• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

build a M110 knockoff?

beeks

I've very strongly considering building an AR-308 to M110 specs.  I want it to be NRA service rifle legal.  I am a machinist and plan on making the quad rail to help keep costs under control.  I haven't started buying parts yet.  I'm new to the AR platform and there are more than a few things I need to learn.  My first question is what is the round boss for that angles back out of the right side of the upper receiver on most AR's  (that the M110 doesn't have)? 

If you were to build a rifle like this, what are the cheapest parts would you use?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is a forward assist?

Given that you want to machine/build your own M110 clone, I would HIGHLY recommend you first familiarize yourself with the anatomy of the AR platform (AR15 will do as the M110 is essentially a scaled up version of it).

This seems like a pretty decent place to start.

Edited by FaRKle!

Was selling for $28k here:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/904995590/KNIGHT-S-ARMAMENT-M110-SASS-SNIPER-SYSTEM-NIB.htm

Bonus price of $22k here:

http://store.avguns.com/kac-m110-sass-tactical-deployment-package/

Good luck of every finding one, really for sale.  Good luck in having that kinda loot, if you do find one.  <dontknow> <thumbsup>

Was selling for $28k here:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/904995590/KNIGHT-S-ARMAMENT-M110-SASS-SNIPER-SYSTEM-NIB.htm

Bonus price of $22k here:

http://store.avguns.com/kac-m110-sass-tactical-deployment-package/

Good luck of every finding one, really for sale.  Good luck in having that kinda loot, if you do find one.  <dontknow> <thumbsup>

Only $21,645 from Ayan!

He could also get the M110 adjustable stock kit...

98z5v that's a very nice rifle.  A lot like I have in mind.  I do want mine to be service rifle legal though.  I don't think they allow adjustable stocks or scopes.  I think I need M16 style sights with the front bolted to the gas block rail. 

I'm eyeing up a KE billet lower.  Does anyone have experience with these?  The price seems really good for 7075 material.

I can't get copy and paste to work.  I was going to insert the NRA M110 service rifle rules.  The bottom line is that the rifle you pictured is only legal in .223.  All 308 AR's are illegal in CMP rules.  The NRA allows only the M110 style AR's in 308.  It must have the quad rail among other details.

Here ya go

3.1.6 Service Rifle - U.S. Rifle, Caliber 7.62mm M-110 series as issued by the U.S. Armed Forces, or the same type and caliber of commercially procured rifle without bipod, having not less than a 4 1/2 pound trigger pull with standard-type stock, pistol grip, handguard, and leather or web sling. In all courses of fire and in all positions, the standard 20 round box magazine or a reduced magazine of the same external dimensions will be attached. The gas system must be fully operational.

External alterations to the barrel, upper and lower receivers, stock, handguard, or pistol grip will not be allowed, except that plastic covers may be used on the mounting rails on the handguard. The flash suppressor may be removed or the rifle may be manufactured without a flash suppressor.

Barrel length may not exceed 20 inches, as measured to the end of the rifling in the barrel. The front sling swivel must be attached to the end of the handguard, and must remain in the 6 o’clock position no more than 1/2 inches from its original location. The sights must be of the standard design found on the M16 series of firearms. Rear sight windage and elevation adjustments may be modified to allow finer adjustments. No optical sights are

allowed. The removable carry handle and front sight assembly must conform to the dimensions specified. The rear sight aperture and front sight width may vary in width to suit the shooter. The rear aperture may be hooded.

They've arbitrarily tossed some Service Rifle rules into that M110 Classification, that don't belong there. 

* There is no front sling swivel on the M110.

* There is no carry handle on the M110.

* There is no front sight assembly on the M110.

So, they need to think those rules through, and change them to fit the "U.S. Rifle, Caliber 7.62mm series, as issued by the U.S. Armed Forces..."

3.1.6 Service Rifle - U.S. Rifle, Caliber 7.62mm M-110 series as issued by the U.S. Armed Forces, or the same type and caliber of commercially procured rifle without bipod, having not less than a 4 1/2 pound trigger pull with standard-type stock, pistol grip, handguard, and leather or web sling. In all courses of fire and in all positions, the standard 20 round box magazine or a reduced magazine of the same external dimensions will be attached. The gas system must be fully operational.

External alterations to the barrel, upper and lower receivers, stock, handguard, or pistol grip will not be allowed, except that plastic covers may be used on the mounting rails on the handguard. The flash suppressor may be removed or the rifle may be manufactured without a flash suppressor.

Barrel length may not exceed 20 inches, as measured to the end of the rifling in the barrel. The front sling swivel must be attached to the end of the handguard, and must remain in the 6 o’clock position no more than 1/2 inches from its original location. The sights must be of the standard design found on the M16 series of firearms. Rear sight windage and elevation adjustments may be modified to allow finer adjustments. No optical sights are
allowed. The removable carry handle and front sight assembly must conform to the dimensions specified. The rear sight aperture and front sight width may vary in width to suit the shooter. The rear aperture may be hooded.

[sNIP]

Sounds like any off the shelf commercial 308-AR will be OK.

Edited by shibiwan

You missed the points about the sling swivel, carry handle, and front sight assembly that comes on the M110...

...because they don't come on the M110...  It was that stuff I high-lighted in .Red..    <lmao>

Ya , I don't believe any of them came with Carrie handles . The AR 15/M16 Carrie handle should work , with a railed gas block & BUIS . Thats some strange rules , probably just to keep Iron sight matches . 

The swivel ? Most use Slings , so I guess you need a Sling Swivel  <dontknow>   Looks like they made the rules as close to the M16 rules as they could . Surprised the left the FF Hand Guard in there ! <laughs>