• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Well...It's done

lablover

My First Build

That didn't take long at all.  Not much different then 223 build.........

I went to the local gun shop where I got everything to swap out the gas block.  I brought everything with me and asked the owner..."I don't suppose you have any headspace gauges"  Sure do he says...Woooohooooo.  Got the barrel headspaced on the spot and she's good to go.  That being said it gave me the OK to start the build...Then finish it..LOL.  I think I may have had one screw up but won't know until I get to the range......I think my gas block dipole I did was a skosh off.  There is 2 set screws so I only rippled the barrel for only one of the screws just in case I screwed it up.

Anywho pics below and I have a few questions.

1.  Why am I freakin about shooting it now..Little paranoid.  Not sure why?  I need to double check everything.

2.  I really need som e lube on this bad boy.  Pulling on that charging handle that springs sounds rough big time.  And, it aint the easiest to pull back...Big bolt..not 223 right!

3.  I have a surefire break that is also a mount for the can......Someday.......   No way I want to rock set that thing on yet until I know the gas block is all well and everything else is golden.  I'd hate to have rock set that thing in and then have to change the gas block or something.  Can I just torque the break as well as the gas block down for the first several range sessions?  

4.  Any function checks I should worry about?  Please, any reminders or things I need to keep an eye open for.  New 308 build for me so I'm not so shire about it all.

Anywho, here are the pics...the stock is a temp until I can get a Magpul PRS

Mega Arms Megalithic upper and lower (set)

Mega Arms 20" Barrel

BCM GAs Block..Fixed

Surefire SFMB-762 Muzzle Break

LMT BCG and Bolt

Vortex Viper pst 6-24 FFP

ADM 20 MOA rings and Base set

Giesslee 2 stage Match trigger

Not sure what I might of forgot?

Like I said, I was shocked it all went together pretty well.  I will say the 65 lbs of torque made my butt pucker....and I had to do it 3 times...Set, loosen, Set, loosen Set....Fuggin sweating my a$$ off the whole time.  Yes, I used a home made jig that I made and love but damn that was scary...

post-16023-0-38115100-1431386484_thumb.j

post-16023-0-78351100-1431386492_thumb.j

post-16023-0-16428200-1431386497_thumb.j

Edited by lablover

Lol. Ill admit I closed my eyes on the first shot when I built my 308. If it headspaced and you are using factory ammo, you have nothing to worry about. Maybe take a peek and make sure it's fully in battery before you pull the trigger. Get yourself some mobile1 and soak that carrier down. Grab 100 rounds of cheap decent ammo (we have had good results with ZQI from wally world) and bang away. Nice looking gun. Congrats.

That Seekins gas block is solid! you don't need to be concerned about it not being under the handguard. You could get a longer handguard if it makes you feel better. Also yes you can fire it without locktite or rockset , just keep an eye on it. 

That Seekins gas block is solid! you don't need to be concerned about it not being under the handguard. You could get a longer handguard if it makes you feel better. Also yes you can fire it without locktite or rockset , just keep an eye on it. 

Longer hand guard is not an option..Its all Monolthic...OR Megalithic.  It aint gonna grow...LOL  I'm fine with it really.

Is it ok to "NOT" rockset or locktite the gas block or muzzle break before I know its good to go.  I haven't even shot it yet and already am debating going with an adjustable block...LMAO

Perfectly fine.  Sling Lead.  <thumbsup>  

DAMN nice looking rifle! 

Nice looking rifle .  

20" or 18"or 16" , if you have a rifle length gas system , it will stick out from under your 12" hand guard . Not a big deal , I like them uncovered , keeps them cooler & you don't have to remove the Hand Guard to service them & if you have an adj. Gas Block , it makes easy adj..

Edited by survivalshop

• 2 weeks later...

what BCG and muzzle brake are those?  Looks sharp.

My First Build

Mega Arms Megalithic upper and lower (set)

Mega Arms 20" Barrel

BCM GAs Block..Fixed

Surefire SFMB-762 Muzzle Break

LMT BCG and Bolt

Vortex Viper pst 6-24 FFP

ADM 20 MOA rings and Base set

Giesslee 2 stage Match trigger

Not sure what I might of forgot?