• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

build a M110 knockoff?

beeks

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all. Armalite had their own design that they submitted for the SASS (M110) program (mrraley step in if I'm wrong). The Armalite SASS (which I have 2 of them) is a 20" 1x10 rifle gas system with an adjustable gas block. A QD muzzle device is provided (depending on manufacture). Now mine....being built from the ground up....I went with the AAC style suppressor setup (51T ratchet). 762-SD......or SDN-6. They both work exceptionally.

The Fed's decided to go with the Knight's SR-25 (M110) platform. The Knights........well......an outstanding weapon.

Pricey......but nice. I'd love one.

When Uncle Sugar did the trials for the M110, I know of at least four of the major players that submitted rifles for the trials.

ArmaLite,

Colt

DPMS

Knight's Armament.

When going through the trials, each rifle had its own problems and not one passed all of the tests.

The Colt rifles were submitted with Surefire cans, ArmaLites were submitted with AAC cans, and Knights were using their own.

Since the testing, ArmaLite and AAC had a disagreement and ArmaLite switched to another brand for testing.

Knights Armament ended up winning the contract for other reasons that were not published, but speculated by others in the gun community.

* (speculation note) Knight already had an in with the Uncle Sugar. Already having the contract for the railed handguard, Knight already meet the rest of the requirements to qualify for a government contract. So it included undocumented deal on other parts also.  

But if you actually look at the Knights and ArmaLite side by side, you will notice that there are a few similarities between the two.

1. The design of the upper and lower have the same angles.

2. The earlier fiberglass handguards that Knights' and ArmaLite used, were made by ArmaLite.

3. Both ArmaLite and Knights' uppers use the same thread pattern on their uppers.

5. Both rifles were designed with Eugene Stoner at both companies.

* Another side note about the M110 trials is that ArmaLite built the rifles that Colt had submitted for testing.  

So as everybody knows now, anything made for the government, it has a set or locked in price for X number of years. And any likeness of said item can not be sold to the civilian market for X number of years either. But since the other major players did not make the cut to win the contract, they went public with their version, and ArmaLite being first. Now that the initial number of years has passed, the Knights' version is able to be put on the open market, but not less than what they sold it to Uncle Sugar for.

It's Knights Armament.  It comes on the M110.  Knights Armament parts tend to be pricey.  I'm surprised nobody makes a knockoff (that I've seen).  The stock is standard aside from the big hole.  The adjustable assembly bolts in just like the standard butt plate.

I've been rockin' the Sierra Precision SPR-1 since 2010.  Fuckin' GREAT adjustable buttplate.  Originally, I built my first .308AR after the "M110 design."  I started with the A2 stock on it.  Scope position, eye relief, etc., just wasn't what I wanted it to be.  I found out about the Sierra Precision SPR-1 buttplate from Fulton Armory, after talking to them about the issues I didn't like with my rifle.  They suggested it.  And I bought it from them, immediately.  Right after installing it on the A2, it was too much LOP.  Right back onto the website, Fulton A1 stock body and shorter screw ordered, and away we went.  That adjustable buttplate actually does MORE than the spec'd M110 stock does.  Look at it closely, and it's easy to figure out.  I love the fuckin' thing.   :hethan:

I've been telling you guys about it for 5 years now - and I don't think another single person here has tried it...  <dontknow>

The original build:

LR-30810.jpg

SPR-1 installed:

308CurrentMods6.jpg

308CurrentMods7.jpg

308CurrentMods4.jpg

Damn, they might be out of business now...  Just searched for one, no bueno, anywhere.  Back in the day, it wasn't legal for Service Rifle competition, but those rules were for the M16/AR15 competition, well before the M110 category came on... 

Lesson 65b...   <lmao>

Back on topic..is the KAC A1 length or A2 length? That Sierra one looks like it would add too much length for me even on an A1, and to be honest I'd rather a riser than LOP adjustment. This looks cool

20140917_125900.jpg

http://www.bradleycheekrest.com/The-Bradley-A2-Adjustable-cheek-rest-For-the-A2-AR-stock-NEW-BA-000-TAC-BLK-A2.htm

Edited by blue109

• 4 weeks later...

The regular AR308 is really coming together.  Unfortunately the last parts I ordered to finish the job didn't show up yet.  So much for putting it together and shooting over Labor Day weekend.  My scope showed up yesterday.  A FSI Sniper from E-bay.  They claimed new out of the box.  It's clearly used with some issues.  Hopefully they return some of my money and we'll call it good enough.  It's 9 to 24 power.  A little overkill, but I'm hoping I'll be able to see the holes I put in targets at longer range without dragging my spotting scope out.  I do like the model of scope for the money.  It just stinks when it's not as described. 

• 2 weeks later...

AP308.jpg

I shot this one for the first time today.  It functioned flawlessly.  I'm really happy with the rifle so far.  I've got the 2 stage Armalite trigger dialed in pretty good.  Just a little hint of creep left.  I thought I should shoot it a little before I hone any more metal off.  I only shot off-hand so I can't comment on the rifle's accuracy much as I know my off-hand shooting needs work.  The flash suppressor showed up and I still need to order the forward assist delete and dust cover.

Edited by beeks

AP308.jpg

I shot this one for the first time today.  It functioned flawlessly.  I'm really happy with the rifle so far.  I've got the 2 stage Armalite trigger dialed in pretty good.  Just a little hint of creep left.  I thought I should shoot it a little before I hone any more metal off.  I only shot off-hand so I can't comment on the rifle's accuracy much as I know my off-hand shooting needs work.  The flash suppressor showed up and I still need to order the forward assist delete and dust cover.

Looks very nice , clean with good contrast . No extra BS !

• 1 month later...

The Tactical Machining AR10 lowers and uppers are cut from  blocks of billet. They do how ever ever use forged blanks for their AR15 receivers. I bought my AR10 upper and lower receivers and some AR15 receivers from them. I drove over to Deland to pick them up from their facility.  I asked them if I could look around and the guy that took my background check paperwork for the lowers gave me the nickle tour. He showed me the AR10 billets and the AR15 forgings during my tour. They seemed like pretty solid guys who were more than happy to chat at length about AR receivers and 3 axis mills.  (Sorry if this is out of sequence this post was related to your earlier posts about Tactical Machining back on pg 2 ) 

Edited by wtf

• 3 months later...

What is a forward assist?

Good God Man , if you don't know what a FWD assist is ..... Maybe you shouldn't be building a rifle ...  or at least do some homework before you start to build a gun you have no idea as to how it functions , or what each part does ... No wonder they want our guns ....