• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

A little good news for a change

BLKSHEEP

I've lived in New Mexico for 35 years and it's been an open carry state all the time I've been here. Very few people take advantage of it though. I don't know if they are aware that it's legal or it's that most just don't want to open carry. I'm glad Mississipi has gotten on board! <thumbsup>

Same here in Colorado. I did open carry briefly for a reason and tried to make it as un-noticable as possible. Ya... creates more problems than it solves. It's very very rare to see anyone open carry here. Not saying someone should not have the right, just that it isn't that great in practice.

There was a guy a while back that would open carry into City Council meetings. Never did anything wrong, just did it because he could... until they passed an ordinance that you can't carry at all in city buildings. It made some nervous... which I thought was the point. :))

^^^ Wow, it's so common here to see plain clothes LEO's open carrying that I just assumed it was the same everywhere.They will often have their badge attached to their belt but not always. Louisiana has been an open carry state for as far back as I can remember (I'm 46) but you never see anyone doing it in urban areas.  

In 1986, here in Florida, when the Volker McClure act passed it was legal to open carry.

The first thing I did was strap on a Colt Government and go out to eat.

The looks of terror I got were un-nerving.

Two weeks later the legislature recended the open carry portion of the bill so only the concealed part remained in force.

I didn't like open carry, I think concealed carry is far more relaxed, although I do open carry at work. But I'm a pawn broker, you'd expect that.

I generally conceal badly. I wear my full size 9mm in a serpa and let my shirt hang over it. 80% of people never notice it. Gunnies/Leo usually see it and it tends to result in a quick eye contact and nod. if libs see it it tends to result in a sour face and a jolt of pleasure for me. When a scumbag sees it his eyes usually go right to the ground.

the concept for me is, that concealed carry does 0 as a deterrent. But if a douchebag walks into somewhere that people are open carrying, its an immediate deterrent. I'm not looking to get to shoot someone who is a bad guy, i'm looking to avoid myself and others around me being a victim of a bad guy and open carry does more for that even if it scares the sissies.

the concept for me is, that concealed carry does 0 as a deterrent. But if a douchebag walks into somewhere that people are open carrying, its an immediate deterrent. I'm not looking to get to shoot someone who is a bad guy, i'm looking to avoid myself and others around me being a victim of a bad guy and open carry does more for that even if it scares the sissies.

That is one legitimate possibility. And another legitimate possibility is you just painted a big target on your self and you will be the first shot.... and you will never have a chance.

Now sure... if EVERYONE open carried, and most citizens were openly armed, well that would be a different situation... but that is not the case anywhere in the country.

We can but I don't.Element of surprise.Got 2 Serpas one for XDM the other for Scorpion.Like the retention feature alot.And while I did take the time to read the cons on that holster,debrie rendering retention inop.I have had 0 problems.I would like it to ride a little closer to the body.Might try a heat gun to bend belt attachment a little.

Missouri has open carry but the cities can disallow it with there own laws. Currently Lee' Summit  doesn't  have any laws against open carry and I've only seen a couple of people doing it in the 10 years that I have lived in this city. One of the reasons I don't, never know when your going to cross into a city that doesn't allow it. Our fearless leader Jay Nixon (D) vetoed a law that would of allowed open carry through the whole state as long as you have your conceal carry permit. The republicans from my understanding are going to over ride his veto and have the votes to do it, this is also the same bill that would nullify any and future federal gun laws. Would love to see this pass needles to say the Governor will not have return trip to the office or any body with a (D) after there name.