• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

10 mm pistol

gnatshooter

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RadioGuy, I honestly don't think you'll have a problem controlling a 1911 in 10mm. My son, who's only 5"7" as an adult, was shooting a 1911 in 45 ACP with standard loads (NOT downloaded) in action pistol competition when he was only 10 years old. With proper practice the 1911 is a very controllable handgun and is a good fit for probably 99% of those willing to put in the time to practice with it. Back when I was the firearms instructor for my P.D. at one time I had a good 2/3rds of the officers carrying 1911 pistols and very few problems with any of them being able to handle the gun. At the same time, there was a deputy from the local S.O. that carried a Colt Delta Elite 10mm. He was a scrawny guy, and he loved that gun! Shot the crap out of it too!

Welcome to the Forum, RadioGuy. These are the best, nicest, most helpful and hospitable folks I've ever discovered in a discussion group. You'll wind up with some very good advice, and probably a DPMS Gen II .308 as well. Eventually. Beware the Armaliters, though they mean well. People here do expect feedback. It has something to do with the 'buy everything' approach so recently mentioned by Microgunner. ^-^

I owned a few delta elities in the past and will buy more if possible, I carry one daily as a ccw. The glocks don't do anything for me,yes it holds more rounds but thats why im waiting on a Fusion Arms Grand Sport. 1911 style double stack! Yes you will need to practice with the full power loads but in the long run will be happy with it. If you reload you can taylor the loads for you situation that you may encounter.

Welcome from Indiana brother RadioGuy,not a glock fan either and I have shot them.1911 just fit's right in the hand like a glove.I am a fan of that type of pistol.With a revolver it was just to eliminate the "tap,rack," aspect should thier be a problem.I also thought [mistakenly] that a large chunk of lead [12 ga. slug] would do the trick but I guess not. <dontknow>

Edited by unforgiven

Bear?  STOP a bear? 

I know one ONE answer that will work everytime, and I'm surprised blue109 hasn't mentioned it -  though Rob did.

.460 S&W Mag.

Eff that pistol.  I hated that thing so bad that I had to shoot a full cylinder of the stuff.  The concussion makes you lose your balance and blurs your vision - the whole world shakes when you pull that trigger.  It was so nasty that I stood BESIDE the cylinder while Jon emptied one, just to make sure it was true.  It was... 

Hell, I'm not positive, but I think there's a video out there somewhere about that day, and that pistol...

Edited by 98Z5V

I participated in a forensics class, shooting pig carcasses with different caliber firearms. On one I shot a 12g slug, and another I shot with the .500 mag. The 1 oz slug measures 437.5 grains, .50 cal was 425 grains. The wounds created in flesh were downright explosive.

I participated in a forensics class, shooting pig carcasses with different caliber firearms. On one I shot a 12g slug, and another I shot with the .500 mag. The 1 oz slug measures 437.5 grains, .50 cal was 425 grains. The wounds created in flesh were downright explosive.

Did you have a barbecue afterwards?

Hmmm... so with standard factory rounds, there's no point to a stiffer spring?

Edit: P.S. I've shot +P and +P+ from my 9mm and all I could think of was how it was beating the crap out of my really nice pistol. It really slammed the slide and... well, slammed up my arm and it was d*mned unpleasant. So when I say standard factory rounds, that means, no +P etc. If this was my pistol I was shopping for, etc., I'd go with standard-velocity JHP. Like someone else said here, 9mm is "smooth" to shoot, and that's what I would want to expect.

Maybe that's asking too much. Some guys enjoy recoil, and me, I like something that lets me feel like the pistol is an extension of my hand, and not something that wants to jump away or knock my on my ass.

The whole purpose of upgrading a recoil spring kit is to make the gun run smoother. Not just so you can shoot hotter loads. A normal semi auto hand gun, may function beter wwith a increase of 1 or 2 pounds more spring pressure. Wolf springs ,Glock Perfection , or custom shops of manufactures have parts for your gun . Brownells and Midway USA have all the part listed for upgraded springs.

And example let's say you have a 40S&W XDM and the factory spring is 16 Lbs, you upgrade to a 18 lb spring now you gun cycles smoother and you "feel" less sting in your hand while shooting.

Now. You just improved your gun and will be thinking about a trigger kit !

Bear?  STOP a bear? 

I know one ONE answer that will work everytime, and I'm surprised blue109 hasn't mentioned it -  though Rob did.

.460 S&W Mag.

Eff that pistol.  I hated that thing so bad that I had to shoot a full cylinder of the stuff.  The concussion makes you lose your balance and blurs your vision - the wholeI world shakes when you pull that trigger.  It was so nasty that I stood BESIDE the cylinder while Jon emptied one, just to make sure it was true.  It was... 

Hell, I'm not positive, but I think there's a video out there somewhere about that day, and that pistol...

I had no real need to shoot that gun ! I had experienced firing 1 round in a sililar gun before.

Nobody said anything about a Python in 45LC or a Glock21 in .460Rowland.

I had no real need to shoot that gun ! I had experienced firing 1 round in a sililar gun before.

That thing is a monster.  :eek:

Left to right: .460 S&W Magnum, .454 Casull, .44 Magnum, .45 ACP, .22LR

Cartridge_comparison1.jpg

If you every have a bear situation, I'm pretty positive that the .460 S&W Mag will solve that problem.

Edited by 98Z5V

The whole purpose of upgrading a recoil spring kit is to make the gun run smoother. Not just so you can shoot hotter loads. A normal semi auto hand gun, may function beter wwith a increase of 1 or 2 pounds more spring pressure. And example let's say you have a 40S&W XDM and the factory spring is 16 Lbs, you upgrade to a 18 lb spring now you gun cycles smoother and you "feel" less sting in your hand while shooting.

Now. You just improved your gun and will be thinking about a trigger kit !

OK, I can see how the stiffer spring would take the 'sting' out of heavier rounds.

But, just like putting a Slash heavy buffer in your .308, you just gotta wonder why they don't do this at the factory if it makes the weapon shoot better.