Werwovles of Idaho

unforgiven

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's stories like this. This is why guys should always be allowed to have 20 round mags in their rifles (30 for AR-15's)...even while hunting. Just for personal protection.

Granted, it sounds like this guy had a bow and a 22 pistol with him. And call me crazy. Why the Fcuk would you be in the woods with a 22? Even for you guys that can "shoot the eye out of a bird". In this kind of situation, being by yourself (true or not).....I wanna blow these fuckers up with a single shot and be able to move on to the next one. Even in brother Mike's area (and Magwa has shown us pics of some big ass wolves), a 7.62 round is gonna bring down a wolf. The math comes down to this in this story........Wolves 6.....Human 1. Screw the DNR....this is why we have thumbs.

We didn't climb to the top of the food chain, over thousands and thousands of years.....just to be brought down by a four legger. That's what Darwin stories (and awards) are for.

It's one thing to hunt. It's another to be hunted. We're supposed to be smarter..................................

Edited by Rsquared

This kinda thing is routine here my wifes boss was stalked by a cougar whaile elk hunting she put a cap in it's ass and now it will become a rug...lol you can carry a pistol while bow hunting which is what this guy was doing but you can not have a rifle for obvious reasons.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wolves have a bond within the pack unlike anything humans have. While I have only heard of one wolf attack that happened in Minnesota last year, it doesn't surprise me that they hung around. They had just lost an important member of their pack. Up in this area, if bear dogs get too close to a den with pups, the pack usually ends up killing the dog or dogs. Usually happens during spring season or summer during training.

I have only only seen them singly or in pairs around here, and not close up on foot for the last 35 years.

Interestingly just now I went out to feed my wood boiler about 8pm our time and I startled a coyote. Being that close in to our house in this harsh of winter makes me concerned about our dogs, whom aren't that big. I will be packing a 357 or 22 WM when I let them out the rest of this winter, and I won't be able to let them out by themselves. He didn't move off more than 150 feet. I could still see his eye reflections in my headlamp light.

• 2 weeks later...

The Nez Perce also hold the wolf sacred and I have no problem with the wolf having a place in nature but he can not be allowed to run amuck! and this is the problem in the west to many wolve have destroyed idaho's elk herds which took almost 50 years to create..... somewhere there is a balance point we just have not found it yet, remember man is the biggest predator now and that has to be factored in...

The Nez Perce also hold the wolf sacred and I have no problem with the wolf having a place in nature but he can not be allowed to run amuck! and this is the problem in the west to many wolve have destroyed idaho's elk herds which took almost 50 years to create..... somewhere there is a balance point we just have not found it yet, remember man is the biggest predator now and that has to be factored in...

Well said!

Edited by shepp

been almost 20 years now that they have been here and they are not the native timber wolves that Idaho had.. they are the grey wolves from canada and a example of how destructive they are the clearwater elk herd was almost 23,000 now they are 2300 almost wiped out ...

• 2 weeks later...

She needs that damn .460 S&W Magnum that blue brought out to the range!  :eek:

She wouldn't even have to hit anything - the damn concussion would knock that wolf out!

I firmly believe that, with the proper load, that .460 would make a wolf look like a splat-yote (splat-YO-tee) along I-10.

yep camping and hiking with our dogs (heelers) used to be fun in the back country now no way the dogs will get eaten, hound hunters here have the same problem I have a fishing buddy who lost his whole pack 5 dogs to a wolf pack....

In Wisconsin that usually happens when the hounds get too close to a den with pups. Has happened a fair amount over the last few years. To be honest I am not a big fan of Bear dogs. They have killed a number of domestic pets themselves in our area. Plus they spook all the wildlife in an area when they are being trained. Part of the problem is even in Northern Wisconsin, we don't have the wilderness you have out west in terms of shear size. So conflicts are going to happen.

Yeah I can see that happening here you can only run hounds in the spring and fall and at both time nothing else is open and we have so much wilderness that dogs become lost a lot and that seems to be when they get eaten the most when they stay out over night.

Yeah I can see that happening here you can only run hounds in the spring and fall and at both time nothing else is open and we have so much wilderness that dogs become lost a lot and that seems to be when they get eaten the most when they stay out over night.

I am guessing that mountain lions get their share of them as well. Funny thing around here they did an assessment of what caused deer mortality, and wolves came in number three. First was coyotes preying on fawns, second was bears preying on fawns, third was wolves preying on both fawns and adults. Bobcats number four, foxes on fawns number five. Number one over all killer however was still cars.

I do not know of a case of a mountain lion getting a hound other than at a tree where they got into a fight  cats run from dogs.... mountain lions are very easy to tree .... but wolves are another canie and it is about territory when a hound is found in a wolf packs territory they go to drive them out and or kill them.... no different than when  your dog pees on top of where another dog pees just marking his territory..... and in Idaho no way cars kill more deer than preadators I have driven here for over 30 years and I had one close encounter at hitting a deer wolves and mountain lions kill them every week or every 3 days all year long sound like more F&G B.S....... they probably read that in a college book....

I thought so as well, untill I drove 70 miles between Ashland and Duluth a few years ago and counted 38 deer carcasses on the side of the road. Keep in mind that Wisconsin is not Idaho. At that time the deer population in Wisconsin was in excess of one million, which is an incredible population density for a wild animal. So the study was probably true for Wisconsin, but it wouldn't be for out west. And if it sounded like I thought it was then I worded it poorly. I just found their results interesting. Plus road traffic in Wisconsin is quite a bit more than in Idaho and Montana.

Found this article on line. Definitely supports that wolves are the problem in Idaho. By the way, good luck with your wolf hunt.

http://www.examiner.com/article/dealing-with-declining-elk-herds-idaho

Edited by Sisco