• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Magwa speaks!!

sketch

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are we on snare or fire? Lets talk shelter in the bush say we go for a hunt and go deep on the trees not gonna make it back to the ride what do you look for in bad weather and no tent? A tree an over hang or an easy way to make your own with what you got? Rain falls down a lot here but also heat might be an issue?

In my past the burnt out stump saved my ass from the cold and provided a good backer from the wind for the fire.

Here if you are caught out hunting or whatever evergreen trees are your best friend spruce, White fir and douglas fir , they all have limbs that come almost to the ground and very thick so under them is very dry even in rain and snow, and so you also have dry kindling under them to start a fire. I also have sat out storms in the bottom of a big old cedar tree that was hollow but they are few and far between..... a rock ledge would also be good if it was handy. I always look for something I don't have to build as I am always deciding on staying in after dark to late and it is already dark.... lol

Mag bars work every time but you should build a fire or two with them so you know what to expect and remember on any fire your effort is only as good as your tinder preperation have enough tinder and enough small wood to get your fire going I always carry small votif candles you know the small round flat ones women like.... once i get a flame i light the candle just for insurance..

Here if you are caught out hunting or whatever evergreen trees are your best friend spruce, White fir and douglas fir , they all have limbs that come almost to the ground and very thick so under them is very dry even in rain and snow, and so you also have dry kindling under them to start a fire. I also have sat out storms in the bottom of a big old cedar tree that was hollow but they are few and far between..... a rock ledge would also be good if it was handy. I always look for something I don't have to build as I am always deciding on staying in after dark to late and it is already dark.... lol

Great point that could save a lot of lives. When covered with snow those little shelters at the base of evergreens also retain heat very well. Ask any one who has ever used FLIR in that environment. Very tough to spot a heat signature if someone is holed up underneath one. Also if a long term survival situation, can ward off scurvy by boiling some of those spruce boughs in water and drinking the tea. The remains of the leader of the MacKenzie expedition, most of who died of scurvy, was found with his back against a black spruce. If he had known, salvation was right there.

• 1 year later...

I'm trying to pack lite for a 4 day trip!? I know the basic gear for the area but what should I do for lite travel? Weather is iffy ? Never enough ammo... Can a day pack turn into 4? I recently purchased a hammock :) I've been online studding knots but there's so much to consider? I guess my general ? Is what is the bare essential pack and knot knowledge? Thanks

Ps. Fishing knots who whouda thought there were so many?

Edited by sketch

Knots - learn the Bowline.  Non-slip knot in any direction.  Perfect for an anchor knot.  So many uses, it's not even funny.

Prusik knot.  Sliding knot, but when tension is on it, it doesn't go anywhere.  Perfect for tensioning a section, and if it gets loose, slide it to re-tension.  Locks in place due to tension.

Overhand knot.  Many uses, and you already know this one.

Half-Hitch knot (and Double Half-Hitch).  Good anchor knot for short duration.  Can loosen over time.

Round Turn - nothing more than an extra wrap of cord around the tying base.  Round Turn with a Half-Hitch is a good security knot, temporarily.

Clove Hitch - used in the Old West to tie the horses to a post.  Quick knot to tie, medium security, non-slip most of the time. 

Know those, and you can damn near tie anything up, anytime, in any manner or fashion you so choose.  <thumbsup>

If you want to get really tricky, and you need a knot that is super-secure, but easy to untie...

Then never, ever use a Figure 8 knot.  That fucker, once tension is put on it, is damn hard to untie.

In any instance where you think a Figure 8 knot is the way to go - slap yourself.

Tie a Wireman's Knot instead.  It's 4 interlocking bights onto itself, non-slip in any direction, and is easy to untie.  Break just one bight free, and the rest of the knot comes undone easily.

Thus endeth the knot sermon... 

Lemme know if you need video demonstrations. 

My bro in law was coastguard. I Had NO idea what the hell the ice pick looking thing in his issue knife was. I was teasing him asking if they sat around knitting socks for each other on the boat. Then he tied some crazy knot and told me to try and loosen it. I couldn't. Lightbulb.

Knots: I was a Boy Scout back in the late 1940s and early 1950s the best thing I got out of scouting was an old 1949 edition of the  Handbook for Boy Scouts I studied it during cold winter nights, It has a section on knots, fire building and tons of outdoor survival information. I haven't seen a good one for a while but probably can find one on eBay or an online antique book store.  I practiced tying knots for my merit badge and still can tie most of them.

I never leave home for the woods without my waterproof boy scout match container, and  back when I smoked I always had a couple books of matches,  and my mini fishing, snare wire kit of a couple of fish hooks 20' feet of monofiliment or Spiderwire. I have used the front lens of my old 8 power binoculars to start a fire in bright sun, works well  with some finely fluffed cedar bark or with the powder from a .22 long rifle cartridge,  but won't work in rain, cloudy weather or at night of course. One thing you gotta have is a good sharp knife.

I love this topic! Mag is a great source for the forum!