• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My NexGen "12" build

washguy

My brothers...last July H over at ARP decided to start production on a new lightweight upper for DPMS style lowers that would bring the weight down to near ar15 weight. I was fortunate enough to be one of the first 10 "testers" before they are offered. The first run of billet uppers,custom bcg,and 16" helical fluted barrels are now ready...I think there are some .260 cals available too.

I got mine last week and used a DPMS lower off a working rifle. H got best cycling with a Sprinco orange spring and lancer mag..so thats what I used along with a 308car buffer. the upper fits like a glove on the lower ...I built it as light as I could using a BCM  KMR 13.5" ar15 rail...yes it uses ar15 hand guards.

and a Rogers Super Stock,and a "shorty brake" ...weigh in with the lancer empty 10 rd mag and no optics.... 6.5 lbs  yippee I changed the brake to a PRI comp..so she weighs a few more ounces now

image.jpg2_zpsklbcerac.jpg

new%20stuff%20010_zpsxl9lwiih.jpg

009_zpsrqlj0k67.jpg

So last week it was raining and I had to go to the hell hole indoor darker than a midnight alley range to test...brought my trusty flashlight with me which promptly went out after 15 mins. she was short stroking on some ammo and working on others...played with some different buffer springs but I couldnt work in that dark hole...the lancer mag needed a lil tweak but I didnt wanna do it there...so brought it home

and tweaked it...she hand cycles perfect now....I took her apart to check the adj gas block and check the diameter of the gas port H calls for a .082 for the 308 and .070 something for the .260

well I found the short stroke problemo... the gas port was smaller than .082 so I opened her up to that size...okay lets go shoot that baby....not...I had my face cut on Friday and Char refused to let me go test with fresh wounds in that stinkhole indoor place and its still raining here...so this week for sure

btw she weighs 8lbs 1 oz with a nikon M-308     you can find the skinny at the 68forum under vendor partners AR15 perf.  posting "12"       :)  Wash

033_zps88qtpa2m.jpg

013_zpsnt20ztod.jpg

image.jpg5_zpsi6c7vrwv.jpg

I  went to the range today to test the NexGen after I opened up the gas port and tweaked the lancer mag.

put bout 60 rounds of ammo down range from 150 Fed soft point, xm80 to 168Privi match and SS 165 noslers...this Bad Boy never hiccupped

ate everything I had....turned the gas down and found the sweetspot...very soft shooting because of the low mass bcg.

I used my trusty dot on my fence and looked down the bore to get it on paper at 100yds...never fails me.. Ha

I was having such a good time on finally a sunny day, and shooting different ammo I really never scoped it in to the bull,and wasnt shootin for accuracy...but heres some pics  :)  Wash      its hard to shoot with that bag over my head

last group Fed 150 softpoint

image.jpg1_zpsm24wr11k.jpg

just shootin different ammo think this is privi 168

image.jpg7_zpstkpyzqvp.jpg

some more off of sandbags...just breaking it in

image.jpg6_zpswwo3varj.jpg

Thanks brothers! she's a shooter...its a girl rifle...Its for Char to shoot and hunt with...she's stuck on her 6.8's,and her 308's remain in the safe most all the time.. she refused to carry the 308 deer hunting..too heavy wah wah. She has no excuse now  lol

the reason its so light is that the bcg is light and way smaller in diameter,and the barrel weighs in at a whopping 1lb 1 oz. He's relieved all excess weight from his billet upper.  Then I put the BCM keymod 13.5 rail on it that weighs something like 7.5 ozs or less? including the barrel nut.Then the buttstock...the rogers super stock is bout 7 oz. and the magpul ctr is not much more.

Magwa there is a list of lowers that work with the upper here's the link...he also gives you where to measure to see if your lower will work.The pmag problem is just about solved...right now lancer mags 100% asc mags work on some(tweaking)....dpms mags dont work on this first run of 50 but he's correcting that on the next set of uppers  :) Wash

http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?41123-quot-12-quot

Wash, you ever get Char in on the threads here?  She read 'em?

Oh yes she has me read all the brothers posts to her every day,and she reads the ones I cherry pick for her...she does wanna post and has picked out her handle...but I cant see any good coming out of this <lmao>   what do you think brother?  now listen...this is my last rodeo..please take that into consideration :binkybaby:    Wash

Oh yes she has me read all the brothers posts to her every day,and she reads the ones I cherry pick for her...she does wanna post and has picked out her handle...but I cant see any good coming out of this <lmao>   what do you think brother?  now listen...this is my last rodeo..please take that into consideration :binkybaby:    Wash

I say get her on here.  Well, 'cause if you don't, then I'm gonna post the pics of her all camo-faced before the hunt. 

You know, those pics you PM'd me and told me not to say anything about...  <lmao> :banana:

I say get her on here.  Well, 'cause if you don't, then I'm gonna post the pics of her all camo-faced before the hunt. 

You know, those pics you PM'd me and told me not to say anything about...  <lmao> :banana:

You know I was gonna do that....on getting her in here though...this place is my home..where I can leave my clothes and crap laying around...not take out the garbage...leave beer cans around...yada yada...so if she comes over...she will be cleaning and dusting...telling us to pick up after ourselves...not to put the beer on the table without a coaster....watch where you pee...that kinda stuff...so you want me to pull the trigger?  <lmao>   Wash