• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Handguards

BigP623

Im looking into buying a free float tube for both my AR-10 and AR-15 at the same time.  Is there differences between the two platforms?  If so what are the differences.  I purchased my 10 whole already built and am building my 15 from scratch and other than the frame being smaller are the handguards smaller as well or will an ar15 handguard work on a 10? <dontknow>

Got a e-mail from Bravo Co. on a alum/magnesium keymod handguard for a 5.56, not sure if they have one or a type like that for .308. Suppose to be strong and light.

The KMR is only available for AR-15's currently. A 16" ELW-F KMR upper is on my "to buy" list this year :).

Is that for sure?

Yes.  100%.

You guys need to look at the apex Gator grips they are fabulous......and very very light and made for both platforms

http://www.apexhandguard.com/

I have the round one and replaced a DPMS carbon hand guard in order to try it.  I like the light weight.  It's a full ounce lighter than the DPMS/Clark unit.  I like having the cooling vents and the mounting holes.  I don't care for the slight reduction in rigidity compared to the DPMS/Clark.  Either it's the thinner layup or the way the three screws secure it, but pressure applied to the top of the Apex hand guard can cause the inside of the carbon tube to touch the gas block.  With a DPMS/Clark tube it's simply not possible to do this.

Now, does this matter?  Not sure that it makes a difference.

I don't care for the slight reduction in rigidity compared to the DPMS/Clark. Either it's the thinner layup or the way the three screws secure it, but pressure applied to the top of the Apex hand guard can cause the inside of the carbon tube to touch the gas block. With a DPMS/Clark tube it's simply not possible to do this.

Ben, what the heck are you talking about? What three screws? What carbon tube? I've had an APEX on my .308 for 2+ years and I can't get this S.O.B. to budge at all. It's as solid as a rock. Did they charge the way they are built/installed since I bought mine??

Yeah same here there are 4 screws and you can not budge the thing I carry mine elk hunting and wolf hunting on a snowmobile and on a ATV and it is as solid as a rock and what carbon tube??????? there is only the Apex handgaurd no other parts other than the mountingbracket..... show us some pics please i am curiuos...

Robo and Mag, glad you chimed in. I've got the 15" Apex on mine and it's rock solid.Four screws hold it onto the clamps around the barrel nut. Just another reason to check everything you read on the web, at least twice.

And another good reminder to check everything you type too.  Glad everyone corrected me.  I would hate if someone made a purchase decision based on my fat fingers.

I have to give kudos to the APEX tube. It's a solid product. My only gripe is that the top rail isn't part of the tube. Although, in their defense, that allows them to make one tube with different rail heights to match the various uppers.

I would have liked to better screws for mounting the top rail. I stripped one using a cheap allen key. Mostly my fault, but a larger screw would've been able to handle it.