• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Back from the deer hunt

washguy

Brothers  It came down to the last day for Char getting her buck. We sighted in rifles Friday had cocktails and dinner....this is the way to hunt!  The owner Diane and  Phil a family friend was there...had the whole place to ourselves...my my what a nice property.....the ranch owns the hills in front of the lodge....high fenced . we hunted low fence and there was plenty of 4 points and 6 points,but Char was holding out for a big 8....so it came down to the last morning,,,,,It took a lot of convincing to put war paint on her...I used 3 color camo all over her face...what a hoot when she walked in the main lodge before going out   <lmao>

Well it worked...a nice 8 point came in....she put the smackdown on him....he ran for the hills,but dropped after 50yds.....so we waited for 30 mins or so,and my doe came in....boom...all done

What a great hunt....Diane. Phil. and Mark our guide are some of the most wonderful people you would ever want to hang with! The food ...my oh my I gained poundage  ....Char would not let me post up a pic of her cause of all the camo on her face...but here's the buck without her     :) Wash

IMG_1334_zps30943f14.jpg

IMG_1336_zpsb3b13b79.jpg

IMG_1264_zps4cda683a.jpg

sittin on the porch....the hills are the high fence area

The rut was just getting started...bucks were chasing and we had 7 turkeys come to within 20 yds

Edited by washguy

Very nice!! Weight?? Rut just went into full swing up here this weekend is gonna be primo!!! Tell chat I wanna hear her war cry:) and congrads

Thanks Shepp....200 lbs....heavy for a Hill Country deer....they eat like we did...lookin for the next size in jeans now

thanks Sisco!  :)  Wash

Edited by washguy

That's a dandy wash! should make a fine mount. About a 16" inside spread?

Hi Blk   yeppers just at 16"....the pic was after he was gutted/cleaned....still fat  lol   they had protein feeders all over the property....my doe was fat too

they were both shot with 6.8's.....and im not really impressed with that caliber....I guess its always shot placement....Char's hit in the boiler room the other in the shoulder

no exit in the doe that was hit in the shoulder...she ran a lil ....no meat spoiled...using 120grain hornady sst ... next time 308 for sure!    Thanks Seasprite!    :)  Wash

Hi Blk yeppers just at 16"....the pic was after he was gutted/cleaned....still fat lol they had protein feeders all over the property....my doe was fat too

they were both shot with 6.8's.....and im not really impressed with that caliber....I guess its always shot placement....Char's hit in the boiler room the other in the shoulder

no exit in the doe that was hit in the shoulder...she ran a lil ....no meat spoiled...using 120grain hornady sst ... next time 308 for sure! Thanks Seasprite! :) Wash

It'll be a debate till the end of time, myself like a good thru and thru. Not that I've shot a ton of deer but between 30-06 and .308 all my deer have tipped over in 30-40 yards. I've also seen deer with there vitals in the trees and blood all over go 1/8-1/4 mile with a 30-06 shot. It's all personal preference I guess. I also know a few guys that think they need to use a 7mm or 300 win mag at >150 yards and blow the ever loving poop outta their deer.

Let's see your Doe wash don't be ashamed lol

Let's see your Doe wash don't be ashamed lol 

No way  not after Chars buck......hahaha  .....you should have seen the big white and choclate fallow that she tried to shoot.....note to self...next time bring the scope sunshades,and  more cash...lol.....   :)  Wash

Oh...okay here's mine       <lmao>

IMG_1343_zps6a7a2618.jpg

IMG_1340_zpseacbb690.jpg

Edited by washguy

Wash,

Great job by you and your wife.  As for your video, everyone should know that "Everything is BIGGER in Texas"  

Thanks NTX   Yep...."Everything is BIGGER in Texas"   im real proud of Char...she's a natural born hunter...she's the one who wanted to go huntin...she didnt curl her hair or wear makeup the whole time,,,,,cept for the goofy camo I made her wear....that was as funny as it gets....the guide and Phil blew coffee out their nose when she walked in

the lodge at 5;30 am wearing that clown face I put on her   :)  Wash

98Z  Char said if I posted that face of hers ...she would divorce me....pretty strong language...cause we aint even married yet

<lmao>  Mag...thanks....we had some cheese venision summer sausage at the ranch...thats what is gonna happen to the doe...the buck...ground burger,backstraps....and more cheese sausage....that stuff was gooood!    :) Wash