• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

home security

mrmackc

Don't know if this is the proper place,but I haven't found a topic here.

I think it would be good to have a place here to discuss how members set up security devices like survalliance cameras,, motion detectors, train dogs, stash handguns etc.,etc. some of us don't live next door to a police station. We are out in the boonies where new FEDEX and UPS take two days to locate us and LEO and ambulance drivers look for an hour then call for directions. Outlaws occasionally wonder in looking for a hideout or easy pickins.

What do you use at your place?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Standard home alarm with glass break alarms and motion! Two big ass mean ( mini and tini) Boston terriors sissy females. Definetly a gun safe! And always packing!! Sounds like you need a flare gun to signal or light up the night ;)

We have 2 wireless transmitter video surveillance cameras set up with night vision motion detectors, looking to add two more.  each with a 26 LED light  all hard wired with no exposed wiring, and a video recorder with alarm, do have a gunsafe (overloaded) and always packing, A very nervous barking Chihuahua that hears a deer pee in the yard. 2 motion detector flood lights.  Fenced yard and all of our vehicles, mowers are locked inside buildings.  Mini 14, 2 12 gauges and a .410 with 00 buckshot. and several revolvers and pistols. All metal doors with deadbolts. Our house and outbuildings are  metal buildings.  We keep the trees trimmed up to six feet to deny any hiding places.  We have recently had a all steel storm and tornado shelter installed underground. That probably isn't really a security devise but around here it is a safety item. 

I wonder if there is such a thing as a remote controlled flare gun? I had an AT&T home alarm system in Midland, It was useless because the monitoring company sucked.  I have been looking into ADT  for here.

Edited by mrmackc

A well hidden but easily accessible shoulder fired " modern sporting weapon" , whether it is of the riot gun or bullet dispensing variety. I believe it was 98 Z who said " The purpose of a pistol in a fire fight is to fight your way to a rifle". Well said 98.

I have the two 12ga. Hidden near the two outside doors one is an Ithaca model 37 and the other is a skeet model Remington 1100 both with 00 loads, on my wife's side of the bedroom is her Winchester .410 pump also loaded with buckshot. Our handguns are strickly for defence

Edited by mrmackc

I need pictures of the bed my buddy made. When you throw a leg out of the covers you can click back against the side panel and it releases the lock and it hinges open. It's hinged along the bottom so it basically falls away from the bed to the floor. That panel holds the 12gauge and the pistol. You'd never know it was there.

A well hidden but easily accessible shoulder fired " modern sporting weapon" , whether it is of the riot gun or bullet dispensing variety. I believe it was 98 Z who said " The purpose of a pistol in a fire fight is to fight your way to a rifle". Well said 98.

Exactly - always have a rifle within "fighting distance."  If you carry a pistol, have enough ammo on you to fight your way to that rifle.  Conditions and circumstances will dictate how much pistol ammo that will be - plan accordingly, as it changes all the time. Vary that pistol ammo load based on that.  Always have a plan, no matter where you are.  When you have that exact amount of ammo planned and ready, add one more magazine.  Darwin says so.   <thumbsup>

Something not mentioned yet:  have a few cameras at waist level, so as to get clear views of perps' faces.  They wear hats and look down to keep the cameras befuddled.

The house is one of a very few places I'd recommend a shotgun over a rifle.  And then only if you are in suburbs or the city.  14,000 psi for the biggest pressure punch from a shotgun (3 1/2" 12ga, with .410 coming in a mild 13,500 psi 2nd) versus 50,000 psi for a rifle...indoors.  Lay down fire, reload, lay down fire, reload.  Keep an ammo pyramid nearby.

Edited by planeflyer21

My Sig PM400 with a 100 round Surefire mag sits by my bed at night. It gets loaded with varmint grenades or these lately as they are cheaper;

https://massammo.com/massammo.com/federal-equivalent-5-56x45-50-gr-open-tip-match-lead-free-500-round-ammo-can/

I much prefer the capacity of a rifle...errr I mean "pistol" over that of a shotgun.

Pistol next to the bed, safe in the next room shot gun in the basement. Anyone else have extra mags stashed around the house? My place is a typical ranch front door into living room kitchen/dinning behind that branch off kitty corner from the front door is hall with bath spare room then master bed and othe spare room. In the living room I've got an old wood school teachers desk with mags for both my hand guns, ar15 and extra 00 buckshot gun shells also there just seems to be bird shot all over the house cuz that's what happens when I come home from hunting lol.

Also I keep 1x1 in the patio door sure there are a few other things too

My home security weapons either have tritium night sights or a night vision neutral reflex sight on them since they will most likely be needed at night.

Also I am interested in the survellience experience of others as I have been tasked with setting up a system to prevent and catch vandalism in a local park. And figure I will design my own system at the same time.

Also I am interested in the survellience experience of others as I have been tasked with setting up a system to prevent and catch vandalism in a local park. And figure I will design my own system at the same time.

Let us know how this works out, please

I need pictures of the bed my buddy made. When you throw a leg out of the covers you can click back against the side panel and it releases the lock and it hinges open. It's hinged along the bottom so it basically falls away from the bed to the floor. That panel holds the 12gauge and the pistol. You'd never know it was there.

Maybe you could come up with some pictures and directions?

I didn't know a pool cue had a hollow handle, looks hollow in the picture.....Okay I took a better look, my mistake!

As for me I am too old to let anyone strange get closer than a hoe handle length, it works for snakes anyway.

Edited by mrmackc