• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

And yet again , more ammo for the DHS

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What? If you need 238 rounds of 12 ga. for practice and making qual. there's a problem.

Training properly? LOL! Pistols and rifles are a perishable skill-scatter guns have always been qualed with, using BuckShot in my agencies up here-if you NEED 238 rounds to do so around here, you'd be on the range after we all left and then shooting with the next group who need to re-qual! That's not my opinion, that IS a FACT!  

FACT - You definitely need to train with a shotgun.  Just because it patterns, doesn't mean you can just point and shoot and be good with it. 

Here's another FACT for you - military, I would receive 18 rounds of 5.56 for weapons zero.  40 for qual.  30 for night qual.  10 for NBC qual.  98 rounds.  Only had to qual annually in a support unit, every 6 months in a combat arms unit.

Shooting (up to) 98 rounds didn't mean I was TRAINED.  It meant that I got that much to QUALIFY.

For training, it was 2,000 rounds per man, every quarter. 

That IS a FACT.

If you doubt that...  then I must be your Merchant of Doubt.

I think every one is missing the whole point of all these ammo purchases. Its not the fact that the personnel need the amount per year , its how this administration is buying it. I have to do some research , but I don't remember these agencies buying in quantity for five year allotments before . I know the military does ,but not LE. I may be wrong about that , but just never heard of them buying so much ammo at a time .

I know this administration says it to get a good deal on quantity & it is fact that you get quantity pricing , to a point ,that is .I think there reasoning & there purpose is to stifle ammo sales to the general public in any way they can & if you think its just shotgun ammo & doesn't effect the other calibers , you would be wrong.

I am willing to bet they had as much issue with the shortage as we did. This is only a guess, I will admit up front I have no facts to base it on, but in my opinion this is the solution to that problem. Get a contract and have your ammo locked up for the short term. I would also wager that even though it's a five year contract, that this is more like 7-8 years worth providing for a buffer while you work out the next contract. If I had deep pockets this is what I would do to ensure I always had ammo available.

Again, just an opinion.

Edited by DNP

I think there reasoning & there purpose is to stifle ammo sales to the general public in any way they can & if you think its just shotgun ammo & doesn't effect the other calibers , you would be wrong.

I am completely in agreement with you on that, brother.  Completely.

I really do think it's this administration that's buying up the ammo for the sole purpose if limiting the availability to the public.  Convinced without a doubt.

It's as much about "buy bulk and save" as Clive Bundy's ranch is about the desert tortoise.  There's very "hidden agenda" things going on below the surface lies.

Ya & I really don't need written proof , There is nothing in what this administration that has shown me , that they are trying to save us money . They blow it more than any other admin. in the past, by three fold , so any song & dance they puke out about them trying to save money ,is pure BS . 

Its like we have people voted into office, that are like Gangsters. Take what ever they want & if you don't follow along with them , they get you any way they can & some times ,not with in the laws of this land.

I like the idea of blaming the ammo shortage on government purchases. But to make that theory work, you gotta have the ammo manufacturers totally agree to tell the public a different story.

Now, if, say, Hornady were to say, "Government is driving the shortage and we want to supply civilians", Hornady would totally capture the market.

What I'm basically saying is, the government can't threaten the income of an ammo company to move this conspiracy, they also gotta threaten the wives and children and everything else, maybe push a big patriotism angle, to get ammo companies to tell lies about their business and the ammo market.

That's hard.

I'd like to see hoarders in action before I blame hoarders. Frankly, I don't think anyone has the real story yet, and it's probably strange.

I don't think they're out to save a buck, just to make sure they have ammo next time we all go out and clear the shelves.

Did any of the LE here experience any training differences during the last major shortage? Or was it still all you can eat?

Edited by DNP

I don't think they're out to save a buck, just to make sure they have ammo next time we all go out and clear the shelves.

Did any of the LE here experience any training differences during the last major shortage? Or was it still all you can eat?

The shortages were felt and we had longer lead times to fill orders. 

Edited by StainTrain

Of course there are many factors involved in the shortages, hoarding , new firearm buyers by the thousands ( or more ) , but this administration , I believe is doing all it can do to help it along & deprive us of ammo & in my case , components . 

I do believe the ammo companies are not telling the whole truth about there manufacturing practices & contract obligations , why would they . They could lose any or all future Gov. contracts if they did . Its the way this admin. works , speak out & lose out .The ammunition manufacturers are in it to make money , just like any other business , where they get it , is of no consequence to them, for the most part.

Most companies do all they can to get gov. contracts , because of how lucrative they are . Sure they have to appease they other customers ( us ) ,but we may be on the back burner because of a Gov. contracts keeping them busy filling contracts on time .

I have been in this business for almost forty years & I have never seen anything like this & I now believe it will get worse . The only reason this admin. has not made more purchases is because they know they only have a limited time span in office & going for a ten year allotment would really raise some eyebrows & might jeopardize the contracts completely , because of more scrutiny it may incite from congress.

Yes it sounds like it could be a conspiracy , but just look at the ways & means of this Admin. & its just gets more plausible to think that way about it .

The longer I work for the feds the more I'm inclined to think they are not capable of such a conspiracy. :strokin:  Could some individual bureaucrats in separate agencies have the idea of taking ammo off shelves, maybe, but a government wide organized effort? I doubt. :sad3:

I would not underestimate some of these people & it doesn't take the whole government & all its Minions . Just look at O'Butthead care & some think tank ( Weather Underground ) came up with the largest taxation bill in American history & camouflaged it as Healthcare, which it really doesn't do.

"The big bullet manufacturers claim they're making just as much inventory as always."

"They're saying they are, but I don't know if I quite believe them," Serdy said. "Because I talk to distributors all day long and they're just not seeing it."

-- Ammo shortage sparks high prices - AZFamily - April 22, 2014 - http://www.azfamily.com/news/Ammo-shortage-sparks-high-prices-256125051.html

"The big bullet manufacturers claim they're making just as much inventory as always."

"They're saying they are, but I don't know if I quite believe them," Serdy said. "Because I talk to distributors all day long and they're just not seeing it."

-- Ammo shortage sparks high prices - AZFamily - April 22, 2014 - http://www.azfamily.com/news/Ammo-shortage-sparks-high-prices-256125051.html

Oh , they are making inventory , just not for us !

This explains why my 556 supplier suddenly became flush with REALLY cheap cases.

Wouldn't it be cool if you could think about your ammo inventory as expendable, and the same way you did your cruise missile inventory? Holy $hit... Yeah, I'll act surprised...