• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Sierra or Ergo Tactical Deluxe grips

Justintoxicated

This will be going on my long range AR with 24" heavy barrel, I have found every grip kinda small so far.  Right now I have the original ergo and its way too small and I do not like it.  This rifle will mostly be shot from a bench.

I like my new BCM grip on my more tactical AR, but I don't think the improved grip angle will matter much when shooting long range.  I'd rather have a nice fat large grip that puts my finger where it is supposed to be.  

I know grips are kind of a personal thing, but I'm hoping maybe that someone has tried both and can provice some good feedback.  it would be nice to have a storage area to keep my BB tool / wrench but not required.

edit: if a mod could fix the typo in the title (since I can't), that would be great,

thx.

Edited by Justintoxicated

I've got no room to brag here. I could only date women with small hands, or midgets and dwarfs.

Always a boost to the confidence level lol.

I really enjoy the Ergo grip because of it's overall size and it helps me maintain a great hold on my AR. It's the most comfortable grip I've ever used. I just bought a Magpul MIAD so I'm looking forward to shooting with that as well...also a very nice grip.

I have a maid if anyone wants to trade for a MOE+

The MOE+ is my favorite pistol grip out there right now. The fit and feel are perfect for my hand.

I'm still expecting to buy the MOE-K2 when it gets released, but seeing as how it is still polymer, I doubt it will replace any of my MOE+ grips.

I have Hogue, Ergo Original, and the BCM grip.  I like the BCM and the improved grip angle on my battle style rifle and would imagine it is similar to the MAID?  The Ergo Tactical is much fatter though, and a lot of people like the Sierra.  They say it puts your trigger finger in the same place every time and the tip of your finger will be on the trigger, rather than the second  part of your joint.  It certainly isn't a looker though IMO.

I have Hogue, Ergo Original, and the BCM grip. I like the BCM and the improved grip angle on my battle style rifle and would imagine it is similar to the MAID? The Ergo Tactical is much fatter though, and a lot of people like the Sierra. They say it puts your trigger finger in the same place every time and the tip of your finger will be on the trigger, rather than the second part of your joint. It certainly isn't a looker though IMO.

The below pics are of the Ergo Tactical I have on my AR-308. Keep in mind that the flash washed out the black look in the second one and that's why it's gray. As you can see, it will fill out most larger hands. The look grows on you quickly. It's very nice but I enjoy giving other products a chance as well. I will likely have a Magpul MIAD and a Mako grip on my next two. Hogue is a classic grip. Anyone that likes Hogue will almost certainly enjoy an Ergo grip.

post-13504-0-33151300-1370269652_thumb.j

post-13504-0-37736000-1370269672_thumb.j

Edited by jrtmasp

The below pics are of the Ergo Tactical I have on my AR-308. Keep in mind that the flash washed out the black look in the second one and that's why it's gray. As you can see, it will fill out most larger hands. The look grows on you quickly. It's very nice but I enjoy giving other products a chance as well. I will likely have a Magpul MIAD and a Mako grip on my next two. Hogue is a classic grip. Anyone that likes Hogue will almost certainly enjoy an Ergo grip.

Looks different than the one on brownells?

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-forend-parts/grips/pistol-grips/ar-15-m16-tactical-deluxe-grip-prod54344.aspx

MIAD looks nice, but I can't figure out what is SOOOO nice about it over others. 

I had just about made up my mind to try the Sierra, since this is more of a precision rifle, but I don't know if it will properly hold the rear takedown detent?  I guess I could always find a set screw for the detent instead if required though?

What is the advantage of the palm shelf?  

Also what is the difference between the AR15 and 308 version?  I can't figure it out but the place I want to order from only have the AR-15 version.

I'm still leaning to try the Sierra. It certainly isn't a looker though.  Worse case I cold replace the hogue on my Longer Rage 223 with it, I like the hoge well enough but wish the palm swell was larger and I don't care for finger groves, although really the groves on the hogue fit me pretty well , I wear a large / xl glove depending on the glove.

Just..., your link was broken so I'm not sure what Brownells has it listed as. It's not a deluxe which should be the shelf grip. Mine has the spacer and you need a spacer for many of the grips today because of the larger receiver size for the 308. I've seen it listed under 3 different names. The palm shelf is more a precision rifle grip for mostly stationary shooting. At least that's the only reason that I would use a grip wih a palm shelf for. Good luck with your selection.

Just..., your link was broken so I'm not sure what Brownells has it listed as. It's not a deluxe which should be the shelf grip. Mine has the spacer and you need a spacer for many of the grips today because of the larger receiver size for the 308. I've seen it listed under 3 different names. The palm shelf is more a precision rifle grip for mostly stationary shooting. At least that's the only reason that I would use a grip wih a palm shelf for. Good luck with your selection.

Thanks for your help, I ended up going with this one http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-forend-parts/grips/pistol-grips/ar-15-m16-spr-pistol-grip-prod14294.aspx  If it sucks I'll end up picking up the tatical delux 308 version.  I guess I could remove the spacer if it is not needed.  The Original ergo I have fits my JD receiver fine, I guess the spacer would eliminate the slight give in the extended backstrap portion but its not too noticeable with the girp on there now.  

I wonder if the one I picked up is the same thing as this one? http://www.midwayusa.com/product/638284/dpms-spr-pistol-grip-ar-15-lr-308-polymer-black.

My LR 308 is more of a precision rifle than a battle rifle with it's heavy PRS stock and 24" heavy barrel, and will probably mostly be shot from the bench.  I think the grip is kinda ugly, but interesting in design.

I also picked up some spare firing pins, some cold blue, and some reloading stuff, and even the strange looking magpul stock for my 870, just because :)

I got my Sierra Precision grip in and boy is it plain and ugly.  The fit looks terrible and awkward.  But damn does it fit my hand perfectly!  Puts the end of my pointer finger pad perfectly on the trigger every time I grab it.  It's made from hard cast, lightly textured plastic.  No storage in the bottom either.  It is very functional though very ugly.

I don't know what to do now.  It is ugly, but after holding it all my other Ar grips feel like tiny and way too small.  
I mean I still like my BCM with the modified grip angle for  my more tactical AR, but for the 308 beast or even my longer range 223 my other grips just are not at the same level.  

I think I like my old original style ergo the least, the hogue is ok but still on the small side.  The BCM is grippy, but too narrow, and this new one is ugly as sin but I can't help but like it.  It isn't perfect, if it had storage and a taller back-strap it would be a little better, although it kind of positions your hand away from that area anyways.

I might send it back though since apparently brownells sent me a used grip.  There is a chip in the corner, probably from someone who tried to install with an ambidextrous safety.

9027877950_812f5ae52a_c.jpg

9025653441_00a4729c7e_c.jpg

9027959938_1b55f9750e_c.jpg
Untitled by Glamisduner, on Flickr

Yes the fit looks terrible and the grip itself looks bulky.  IMO it is super UGLY.  It's not flush with the receiver, and the ergonomics don't match the receiver but i'll be damned if they don't fit the hand. It is very comfortable and positions your trigger finger and thumb perfectly every time!