• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New and looking for some advise on AR .308

USMC-CH46

I'm new to this forum and new to looking for a .308 AR.  I've looked through the website and didn't find anything about this recently so here goes. What I'm looking for is some advise on which brands are good and what are some good and bad qualities of the better rifles to make my own decision on what to buy.  The one thing I'm not asking is what is the best AR .308.  The reason I'm looking for this rifle is I'm very comfortable with an AR style rifle and looking for  something with a little more punch that an AR-15.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  And if there is a post about this already can you point in the direction to find it .

Welcome aboard!! It's best to do your research like hands on at the gun store but you've come to the right place there are plenty of pushers and instigators here... Wait for it.. What is your budget , this will be the first thing to loose after your mind! ;)

I think to be realistic you need to give us a budget. I can tout all the laurels of my LaRue, but if you can't swing that kind of money, than I am wasting my time. (Not meant to insult)

But... On the other hand, I could be telling you what you could do to improve a rifle you might be interested in, or giving you direction to help you start a build.

Better yet, you must also consider in your price point optics and attachments you may be considering.

Welcome to the site , and thanks for your service. I am looking forward to helping you out, just need some direction

Sorry about that. I would say my budget is around $2000. And the one thing I'm going with is a 20" barrel. The one I keep getting drawn back to is the DPMS with the stainless steel 20" barrel. Also I like the quad rails and collapsible stock. I'm not sure about optics. Maybe just some flip ups for now (I have thing about showing off his much better I can shoot than my brother with all his tricked out little gadgets, Marine thing). Also i dont like all these zombie builder guns. Its going to be a hunting rifle for the most part not a flashy show piece I'm going to showy friends when I open my gun safe.

Sorry about that. I would say my budget is around $2000. And the one thing I'm going with is a 20" barrel. The one I keep getting drawn back to is the DPMS with the stainless steel 20" barrel. Also I like the quad rails and collapsible stock. I'm not sure about optics. Maybe just some flip ups for now (I have thing about showing off his much better I can shoot than my brother with all his tricked out little gadgets, Marine thing). Also i dont like all these zombie builder guns. Its going to be a hunting rifle for the most part not a flashy show piece I'm going to showy friends when I open my gun safe.

For $2k you're close to a decent budget. Barrel length doesn't factor in much, and you'll start yet another long drawn out discussion about accuracy, barrel harmonics etc etc etc. Since you're hunting with the rifle, check out the shorter barrel versions too. 

For the price range in complete rifles, you're looking at a DPMS LR308, CMMG MK3, S&W M&P10 etc for about $1500 new. On the higher end of your budget you're looking at the Sig 716, Armalite AR10A. Remember, get what you like, not what your brother likes. :)

Get a good scope. It'll probably set you back about $500-1000 so remember to factor that in. The magnification range is pretty much dependent on the engagement ranges during your average hunting trip. I don't do much hunting (except paper targets) so listen to the others here. :D

Edited by shibiwan

Well Thanks guys.  I have thought about building one but never built a rifle so I don't know what goes into that.  And also the two things I'm worried about with that is.  1 Where do I start?  Upper, lower, guts, or barrel? and 2 and more worried about messing this one up is what goes with what and how do I go about figuring it out?  Also I was wondering if I build should go and buy complete assemblies, or bare and fill them.  Also with building are there any special tools I would need?  And I'm definitely not scared to try and build one myself I actually think it would be fun.

You guys use that excuse every time I wish it wasn't true but there are options for this. Best part to a RRA is not much has to be upgraded from stock (IMO) that being said I might be in the hunt for dpms my self then put all kinds of different stuff on it??

You guys use that excuse every time I wish it wasn't true but there are options for this. Best part to a RRA is not much has to be upgraded from stock (IMO) that being said I might be in the hunt for dpms my self then put all kinds of different stuff on it??

That said, what about a Sig 716? It comes with almost everything "upgraded"....then again it's a piston upper....

Edited by shibiwan

Welcome...

Get a DPMS rifle then upgrade the parts that you don't like( trigger,buttstock, charging handle,quad rail ).

These upgrade don't have to happen right away. You have a working gun that only needs a scope.

This is what I'm doing. Great rifle, and I've got some stuff changed and more to go. I keep getting sidetracked building AR-15s though!

Here's my list in no certain order for under 2K...

• ArmaLite AR-10                        (Where's the Pusher?)
  • Sig Sauer 716 (Piston driven)
  • Smith & Wesson M&P 10
  • Ruger SR-762 (Piston driven)
  • DPMS
  • Rock River
  • Remington SR-25
  • Fulton Armory FAR-308
  • CMMG

Availability may play a huge role in which one you choose, some of the wait times are horrific!

If you're going to be hunting with it mostly consider the weight, they can verify from 7.75lbs. to 12.0lbs.

Most of these would need a trigger upgrade, The Rock Rivers & ArmaLites come with decent triggers I hear.

I've read far too many bad things about the CMMG's, I'd stay clear of them.

As far as the 20" barrel goes, I have one and would trade it in a second for an 18"

Some come with ambi features & some don't.

Thanks for your service! & good luck with your purchase <thumbsup> 

Hey guys I had 5 min to stop at a gun store today and got to hold a Ruger. I thought it was great not bulky at all like some of the .308s I've held and barley a difference from an ar15 wieght. I was wondering what you guys think in reliability and interchangeability if I want to upgrade.

The parts of concern will be the piston system plus the custom piston bolt carrier. Other than that, it is a simple chassis, but since it's new, I don't think you'll get a lot of feedback about reliability. Perhaps you can volunteer to be the labrat!