• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New AR-10A short stroking right out of the box???

I'm back. I've been offline for a bit. But all is good.

And even I can't defend a factory rifle (yes...even from Armalite) that doesn't function. I agree with the others that brought up the "mass manufacturing" thought. And also with Tom about the break in period for parts and actions. Every manufacture has some hiccups now and again. But I'm already feeling a disturbance in the force, with the "new" line of rifles that my beloved Armalite is pushing. Time will tell as more sheer numbers of them get out into peoples hands.

Not looking for you to defend Armalite (well, maybe a little bit) but was hoping you could help the brother out too!

I'm back. I've been offline for a bit. But all is good.

And even I can't defend a factory rifle (yes...even from Armalite) that doesn't function. I agree with the others that brought up the "mass manufacturing" thought. And also with Tom about the break in period for parts and actions. Every manufacture has some hiccups now and again. But I'm already feeling a disturbance in the force, with the "new" line of rifles that my beloved Armalite is pushing. Time will tell as more sheer numbers of them get out into peoples hands.

Agree, feeling a little puzzled about these new rifles. Courts out until we get a chance to shoot and evaluate them. Bit of a gamble.

Slack ?  Are you new here ?   <lmao>

My thoughts as well...  IF YOU WANT SLACK, CUT THE FUCKIN' ROPE! 

Damn, Ron. 

Me thinks you also been fondeling the bipod while nikked. <lmao>

You know he has...  :yup: <laughs>

• 2 weeks later...

OK.....getting ready to run 5 different brands of ammo thru this thing to see if it likes something else better.  One question that I have......I changed out the flash hider for a Miculek style muzzle brake.  Would this make any difference?

It shouldn't. That brake doesn't add a bunch of back pressure.

It shouldn't. That brake doesn't add a bunch of back pressure.

Didn't think it would. But, I was reading some info on adjustable gas blocks and it mentioned that "silencers and muzzle brakes" affect the gas pressure.  I'm thinking that with the ambient temp @ 38 degrees and a fresh out of the box rifle equals sluggish bolt action.  I cleaned/polished up all the sliding surfaces on the bolt carrier and I'm going to run this thing at an indoor range Sunday with a handfull of different ammo types and a dripping wet bolt to see how things go.  Thanks everyone for your input.

Pretty obvious a sound Suppressor will alter gas pressure , but Brakes & Comps. , not much , if they do at all . The Bullet is already out of the barrel by the time the Comp. or Brake has anything to do with Gas pressure . Once the bullet leaves the barrel , gas pressure drops dramatically , all a Comp. or Brake does is redirect the gasses leaving the barrel .

Pretty obvious a sound Suppressor will alter gas pressure , but Brakes & Comps. , not much , if they do at all . The Bullet is already out of the barrel by the time the Comp. or Brake has anything to do with Gas pressure . Once the bullet leaves the barrel , gas pressure drops dramatically , all a Comp. or Brake does is redirect the gasses leaving the barrel .

A lot of comps actually do add to the back pressure (Griffin and Battle Comp are some examples) since they have a fairly restrictive design. Their effect is similar to adding a few inches of barrel (which is why some companies can make a 5.56 16" barrel work with a rifle length gas system when paired with a comp).

Got a chance to run 100 rounds of 5 different groups of ammo today.  The 175g PPU ran just fine, no hickups at all.  The PMC 147g hickuped once, then ran the rest of the mag out.  The Perfecta 147g short stroked the first 3 rounds.  I switched to an H2 buffer and ran the rest of the mag out.  Some 1979 Spanish NATO 7.62 hickuped a few rounds, then ran out the rest of the mag.  Finally, some ZQI 147g.  It hickuped a few, then I really grabbed the handguard and pressed the rifle into my shoulder and it ran like a raped ape the rest of the mag.

So, it definately likes the heavier stuff.  But, it's more expensive...harder to find....and NOT "milspec 7.62x51" that Armalite claims that their rifles are designed to run.  Also, I'm wondering if I was causing part of the problem by not really grabbing the rifle and getting a nice FIRM hold into my shoulder.  I guess you would say............the equalivent of "limp wristing" it? ???  It seems to like the H2 buffer also.  Would it be ok to leave it in or should I work on providing a firmer resistance for the rifle to recoil against??

Edited by hogwylde

You should always shoulder it well - think of it like this: the rifle needs a good base to recoil against.  It literally is the same thing as limp-wristing a semi-auto pistol.  Give the same ammo another chance, through another 100-rd test - but knowing what you found out.  Bet they all run well the second time.  <thumbsup>

How many rounds total through this rifle now?

although I bought pre-owned, this whole thing has been terribly educational... I shot a pile of ammo through an M-16 back 1968-75, but haven't fooled with any of the black guns since then till about a year and ½ ago... we couldn't use them in the field up in PA, so I couldn't justify the cost, and didn't really think much about them till I moved down here to NC... with the current state of affairs around the world I'd got to thinking a bit more fire power wouldn't hurt so here I am...  ;)