• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Extrication From Enemy Territory

This is one I bring up to students...you are in a Walmart parking lot and forced to use deadly physical force to protect yourself.  Suddenly, one of the witnesses yells "He shot cousin Bobby! Get 'em!"

http://news.yahoo.com/video-arizona-wal-mart-melee-released-160657373.html

Around here a couple of the Walmarts are in neighborhoods that have three or five generations of the same family living in them...with lots and lots of cousins.

Do you have plans for removing yourself from a bad situation, which is rapidly becoming untenable?

I saw the title and thought it was either going to be about someone moving out of Commiefornia or one of those private contracting companies that actually extricate civilians that may have gotten in over their heads.

At any rate; situational awareness is always key: head on a swivel. People may laugh when you see someone doing drills and looking back & forth after firing but it could just save your bacon.

I saw the title and thought it was either going to be about someone moving out of Commiefornia or one of those private contracting companies that actually extricate civilians that may have gotten in over their heads.

At any rate; situational awareness is always key: head on a swivel. People may laugh when you see someone doing drills and looking back & forth after firing but it could just save your bacon.

Wisdom there. Whatever your plan is, get moving and do it before they have a chance to get organized. One person who knows what they are trying to accomplish has a better chance while the competition is still disorganized. For legal purposes you might want to be sure that you are the first one who calls 911 and asks for help. But do it on the move. And yeah, large capacity mags are a comfort.

This all comes down to "The Rules for Gunfighting" - What's not listed in those rules is this:  I only carry a pistol, so I can fight my way to a rifle.  Always have a rifle close by, or that you can fight to.  If you don't have enough pistol ammo to fight your way to your rifle - then you need to carry more pistol ammo.

A pistol is not a primary defensive weapon.  If you only have a pistol and a knife - then the pistol is your primary.  It's just not a primary defensive weapon, though.  Have a rifle.

1. Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns.

2. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap – life is expensive.

3. Only hits count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.

4. If your shooting stance is good, you’re probably not moving fast enough or using cover correctly.

5. Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral and diagonal movement are preferred.)

6. If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a long gun and a friend with a long gun.

7. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.

8. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading, and running.

9. Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependent on “pucker factor” than the inherent accuracy of the gun. Use a gun that works EVERY TIME. “All skill is in vain when an Angel blows the powder from the flintlock of your musket.”

10. Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

11. Always cheat, always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

12. Have a plan.

13. Have a back-up plan, because the first one won’t work.

14. Use cover or concealment as much as possible.

15. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.

16. Don’t drop your guard.

17. Always tactical load and threat scan 360 degrees.

18. Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them.)

19. Decide to be aggressive ENOUGH, quickly ENOUGH.

20. The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.

21. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

22. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.

23. Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

24. Do not attend a gun fight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with anything smaller than “4″.

25. You can’t miss fast enough to win.

• 3 weeks later...

That is a good reason for keeping an AR in your pickup with some extra magazines.  I always carry two extra magazines with my 10mm Delta Elite that I never leave the house without.  It belonged to my best friend and shooting buddy to sadly passed away a year ago on February 2nd.  He was a 1911 nut and an FFL dealer and I've been helping his wife sell the guns she decided not to keep.  When he died he had 120 handguns and rifles.  Now one week after he died his last acquisition arrived because the paperwork finally went through.  It would have been the perfect defensive long gun for the "he shot cousin Bobby" situation.  It's an American 180 .22 LR machine gun with a 277 round magazine and it shoots 1600 rounds a minute.  It is amazing the fire power that machine gun puts out.  It looks like a cross between a Thompson Submachine gun and a Vickers machinegun. www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvJaUnzXcXA  He acquired it from a mutual friend so at least

he was able to enjoy it before he died.  These videos from from my front yard were we did most of our shooting. 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-az74w14wtk

98 pretty much hit all the points. The only thing I would add would be to yell in a loud authoritative voice,

" Who the Fuk is next?" I've used this in a couple lopsided bar brawls, after you make the blood flow on one and make it clear you are ready to do it again most often the others will back away, if they don't then you better show you mean it.

This might not play well in a later court hearing but then as they say, I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

The only thing I would add would be to yell in a loud authoritative voice, " Who the Fuk is next?" I've used this in a couple lopsided bar brawls, after you make the blood flow on one and make it clear you are ready to do it again most often the others will back away, if they don't then you better show you mean it.

Yep.  Initiate with violence of action.  Follow up and clear the objective.  Initiate with the largest weapon you have, decisively, and violently.  When you truly initiate with violence of action - the objective will usually shrink...  <thumbsup>

Reminds me directly of this: