• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What are your top choices for a 22 rifle?

jrtmasp

I want to get some opinions on the best 22 rifles on the market for $500 or under? No top quality competition level models will be considered, but that's not to say that it wouldn't be fun to just hear about a few on this level as well...there's a budget on this one. Savage, Ruger, or something else? Also, what would your choice be for a scope?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not an expert but I have owned a buttload of .22 rifles.

Right now we have a Savage/Stevens 64F, their MKII FSS, a Ruger 10/22 in a Tapco T6 stock with a Timney trigger group, a Marlin 795 with the DIP trigger and floorplate/trigger guard and wooden stock, their model 39M lever, a Remington 572 pump, a Springfield/Stevens bolt-action, and a Rossi Youth Combo 410/.22 single shot.

Of all those, I can't pick a favorite but can exclude the Rossi and 64F as choices for "top dog".

Most are well under $500, and the 39 and 572 can be found for under that...if you shop.  The 10/22 has its own sickness with accessories, much like ARs...there are literally thousands of aftermarket items for them.

If you want something that shoots well, with a satisfying "Hey! I hit it!" accuracy with most any type of .22LR ammo, the MKII and 795 are hard to beat right out of the box!  10/22 is also but as soon as you get it, you'll be shopping accessories.

Jon

My favorite .22 is my 77/22. I love that little guy. Always wanted a Browning Buckmark but never jumped on it.

Believe the words of caution on the 10/22. Not only are they addicting, but they will justify larger expenses for your AR's. Soon you'll be saying, "If I can spend $100 on a .22 part, I can definitely afford $500 on an AR15 part."

I have a Ruger MKIII Competition handgun so I'm partial to the Rugers. I haven't owned a 22 rifle since I was a kid so it would be nice to get one sooner rather than later. I was watching one of those Top Shot shows awhile back and caught a glimpse of a Volquart$en...very nice but definately way above the $500 mark and the wait list is well over a year last time I checked.

Bolt - Savage FV-SR, in a Boyd's Tacticool stock, and DIP bottom metal setup:

FV-SRpaintdone.jpg

Semi - Ruger 10/22, any flavor.  There's nothing that you can't do to these things...  I'll provide gunsmithing tips, when necessary.  <thumbsup>

000_0070.jpg

For a scope, I highly, highly, highly, highly, highly recommend the Nikon ProStaff Rimfire 22, 3-9x40, with BDC150 reticle.  There is none finer for a .22 rifle.

6725_ProStaff_RS_3-9x40_Rimfire_front.pn

Edited by 98Z5V

98Z5V pm me I'm Having trouble with my 10/22 thanks sketch.

Brother, just shoot me a PM with the issues you're having...  I'll help, but making house calls is something else, man.  <laughs>

You guys will keep me busy for awhile with all this info. Lots of reading to do to check out all these great toys. My wife's first time shooting a gun last year ended with her crying because she was scared...lol. I need to get her into something small. A 22 would be great. Of course I'll probably hog it and have to get two.

I haden't thought of the Kimber, as around here, they go VERY dear!

Had a marlin 2000 with the original McMillen stock, didn't shoot it much, to heavy.  Sold it to one of our 4-h junior shooters.

Had a 77/22, somehow I just could not "warm" to it.

Have a 10-22 all original in the safe, 200th year model.  Hasn't been out of the safe in almost 20 years.

Been thinking of a 10-22 with a carbon fibor bbl, but keep thinking back to shooting rabbits at 200 yards with my old Win 75.

Now, THAT was fun!!!

Ever try to find one of the "old" Winchesters or remington bolt guns, recently???

Scarcer than hens teeth, unless you spend rediculous.

Respectfully

Terry

Try a CMMG .22lr upper for you AR-15.

imschur turned me onto the CMMG Sierra and altough far from my most accuirate .22lr rifle (I own a lot of .22lr rifles) it's certainly one of the most fun.

And everytime I pull the trigger I get to use that expensive AR-15 lower.

cmmgupper002.jpg

cmmgupper003.jpg

Try a CMMG .22lr upper for you AR-15.

imschur turned me onto the CMMG Sierra and altough far from my most accuirate .22lr rifle (I own a lot of .22lr rifles) it's certainly one of the most fun.

And everytime I pull the trigger I get to use that expensive AR-15 lower.

cmmgupper002.jpg

cmmgupper003.jpg

That's my next perchance I think

I'm torn between the Savage TR, Savage FV-SR, and a Ruger 10/22 Tactical with Hogue stock. All are very nice. The Savage FV-SR with a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire scope puts me in well under $500 from a buddy that owns a gun store. Although the rimfire uppers are nice, I'd like a dedicated rifle right now. I'll have to give it a bit more thought.

Thanks to all that gave some imput. Keep it coming if you have any other recommendations.