• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Polar Bear Dip

Matt.Cross

I did the polar bear dip last night, TWICE! So here's the story, I'm with the in-laws near Ann Arbor MI, and my brother-in-law challenges me to a PBD. Maybe he thought I wouldn't take the challenge, I don't know, but my answer was "Oh yeah, I'll do it!". 15 minutes later we are in the sauna and the temperature gauge reads 170°F (but it's a dry heat for the moment). Another 10 minutes in the heat and I'm sweating like Jon in church, and then the bro-in-law starts pouring water on the coals. Holy cow batman! This whole time my core temperature had been steadily rising, but now my external temperature was rocketing through the stratosphere! I held on for another 10 minutes of random throws of water onto the coals, and I had to bail out.

The bailout procedure is as follows: stagger out of the sauna, head outdoors where the temperature is in the high 20s, run down the pier at the pond, and jump into water that just last night had a nice layer of ice floating on top. WHOOOEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yowsers! That water was FRIGID, I'm talking colder than the ice on Tom's balls when Rsquared is late getting his beer kinda cold. I climb back outta the pond and sit on the dock for 2-3 minutes to let my core temperature and skin temperature settle their differences. Then, back to the sauna for round two of the same punishment. BIL chickens out after round one and round two is conducted all by myself.

So, am I the only maniac here who does/has done this? Post up your maniacal exploits!

I did something like that back in April, 2010 in Virginia Beach. We had my son there for the high school wrestling Nationals and it rained all week and was cold as hell. We were staying at a hotel on the beach and the last morning we were there Josh says "Lets jump in the ocean before we leave!" Sonofabitch that was cold water!

You guys are crazy.  I hate...I mean hate cold water.  I have many bad experiences to share.  

I was with a group who were going to do one of these challenges and I chickened out.  My personal policy is:  Unless I am getting paid, I prefer warm to hot water. 

Edited by StainTrain

You guys are crazy. I hate...I mean hate cold water. I have many bad experiences to share.

I was with a group who were going to do one of these challenges and I chickened out. My personal policy is: Unless I am getting paid, I prefer warm to hot water.

The PBD would be wholly undesirable without the sauna component, rest assured... when it's time for the icy water, you want it more than anything in the world.

Fell through the ice checking traps when I was 14, was shaking uncontrollably by the time I got home an hour later, 1st dip.

Took my swim test for Ranger batt. after we broke up an inch of ice, teeth were chattering so hard they excused us from reciting the creed, 2nd dip.

Took my 3rd dip while serving in Germany, after a night of heavy drinking a young frauline invited me to jump through a hole in the ice with her, the warm up procedure made this my favorite dip by far! <hump>

Fell through the ice checking traps when I was 14, was shaking uncontrollably by the time I got home an hour later, 1st dip.

Took my swim test for Ranger batt. after we broke up an inch of ice, teeth were chattering so hard they excused us from reciting the creed, 2nd dip.

Took my 3rd dip while serving in Germany, after a night of heavy drinking a young frauline invited me to jump through a hole in the ice with her, the warm up procedure made this my favorite dip by far! <hump>

OOOH RAAAHH!! :D

Nicely done Ranger!