• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New member, new build

will92104

I have built some AR15s but this is my first 308AR. I have a JD Machine upper and lower. I need to find a free float hand guard. I don't want a round one, i like the 4 rail systems. The problem is, I don't know who makes the right height rail system. I have read and looked for hours but i've done so much of that i'm confused. If there is a link, please send me to it or tell me some companies that make the rail system for the height of my upper. Thanks, Bill

Thanks for the "welcome aboard" and the input. I appreciate it if there is anybody that has any other input. I'm not to crazy about a 13 inch rail system. Then again i could buy it and have it cut down. I guess i'm a picky person when it comes to things like this. I don't want to be seen out in public with a thrown together bag of $hit for a rifle. I sure wish yankee hill made some that would fit, or samson.

Well.....you can't go wrong with a Daniels rail. They're kinda pricey.....but high quality and rock solid. When the mag is empty, you can club your opponent with them. They're solid as all get out. And you almost can't be surprised that JD would try hawking their own stuff to you.

But....you always have options my man. Just keep looking, and find the design (look) that you're thinking of.

I'm not to crazy about a 13 inch rail system. Then again i could buy it and have it cut down. I guess i'm a picky person when it comes to things like this. I don't want to be seen out in public with a thrown together bag of $hit for a rifle. 

What's your barrel length?

What's your barrel length?

I have an 18 inch barrel. It has came down to a Rainier arms free float made by Samson..https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2341

I really like the RRA advanced half quad but nobody knows if it will fit a JD upper. Not even RRA customer service knows.

Edited by will92104

18" barrel and the Troy 13.8" rail look fine together.  Trust me, it's not too much rail.

MRF-308 rail (13.8") and a Fulton 18.5" barrel.  Works great...

308CurrentMods4.jpg

Now that i see it with an 18 inch barrel, it doesn't look to bad. it's only about 3 in more that the rainier arms. plus it would save me some $$$ but i would have to buy a barrel nut. I'm teetering, which way i fall is anybodies guess.

• 2 weeks later...

I could use some help from those experienced out there. I also have a .308 DPMS from JD Machine tech,  mine has the fwd assist , I am having trouble finding a bolt carrier group with the fwd  assist. Does anyone know where I can get one. If I am not on here  I can also be reached at john.krumsiek1@gmail.com or john.w.krumsiek.mil@mail.mil

the bolt carrier group is the same. If what you're talking about are the serrations up the side like on the AR15, there aren't any 308 BCGs made that way.

Actually, that isn't quite correct. Young Mfg and SI Defense have both manufactured DPMS-type bolt carriers with serrations. SI has temporarily discontinued production on theirs, but you can still get one from Young Mfg.