• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hello

ridurall

Hi everyone, I'm Ron from SW Oklahoma.  I grew up in Colorado hunting and fishing up in the mountains and never would have believed I'd settle in Oklahoma.  I always thought Oklahoma was for folks that didn't know any better and now I am one.  I got stationed here at Altus AFB in 1991 and my 5 year old daughter at the time was just ready to start kindergarten.  We purchased a house in the country and found out Oklahoma was a great place to raise kids.  When I got this assignment I knew there weren't any deer here and I'd have to head back to Colorado to do some quality hunting.  Wow did I find different news as I got used to this place.  We purchased 20 acres with a house on it, a few horses and we also soon picked up 400 acres SW of Mangum.  I've lived here for 24 years and have not been back to Colorado hunting since.  We've got more deer on our place and around our house than I ever found in Colorado.  I've been a gun collector for as long as I can remember.  My wife and I got married 36 years ago 3 months after we met and she already had 6 guns that she brought into our marriage at age 20.  I had about the same amount and over the past 36 years we've only gone up from there.  In the mid 1980s I picked up my first AR-15 a Colt SP-1 and by year 2000 I was kind of tired of the sorry accuracy and sold it to purchase a Bushmaster Varminter.  I also picked up an Armalite AR-10T with the 24" barrel and have loved it ever since. I really love both of them and have built several of my own AR-15s from parts since 2000.  Recently I ran into a Windham .308 Hunter with the wood composite stock.  Except for the lawyer type trigger that I can easily fix there was not much about it that I didn't like.  I stopped by our local gun range that a good friend of mine owns today with my FNAR to talk about trading it for one of the Winham Hunters.  As I expected they couldn't give me enough for the FNAR so I had then put it there on consignment for $950.  Less than 3 hours later he called me to let me know it sold already.  Any of you all have much experience with the Windham Hunter 308?  I like the feel of it and think it will match up with the rest of my other 3, .308s.  The Armalite is a sweet tack driver that I'm very pleased with but a bit to heavy to hunt with.  My Winchester Model 70 Featherweight has been a rifle that I'm very proud of.  It was my first .308 and I picked it up in 1983 and wouldn't sell it for a bunch more than I paid for it.  You just don't find a factory gun that is a consistent 1/2 MOA performer. My other bolt .308 is a Ruger American that I keep for a truck gun in case I run into something that my 10mm Delta Elite won't handle.  I kill bugs for a living and never know where I'm going to end up.  Sometimes it can be in a pretty rough side of town.  The gunshop owner is making me a good deal.  As soon as my bulldozer is finished getting the cylinders rebuilt and my hydraulic lines replaced he has asked to borrow it. Allowing me to pick up the Windham for cost will really help make a difference.  

So in the long run do any of you have any experience with Windham AR-10 Hunter?  

Hello from the Crosstimbers area of Central Texas. I know there are some big nasty bugs in SW Oklahoma, but a bug killer needing a bulldozer to kill them is some serious stuff!

We used to do a lot of camping and fishing at Luger Lake and at Quartz Mountain. Got to tour a C-5 at Altus AFB

My wife has a cousin that preaches at a Church of Christ in Altus.

Thank you all for the welcome I pulled the trigger here is the story:

A couple of years ago I purchased a FNAR .308 with the 20” heavy barrel.  While It was okay the trigger was not something that made me very happy and I couldn’t find a way to make it like I wanted.  I never seemed to be able to get it group consistently below 1” to 1.5”as opposed to my Armalite AR-10T that gives me consistent .5 MOA groups with 168 grain A-Max bullets.  This Tuesday I walked into the Yellow Rose a local range and gun shop ran by a friend of mine and there was a Windham .308 Hunter with the wooden laminate nutmeg stock.  There was something about it that turned me on and yesterday I dropped off my FNAR to see if I could get any nibbles on it so I could make room for the Windham rifle.  Well 3 hours later I got a call and it sold for what I had asked.  I expected it to set on his shelf for two or three weeks so I was pretty tickled.  I had some time so I wandered down to the shop to pick up the rifle.  I've been working most of the evening on it getting it like I want it. I tried to get the trigger down to a reasonable weight the way I usually do by running a ¼”X28 tap up in the grip mounting hole and putting a 1/4 “ allen set screw to reduce the length of pull on the trigger however by doing that and putting lighter springs I still couldn’t bring the trigger pull down below 6 lbs.  So in the long run I ended up putting a 1.5 lb Jard trigger in it and mounted a Burris XTR 3-12X50 Extreme Tactical  scope on it that I originally had on the FN.   Tomorrow I get to shoot it. Hope she shoots under an inch with my usual loads but if not I'll take the time to work some up. 

Windham_AR_10_3081.jpg

uploading images

Windham_AR_10_308.jpg

images hosting

I like the looks of the wood on that rifle. I have several old M1  walnut stocks that have been wallowed out in the receiver area I bought as junk. maybe I can get out the wood working band saw and some rasps and chisels and build a set of stock and handguard for my DPMS. If I can figure how to attach the wood to the ass end of the rifle, maybe I should order an extra receiver extension tube and do some welding on it, maybe .  any clues from your Windham?

I have done some stock work from blanks for  Mauser and Springfields and a couple of Remington 1100s in my younger days. I have plenty of sitting time. A walnut stock might even quiet down some of that clang! whang! sound of the buffer spring noise.

Is that a Brownell Latigo sling ?

Edited by mrmackc

I have the Windham SRC 308. One of the best rifles I own. Not quite as accurate as my M1a, but close. My M1a is match conditioned, so that says a lot about the WW. I finally found a suitable free floating handguard for the WW so that maybe will shrink the groups. I was a Gunners Mate in the NAVY and was the precision shooter for my platoon. As such, I am a little more than anal about accuracy. My bolt guns have to be 1/4" shooters and my self shuckers I strive for 1/2" accuracy. You will love the Windham. They are good people to deal with and they are the old Bushmaster builders. Check utube for the Windham factory tour video. It's what turned me from Armalite to Windham.

I'm fixing to sight it in now.  To bad that so many companies decided to use different magazines then the original Armalite AR-10 used.  I have a bunch of generation II 10 and 25 round magazines for my Armalite and I have to admit I do love it.  When I first picked it up it was an original 1998 AR-10T with the 24" barrel.  As I purchased some generation II magazines I found there were problems with feeding.  I contacted Armalite and they sent me everthing I needed to bring it up to date free and I had the parts in 3 days.  I consider that great customer service.  

By the way that is not a Brownells Latigo sling, it's the Browning sling from the FNAR that I kept.  I do however have several Latigo slings on my rifles starting with my custom 1903 Springfield 30 Belted Newton that is much older than I am but still shoots great pushing a 180 grain Nosler partition at 2915 FPS.  I picked it up when I was 18 years old and it got me started reloading because I couldn't purchase ammo for it.  Ok time to shoot, I'll give a report later. 

Woohoo I had a chance to put 15 rounds down range (off my front porch) today and once I got it zeroed and quit playing with the adjustments I shot a 1" group.  The wind was pushing to my left at 12 MPH and the 5 shot group would have been better but one was a flyer.  I cleaned it after every 5 shots to break it in right.  I do think it's going to make a great hog hammer.  

Back on the subject of latigo slings, back when I was 18 and I traded into the 03A3 30 Belted Newton the guy that  built it taught me how to use a Latigo sling to stablize myself when shooting long range.  Most of my slings are either leather Latigo or nylon that work the same way.  Much like that Browning sling that I didn't sell with the FNAR.  I made up for it when I let it go with 4 magazines. 2, 20 round and 2 10 round.  FN is pretty proud of them.  

Thank you all for the welcome posts.  I can't believe I had not found this site until recently.  I've been in love with my AR-10T and how well it shoots for a long time. By the way I got a chance to shoot it after I finished a termite job yesterday with my son in law with me.  I grouped 4 shots in 5/8" center to center and then  I pulled the last shot down to make it a 1" group. The wind was blowing out of the south enough to bug me but I know I'm going to love this Windham Hunter.  Those guys that Bushmaster left behind when they moved the company know how to build a great rifle.