• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First impressions on slash xh rifle buffer

Cali_Ed

1. Recoil was the same.

2. Had failure eject and double feeding.seemed like type 3 malfunctions. Not sure if my brass catcher was causing this but I've never had this problem. Seemed to be happening with my 178 grain amax with 39gr charge. It shot my 175bthp better.

I think I wanna go out and test again at a better range and report back.

I've been using a XH buffer since the birth of my .308 almost 3 years ago. Despite being told not to, I use a Tubb CS flat spring as well.

147gr to 175gr. My rifle eats them up and spits them out. My brass lands about 2' to 3' away, directly to my right. A small pile of brass, easy to pick up.

2. Had failure eject and double feeding.seemed like type 3 malfunctions. Not sure if my brass catcher was causing this but I've never had this problem. Seemed to be happening with my 178 grain amax with 39gr charge. It shot my 175bthp better.

I think I wanna go out and test again at a better range and report back.

Double feeding isn't a buffer issue. Usually a sign of worn magazine feed lips.

Just to be sure, you went from a 5.4oz LR308 pattern rifle buffer to the 10oz AR10R-XH buffer right?

Edited by FaRKle!

There's also the very strong possibility that you're using the term "double-feed," just because you have something stuck in the chamber - and it's not a true double-feed. 

You have two live rounds trying to enter the chamber at the same time, Eddie?...

Odd that by just changing out the Buffer & its Spring would change the way the magazine feeds , maybe the BCG is not cycling back as far as the one it replaced . You would think that ,that would cause failure to feed . Replace the original Buffer & spring & test that Magazine to see if it malfunctions with that set up now . They can wear out prematurely , depending on who the manufacturer is .

Is the spent case one of the double feeds & not two live rounds ? 

• 1 month later...

I have a shooting trip planned out in sly park area potentially this coming up Saturday. I'll report in it again after that.

Another Potential cause I'm thinking is maybe gas block misalignment? I was cleaning my rifle looked down the end of the barrel (upper of the rifle) and saw the gas tube was not in a straight line to the top of the reciever.... I blew down the end of the gas tube I could feel air coming out of the end of the barrel.

I swear I lined it up correctly marking lines and such...