• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Have we reached the point of ridiculous

Magwa

Tried watching a hunting show on TV and just about got sick, first they have 40,000 bucks worth of gear and then they bait the deer or turkey or whatever or it is a canned hunt on a game farm. It seems to me it is all about money and the BIGGEST RACK! that in it's self is disgusting what has been a tradition in this country of hunting for food has now turned into exploitation of wildlife and in this country when something is deemed worth alot of money it is surley doomed!

Have we as a society become that which we hate? everything is about money we are obsessed..... now what does this have to do with 308 well it seems AR15's and other modular type weapons are heading or already there to the same place and we are falling for it. Do we really need the latest best freefloat rail? do we really need 10 rifles or the latest scope ,or whatever the newest gizmo is?I say NO I say we are exactly what PT Barnum said we were suckers we fall for anything if it is packaged right, what is the saying"Stand for som ething or you will fall for anything" well i have been in the same boat as the rest of the world and now i think I will return to a more minimalistic approach. don't get me wrong I like stuff that works but after I have tested and tested and it works I am going to leave my stuff alone and put my money somewhere else instead of just spending it on the next best gizmo..... I am going to buy ammo...... :)

The survivalist era is here and people are buying into it lock stock and barrel what used to be common sense is now being sold to us as a must have..... really? do you buy bottled water? I don't I refuse to pay for someone elses tap water!

Ok I will quit  but in ending my rant... let me say teach your children the right way to hunt, fish, camp(you know with a tent not in a camp ground that you pay for) try to have them spend less time on the internet and more time learning why this is such a great country and all it has to offer us out doors..... Peace

This what I've tried to teach my son you don't need the latest wiz bang item and when we go hunting its about meat not the rack. We drop the first decent size deer that comes along, most seasons we go home with does only and thats ok because we have food on the table.

I kinda look at all those hunting shows as infomercials anyways can't remember the last time I saw a show that would teach you how to track and look for signs of the type of game your hunting.

I always give my son a choice on what gun he wants to use the DPMS .308 or the Winchester 94ae .30-30 and he always takes the .30-30 <thumbsup>  

I totally hear what you  are saying about the hunting, it is beyond ridiculous and getting worse.  I am fortunate in that I have access to a good place where the owner doesn't want strangers hunting his ground for any price.  If I have to start paying in order to hunt count me out.  I'll shoot does (which I do most of the time anyway).  That's one thing nice about hunting coyotes and p-dogs, pretty easy to get permission.

As for too much gear, that's for sure we are super-spoiled.  Some of it is sure nice and handy though!

I got burned out on the hunting shows long ago, not so much due to the crappy gear they pimp out all the time but due to their crappy hunting ethics.

Shoot a trophy buck (no meat concerns, as you said Magwa) and hit it in the ass, pats on the back all around for "great shot!" while they spend hours tracking it.  Coming back the next day to find it isn't uncommon on those shows…if that's the deer they actually shot the day before.

Seems to be the way of the world.Kill to kiil.Thrill killers with no moral compass.Bow hunter at work talks about a poorly place shot ,can't find the deer.Doesn't give a fuk that he has wounded the animal and caused it to suffer.The shows suck,and those that "thrill kill cause they can" suck also.

Watched a hunting show years ago with my dad....

Hunters find a MONSTER elk on a cliff, they MISS the elk, he tries to run, slips and falls to his death...

It was one of the saddest things I have seen, horrible... but I always remember it when I take an animal.  I would have NEVER taken that shot...EVER. Neither myself or my father have watched a big name hunting show again.

Well I am glad to see so many of us on the same page, maybe we can get the moderator to start us a skills section that we can all add things too like fire making, tracking skills, etcetc ... I have a ton of stuff i can help with I have been a Flintknapper for over 20 years and yes ,I have shot some big racks but they were just the ones that I saw first I am a meat hunter too.....

Well I am glad to see so many of us on the same page, maybe we can get the moderator to start us a skills section that we can all add things too like fire making, tracking skills, etcetc ... I have a ton of stuff i can help with I have been a Flintknapper for over 20 years and yes ,I have shot some big racks but they were just the ones that I saw first I am a meat hunter too.....

I second this, would be awesome. I learned most of my trade from my uncle living on the res. (Choctaw), and would love to hear(read?) other peoples skill sets and pointers.

Hunting shows are nothing to watch for me getting out and doing it my self for my self is where it's at!! I would love to deer hunt but I'm afraid it would get wasted because I would be the only one eating it. My girls are store bought only sad but true.

I would love a how to page also!! Maybe a branch off the hunting/skills topic!! :) good call Magwa

Hunting shows are nothing to watch for me getting out and doing it my self for my self is where it's at!! I would love to deer hunt but I'm afraid it would get wasted because I would be the only one eating it. My girls are store bought only sad but true.

I would love a how to page also!! Maybe a branch off the hunting/skills topic!! :) good call Magwa

After getting your deer processed vacuum pack the meat then put it in the freezer it will keep along time. Plus you'll be surprised how fast it goes, one deer last me about 6 months with just me and my son eating on it, wife and daughter won't touch it.   

I've never been a fan of "conventional" hunting shows or fishing for that matter. Yup you shot another buck/caught another bass good job....... Like stated above most are hunting in a fence or over a feeder, lame. Since I have got the outdoor channels back I've watched predator hunting numerous times, coyote hunting really interests me, something bout that dog running in over a mile then watching him get balled up interests me. Not huge on the fox/bob cat aspect I donno just not my thing. And also like stated above it's like flipping nascar, I couldn't have done this with out me number 5 hoyte, bone collector, scent lock Chevy pick up

Ps we vac seal all our venison, I date it when packaging it. There have been times were a package gets lost in the freezer and maybe a year or two old, it looks alil funny from being sealed so long but taste wise it's just fine. Think the cost is well worth preserving your meat.

I would love to deer hunt but I'm afraid it would get wasted because I would be the only one eating it.

My first wife wouldn't even cook the stuff for me, she couldn't even stand the smell! I would have my deer cut up all boneless steaks and the rest made into sausage. On graveyard shift I would go home and make myself a couple of deer sausage sandwiches every night. Loved those things, and I didn't mind not sharing with anyone else a bit! More for me! <thumbsup>

My first wife wouldn't even cook the stuff for me, she couldn't even stand the smell! I would have my deer cut up all boneless steaks and the rest made into sausage. On graveyard shift I would go home and make myself a couple of deer sausage sandwiches every night. Loved those things, and I didn't mind not sharing with anyone else a bit! More for me! <thumbsup>

My gf wouldn't eat it when we first started dating I started sneaking it into things first ground meat then steaks. Now we just call it freezer meat. When people tell me they don't like venison I tell them one of two things happened, your butcher sucked or you cooked it wrong. I once make steak tender loins wrapped in bacon for a Christmas appetizer one year for a girl's family I dated, her aunt had like four said wow these are really good what are they. I told her she said I don't like venison?!? I said guess what you do now lol. Her husband was like she hasn't eatten venison in the 30 years we been married

I hear ya.  I often wonder how well the pretty people would do if we plopped them down in an area outside the wire?  One of the few hunting shows I feel is okay is Eastman's.  The motto is "fair chase."  As for the rest.......I've given up on watching most of them, though I do like to watch the Elk hunts.  Those are generally happening in open areas.

Sausage Make it with pork shoulder that has a lot of fat then don't add any fat to it just use like 25 % pork shoulder to 75% ground venison..... I always get a kick out of people who say they do not like venison. Most if not all of them probably had it cooked wrong or the animal was not butchered properly and hung for 4 to 9 days... Venison you have to cook it only to medium at most it is lean meat and when over done is tough.. remember has to be pink in the middle a little redder is better.

We vacuum seal all our fish and meat we make all our own hamburger and breakfast sausage, everything is boned out then cut... lol my kids grew up teething on bear jerky people asked all the time what are they chewing on and it was always a chunk of bear jerky... I remember the first time my kids had beef the oldest was probably 5 or 6 we had just finished building our house and we decided to celebrate so we bought two big T bones and I cooked them over a alder fire we cut them up and put some on each girls plate the oldest took a bite and got the weirdest look on her face and spit it out and said ewwwwww what is this....... she had never had fat in her mouth before and it freaked her out lol......

I love to cook my venison steaks over a wood fire and the key to good taste is slow cook those suckers and I mean slow like a half hour to 45 min. so you don't dry it out. I have friends that ask all the time how do you do that because the taste is great and not dry and they seem to never grasp the concept of slow cooking plus turn often.  

Well there are always more ways to skin a cat than one... so whatever cooking method works for you is awesome...

We like to use cast iron and we like to cook them quick the key is heat you have to have it up high..... when the skillet is hot put in the deer or elk steaks and sear them hard and fast on one side then turn in about 2 or 3 min to other side and sear that side do not turn anymore you can puncture  the meat to see how done it is you want medium to medium rare then take off of skillet let set for about 3 min and eat...... they will be juicy, tender, and have major flavor..... we use only peanut oil to fry in as it is the only oil that will take high heat without breaking down....