike for both of us.

Awesome, I have cash in hand now, so just let me know! I will wait as long as I can!

Sorry, Microgunner.

As Towsand Whelan once said,"  Only ACCURATE rifles are interesting.LOL!!

Terry

It's accurate enough. Certainly minute of squirrel.

Just not as accurate as my Anschutzes, Volquartsens, Win. 75 Target, Izhmash CM-2 and the like.

Of course, it wasn't intended to be.

But those rifles are well over the OP's $500 budget.

ah yeah, one of the "no fun allowed" states. I'm itching to put a suppressor on that one, would make for even more fun factor. but its nice to have 30 round magazines that you can dump in a few seconds and stay accurate with given the non-existent recoil anyhow.

.22LR bolt rifles with a can are ridiculously quiet.  All you heard here was the click of the trigger, then the impact on steel next.  My kid did REAL well that day - made me proud!   <thumbsup>

post-7-0-65885900-1368857453_thumb.jpg

.22LR bolt rifles with a can are ridiculously quiet.  All you heard here was the click of the trigger, then the impact on steel next.  

That's one reason I'm hesitant to get a suppressor for a .22 rifle.  With several brands of "quiet" ammo, my manual-action .22s are quieter than pellet rifles.

Jon

ah yeah, one of the "no fun allowed" states. I'm itching to put a suppressor on that one, would make for even more fun factor. but its nice to have 30 round magazines that you can dump in a few seconds and stay accurate with given the non-existent recoil anyhow.

I just picked up a black dog 50 round drum for my ar kit :)

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:51 PM

Personally, I don't really think that there is a "good" 22 sporter out there, anymore. The Marlin 2000 was a good gun, also the "old" Remington 541 delux. or the older Winchester, don't rember the model.

I'v been pondering this myself, latley.

Respectfully

Terry

I'm in complete agreement with you.  I've owned a newer Savage rimfire rifle, and it can't hold a candle to my old Winchester Model 69.  For $500 you could pick one up from gunbroker and have quite a bit left over for mounting a scope (or ammo- if you can find it ;)).

post-12861-0-20044800-1369369355_thumb.j

I've shot the Marlin 2000 in the summer biathlon competition, and they are nice rifles, but I have never found one locally, and the prices they want for one on Gunbroker astounds me.  Here's a photo of a pair of shooters/runners (with their Marlin 2000 club guns) after a summer biathlon competition:

post-12861-0-61618600-1369369687_thumb.j

Edited by gunbunny

I'm in complete agreement with you. I've owned a newer Savage rimfire rifle, and it can't hold a candle to my old Winchester Model 69. For $500 you could pick one up from gunbroker and have quite a bit left over for mounting a scope (or ammo- if you can find it ;)).

attachicon.gif001 (1368 x 1824).jpg

I've shot the Marlin 2000 in the summer biathlon competition, and they are nice rifles, but I have never found one locally, and the prices they want for one on Gunbroker astounds me. Here's a photo of a pair of shooters/runners (with their Marlin 2000 club guns) after a summer biathlon competition:

attachicon.gifbiathlon3.jpg

This isn't an immediate purchase for me so I'll check out those ones as well. It seems there are almost endless options and or upgrades out there. Edited by jrtmasp

Today I took only the Savage MKIIFSS to the range and ran a couple of hundred rounds through it.

After zeroing for the Remington Golden Duds, I set out working on basic rifle skills I've been neglecting.

The AccuTrigger is set at about 3#, and it has the HiViz sights (green rear, red front).  Even with that setup on this light rifle, it was easy to pick off left over chunks of plastic bottles, wood, or paper at about 120 yards...usually first shot.

You should seriously take a good look at these little Savage bolt-actions!

Jon

When I had my retail shop open,,,,,,,,I saw WAY to many Savages come in for repair or adjustment.........

Had a Marlin 2000 with the origional blue stock.   Very accurate.   but I doubt that I put more than 20 rounds through it ,sat in the safe for years, untill I sold it to one of our 4-H shooters

Sometimes you just can't get away from old predjucies.

Respectfully

Terry.

Edited by Tripledeuce

When I had my retail shop open,,,,,,,,I saw WAY to many Savages come in for repair or adjustment......

Respectfully

Terry.

Really?  Savage was one of the few makes of which we only sent back one example.

Of the big brands the biggest surprise was S&W.  We sent back lots and lots...quite a few from the Performance Center.

Jon

Funny how things work, isn't it?

In the '60s, the shop I bought was a authorised Savage repair station.  They did away with those befor I bought the store.   Still, I saw a bunch of Savages.

Funny, I can only rember sending back 2 S&W's,   both for bluing problems.  My only problem was trying to get enough to sell.   I even forged a  friendship with a guy in Guam, and brought them back to the mainland.   BOY  was the Customs Service  ever a pain!!!!!   Had to get a friend at ATF to run interfience!LOL!!!

I was out of the retail business befor the Performance Center started getting big.   Never handled one of their guns while I was in business.

Respectfully

Terry