• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

build a M110 knockoff?

beeks

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya , I don't believe any of them came with Carrie handles . The AR 15/M16 Carrie handle should work , with a railed gas block & BUIS . Thats some strange rules , probably just to keep Iron sight matches . 

The swivel ? Most use Slings , so I guess you need a Sling Swivel  <dontknow>   Looks like they made the rules as close to the M16 rules as they could . Surprised the left the FF Hand Guard in there ! <laughs>

I think this would be the appropriate carry handle for the large frame AR:

http://www.jsesurplus.com/dpmsdetachablecarryhandlewitha2rearsightlr-308.aspx

I picked up a used one and installed it on my 16" barreled 308 build:post-14633-0-15765500-1432923390_thumb.j

http://www.kearms.com/ar10-80-lower-raw

Anyone used one of these?

Not to many members here use 80% lowers. Generally because it will end up costing more than a finished one of better quality although with you being a machinist I can totally understand that you just enjoy doing it. 

Tactical Machining has a good reputation for quality > http://tinyurl.com/newzxx7

308AR - 80% lower threads> http://forum.308ar.com/forum/72-80-lowers/

Edited by BLKSHEEP

I thought the whole point of "service rifle" classes were to keep the rifle as close to "as issued" as possible. Not just to make poop up.

I heard one of the armed forces really pushed to get the M110 okayed.  Although the rules seem rather open, I think what they intended to make legal is a M110 with scope and bipod removed and replaced with a handle and sights.  For service rifle competition the AR15 is clearly the choice of the champions.  Most competitors think even the thought of using a M110 is a bad idea. I look at it a little differently.  I think our local little service rifle league is just a tool to get better with my rifle and have a little fun.  Someday I hope to get a little more competitive at which time I'll put together a match grade AR15 and my M110 (wannabe) will be my backup sercice rifle (along with use in other types of matches). 

Sounds like any off the shelf commercial 308-AR will be OK.

I would hope that is the case.  I run the MK11 Mod 0 and trained with the Mod2 and while they are good weapons, they are nothing I would want to mimic too closely if I were building a rifle to compete with.  Of course it has to be within guidelines. Drop the coin on an OBR...sounds like that would work.  

Edited by StainTrain

I saw the Tatical Machining receivers.  It doesn't say what they are made of. 

Product Overview
The TM-10 lower receiver is designed to fit the .308 Winchester or 7.62x51 NATO round. This is the full weight version of the AR-15. This lower receiver is compatible with DPMS platform upper receivers and is made from 7075-T6 aluminum.

Description
The TM-308 stripped upper receiver is made from 7075 aluminum. It starts off as a billet and is machined to our specifications. It is then hard coat anodized and the inside of the receiver is Teflon coated. These are designed to fit dpms style .308 lower receivers.

Their verbiage is kind of vague but I'm fairly certain that the receivers are machined from "forged" 7075-T6 aluminum, which is very common.

The way I've always understood it there's 3 ways to make AR receivers #1 - Cast, molten aluminum poured into a mold. #2 - Forged, Billet aluminum forged into the shape of the receiver(this produces the strongest receivers.)

#3 - Billet, made from extruded bar stock & completely CMC machined.

I's this not correct?

I see many adds claiming that their receivers are made from 7075 T-6 Billet aluminum which leads most people to think of Billet extruded bar stock. But when you dig a lil deeper many times you'll find that it's actually "forged" from billet.

In my opinion as a Machinist, cast aluminum isn't very good.  I haven't seen a 308ar receiver made out of it and I'd highly recommend avoiding it if you did find one.  In aluminum I don't think there would be a lot of difference between forged and billet.  I really don't know anything about forging aluminum though.  6061 should be sufficient, but 7075 is a big step up and the price usually reflects this. 

Thanks for finding out what the Tactical Machining receivers are made of for me.