• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

build a M110 knockoff?

beeks

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/623/category/4276/

I just ordered this AR15 parts kit from PSA because the price was right for just the SSA trigger.  I figured I at least got a free grip in the deal.  Are any of the other parts compatable?

Geissele Trigger Assembly*  Magazine Catch Spring  A2 Pistol Grip  Bolt Catch Roll Pin  Pistol Grip Screw  Magazine Release Button  Pistol Grip Screw Washer  Magazine Catch  Standard USGI Trigger Guard  Pivot Pin  Safety Selector  Selector Spring  Bolt Catch Spring  Safety Selector Detent  Detent Spring  Rear Take Down Pin  Bolt Catch Plunger  Buffer Retainer Pin  Takedown Pin Detent  Buffer Retainer Spring  Bolt Catch

Edited by beeks

AR15 bolt catch is not a 308AR bolt catch.  Been seeing some weird things with some 308AR bolt catches these days, too.  Bought an Armalite 10B bolt catch for my Aero Precision rifle, and had to get to GumSmitering it to make it work.  My canadian superninja woulda been proud. 

Edited by 98Z5V

AR15 bolt catch is not a 308AR bolt catch. Been seeing some weird things with some 308AR bolt catches these days, too. Bought an Armalite 10B bolt catch for my Aero Precision rifle, and had to get to GumSmitering it to make it work. My canadian superninja woulda been proud.

Same deal with the bolt catch for all of these Matrix Aero lowers popping up. Make sure you've got the right one

Take down pin, Pivot pin , Bolt catch pin ( most 308AR's use a Pin screw ) for a AR 15 will not work on a 308AR also. You may also want to use an AR10 or DPMS LR 308 Mag catch , the button will work , but the Armalite is a much better made component .

Edited by survivalshop

The Phase5 .308 lever is a beefy replacement for the anemic LR308 bolt catch.

Since I have a DPMS compatible rifle, I used an AR10A magazine catch. It has a deeper catch to securely hold the fatter/heavier .308 magazine. I have a post somewhere, comparing it to a standard AR15 magazine catch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Time for an update.  I've been acquiring more parts. My M110 build has multiplied into 2 builds.  I'll refer to the first as the M110 and the second as the AR-308.  The only part that is sure go in the M110 is the SSA trigger.  It looks like the second rifle is going to come together much faster than the M110.  I found  some lightly used parts with a price that I couldn't refuse along with the blemished MA receiver special.

AR308 parts-pictured

Armalite 2-stage trigger

Troy 12" free float handguard

Rainier select 18" barrel

Parts that could end up in either rifle.

Matrix Aerospace receiver set

Aero precision receiver set with lpk

Traditional\match style stock and buffer assembly

post-16060-0-96776200-1438895749_thumb.j

post-16060-0-22800600-1438895835_thumb.j

Getting back to that service rifle competition thing. I may be mixed up here, but the Army Marksmanship Unit has been using Armalite AR10 National Match rifles for a number of years. If they can use them, I assume civilian competitors could as well.

I thought it was a good buy!  Technically the adjustable stock isn't service rifle legal, but I don't think that the locals will care if I adjust it to the M16 stock length. If they do, I'll have to swap it out for competition.  I planned on making the whole quadrail.  I thought the lower half of the quad rail was an even bigger score.  Now I can use measurements off of it to make the upper more correct as well as not having to make the lower. 

Sisco,

I'd love to see pics of the rifles that they are using.  Technically only the M110 (and commercial equivalent) is legal as far as 308 AR's go.  What's unclear is what is considered commercial equivalent M110 and what's just an AR10.  There's a line there somewhere.  It's a bit foggy to me.  The locals shoot mostly AR-15's with a few M1's and a couple M1A/M14's.  No 308 AR's that I've seen yet.