• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Stripped Round Will not go into Battery

warthog984

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You stated the upper has M-4 feed ramps. Is the barrel an M-4? A pic of the feed ramps might help the group decide if it's a feed ramp issue. I may also be a combo of tight chamber and ammo issue. (308 verses 7.67 cases)

m-4 feed ramps....barrel m-4 whatch u talkin bout Willis?

308 vs 7.62....nope not the problem :) Wash

m-4 feed ramps....barrel m-4 whatch u talkin bout Willis?

308 vs 7.62....nope not the problem :) Wash

Good Different Strokes reference.  I think he was asking if the barrel extension and receiver cuts match.  I took a picture an put it on one of the previous posts.  I am getting my DPMS mags today.  We shall see. 

His measurements of the cartridge height from the lower receiver to top base of brass case is close ( real close ) to the same measurement I got on my CMMG lower receiver & Pmags did not work , many FTF with every mag . All steel mags worked flawlessly , so those couple of thousands of an inch , made a difference between working & not working .

Any angle of feed , out of a certain spec. may cause problems . Yes , these rifles are forgiving , but get out of spec's with certain components & problems arise . Feeding a long cartridge into the chamber is one of them , sure you have some play or forgiveness , but don't push it , these are the things that can happen . 

I struggled with this problem or like this problem , for quite some time before I discovered the very small window , what a magazine seating , in the lower receiver , will accommodate, for flawless operation of the rifles feeding system .

If the chamber is within spec's & head spaces correctly & all bolt components are within specs , the only other thing to cause feeding problems , is the magazine. Sure there could be some off the wall out of spec fitment or manufacturing out of spec problems with the upper & lower receivers , but those are far & few any more , not saying we haven't seen them here, just not seen much , if at all .

Yes, install the factory extractor spring & try that out also . Actually , try the rifle out with the PMag & that factory Extractor spring first  just to see if there is a difference .

THANK YOU LORD!!!!!!!!!!!  I got this SOB to work.  I did not get the mags yet, but based on a couple of posts from survialshop and toolndie7 I was steered in the right direction.  Toolndie7 sent me a PM with a picture or a similar issue with an AR15.  What was happening is the ejector is not letting the cartridge head center into the bolt.  It appears that AR15 bevel the edges of the ejector to aid in positioning the cartridge head in the bolt.  Toolndie7 recommended that I remove the ejector and try to chamber a round.  I tried to get the ejector roll pin out yesterday but had no luck.  I knew when I got the bolt that the ejector seemed hard to push, but I was able to close the bolt with a live round and it functioned during my live fire.  I over looked that fact that i must have been slightly binding (burr in the bolt maybe).  I just thought to myself this morning what if I put some Brownells Action Lube around the ejector and hand cycle it with a punch.  I did this for about 5 minutes and the ejector must have wore the ejector roll pin out.  the ejector then fell out of the bolt.  I proceeded to check the bolt with a full mag and it chamber instantly.  I am so damn happy that this post may be all over the place.  Yesterday I called Midway USA and told them to send me a new BCG since the one I got had a stuck ejector roll pin.  I remember looking at the ejector roll pin when I got the BCG think someone at DPMS really beat the poop out of it trying to get it in place.  Now I play the waiting game again for my new BCG.  I want to shoot this gun so bad.

Warthog984, congratulations.. I have been following this thread closely. I built a 308 this past winter and spring and have feeding problems also. I got so feed up so I parked it in the closet and built a savage .260 bolt action. It turned out perfect. Anyway, now I have a lot more information thanks to you and everyone on this site. Even though it was not my rifle, I wish to thank you and everyone else for their contributions. You may be hearing from me in the near future regarding this issue.

I was able to get the old roll pin out last night and change the ejector.  I took the gun out today and it ran great.  Fired suppressed and without.  The SLR Rifleworks adjustable gas block is awesome.  PMAGs and DPMS 19rnds mags worked good.  The ASC mags had issues.  All and all I am a happy camper.

Here is what I used in my build:

Aero Precision Upper and Lower M5 308

Mega Arms Barrel 16”

MI 12” Keymod Handguard

Noveske Keymod Handguard Covers

AAC Brake Out

SLR Rifleworks Sentry 7 Stainless Adjustable Gas Block

BCM Midlenth Gas Tube

DPMS BCG

DPMS Carbine Buffer

DPMS Carbine Buffer Spring

DPMS 308 Bolt Catch

Rainier Raptor Charging Handle

Geissele SSA-E Trigger

Simplistic Shooting Solutions Gas Vent (Replace F/A)

Armalite AR10A Magazine Catch and Spring

Seekins Magazine Button

Magpul UBR Stock

BCM Grip

Magpul MBUS

Aero Precision 308 Pivot Pin---Longer that standard DPMS pin

DPMS 308 Takedown Pin

Armalite Safety Selector

Misc. Lower Parts Springs and Pins ( I believe I used CMMG)

ADM Recon 1” Optics Mount

Nikon Monarch 3-9x40

The Mega barrel performed well.  Looked to be under MOA with Federal Match 168 SMK, but I did not go down to the target and measure.  I was more focused on function at this point.  PMC 147 was not that good.  I also shot AE 150gr.  It did pretty well.  Prvi 168gr looked good too.

post-14991-0-27716900-1407535802_thumb.j

post-14991-0-10453700-1407535826_thumb.j