• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

People from arizona

Cali_Ed

Not sure if this is the appropiate area, but I've been giving it some thought on possibly moving to Arizona. I have family in Phoenix. My aunt told me it's hot 3 months of the years and the rest the weather is nice the rest of the year. What can ypu guys tell me about az? What areas is it not so hot lol

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I lived in Tucson for 1.5 years.  I saw it snow in the valley once.  The nights get cold with the wind during the winter.  I live in Northern Ohio now, so the cold does not bother me much.  The summers are hot as hell.  Take a blow drier, turn it on high, and blow your face.  That is the desert in the summer.  The heat was to much for me in the valley.  I spent most of my free time in the mountains were it was a lot cooler.  You will see snow in the mountains in winter.  There are a bunch of guys who live in Arizona on this site.  Tucson has no grass or large water bodies.  That was a change for me too.

If you like the city rat race and heat move to phx metro. I love Arizona but I absolutely hate living in this area. It's big, it's HOT, dry and dirty. I've moved as far into the outskirts as I can and still be able to work at my job. As soon as I can I am moving up to either prescott, payson, or pine top/lakeside area. Possibly the far outskirts of Flag. On the plus side we have a lot of really nice ranges and shooting facilities in the area along with some of the best training opportunities in the world. There are also a good number of lakes around Phx area and a couple rivers. 

I work in Home security and can definitely say, move to the east side of the valley if you move to the phx metro area. I see a lot less violent crime and less home invasions on this side of town. The west side keeps us very busy. There are some really nice areas on the west side, but they are islands surrounded by ghetto.

I used to live in Flagstaff and have a lot of family still up there. Work up there is kind of hard to come by depending on what you do. Lots of people struggling up there. 

Tucson would be awesome if it wasn't where all the hard left commie state transplants ended up. It's got a little cooler temps and some beautiful wilderness areas nearby. Lots of run down areas though. Every time I'm down there it seems to have gotten worse. The suburbs down there are nice. 

If you are into hunting/camping arizona is a great state. Lots of different types of wilderness to escape into to get away from things. You have to watch it while hunting the border area units. I've was woken up by 30 or so illegals making my camp home one time. Other than that though the hunting is great with lots of challenges.

Where you live in Arizona really depends on what you can do for work. Most of the standard employment is in the Phx and tucson areas. Any other area you really need to have your ducks in a  row.

hippies and brutal summer aside, I love Tucson. this trail head is about 40 min. up the hill from my front door. I'm probably 20 min. away from the base of the catalinas. if I drive 20 min west I hit Tucson mountain park and it's 100+ miles of trails. 20 min east the rincons with tons of 4wheeling and lots of great shooting spots. if I head south for 40 min I can get into some wild territory in the Santa Rita mts. I can hit the san diego beach in 6 hours. flagstaff forests in 5. don't get put off by the "desert" part.

post-12215-0-87552500-1408308725_thumb.j

Edited by blue109

Best selection of jobs in Arizona will definitely be in the Phoenix metro area. 

What do you do or intend to do for work? I may know some one looking for people. 

Anthem is for old people, lol. It's a lot of Snow birds and retired people. I agree though, nice place. Nice houses and friendly people.

On the north end of the valley Cave creek is awesome and Carefree has some really cool areas. There's also Scottsdale if you want the tax rate. 

You can get some great deals on homes in Chandler, Gilbert and Mesa in the east valley, you just have to be careful of the neighborhoods in certain parts of Mesa and Chandler. 

THANKS bunches for the replies. With the places to watch out for what is making them that way if I may ask?

Right now I work retail, but looking into maybe getting into a trade or working for a good retail store down there. I've still have been tossing the idea of doing some sort of law enforcement work or firmen. Not sure yet still looking into it. I'm young and want to pursue some sort of actual carrer

Edited by Cali_Ed

Lived in Tucson from 99-04.  Wasn't so bad back then but now it's gotten overcrowded and the street infrastructure isn't adequate to keep up with demand IMO.  I can't stand driving anywhere in that city anymore. 

I live in an itty bitty little place called Saint David which is 5-10 degrees cooler on any given day than Tucson and 10-15 degrees cooler than PHX.  Plus it's green here.  Big trees and above average water supply.  The San Pedro runs through it so we have a lot of large cottonwoods and stuff. 

Plenty of places to go hunting, riding, shooting, all right outside my back door with easy access.  Cochise County is pretty cool too.  It just seems to me more relaxed than Pima Kounty or the Great State of Maricopa.  I like living rural though...  Do what you want... Nobody laying in wait to question you...  We have a lot of freedoms the bigger metro areas just don't allow for.

Sierra Vista is the largest "city" in the immediate area and you can find work there.  The three biggest employers in the county are... The County, The Electric Company (SSVEC), and Fort Huachuca (tons of Gov't contract work).

Being a close as we are to the border we do have more than our share of Illegals here.  I've seen them when I've been out camping, I've found them hiding in the bushes near my house, I see the trash they leave everywhere when I go out riding....  so there is that.  Patagonia Lake is the closest lake to me and it takes me about an hour to get there.  But we like to hit that place up at least once a month and do some fishing.  It can be hit or miss as far as that goes, but there are largemouth, and some monster catfish to be had out of that lake.

-Adam

Anthem is for old people, lol. It's a lot of Snow birds and retired people. I agree though, nice place. Nice houses and friendly people.

On the north end of the valley Cave creek is awesome and Carefree has some really cool areas. There's also Scottsdale if you want the tax rate. 

You can get some great deals on homes in Chandler, Gilbert and Mesa in the east valley, you just have to be careful of the neighborhoods in certain parts of Mesa and Chandler. 

...there were some rumors about some wife swapping thing going on at Anthem so if you're into that kind of thing..... <lmao>

East Mesa is fine. Downtown Mesa...uh no.