• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Need a NO B.S. assessment!!

gunhand

Hi all, I've got the chance to buy a Rock River Elite Operator, it is purported to have only had only 200 rounds fired. It comes with the case, and nine Thermold magazines. I can get it for $1,100.00.

My question is, I have seen many reports of the FAL magazines not working well in the rifles. I happen to have a ton of metric FAL mags, and the R.R. interests me. But I obviously don't want to spend the money if I am going to have problems.

So I'm looking for some no B.S. information before I do the deal.

Thanks All!!

I have both the Operator and Elite Operator.

With the caveat that "every rifle is a enigma unto itself", my EO is the go-to gun and functions flawlessy with the RRA polymer mags (which appear to be identical to the Thermold) and steel FAL mags...inch or metric.  The Operator is a bit more finicky, sometimes choosing to lock the bolt back with one round left in the magazine on the steel magazines.  Haven't run the polymer much in it.

At $1,100 BUY IT!!  The mag fixes are simple.  If you have issues, come back and let us know what they are and we'll walk you through it.

I've never had an issue with magazines, unless the magazine itself looks like it came straight from the front line of some forgotten war.  Those still work fine in the FAL, but won't in the LAR-8.  The newer metric magazines work just fine in the LAR-8.