• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

.300 blk bolt action

Madhouse

So, the local crack dealer sends me a text and said, hey I have a Ruger American Rifle in .300 blk, perfect for that SDN-6 can I'm holding for you while we wait on the form 4.

Of course, I bought it.  I'm not going to shoot it until I get the can though.  I'm looking at optics chioces now...

So, the local crack dealer sends me a text and said, hey I have a Ruger American Rifle in .300 blk, perfect for that SDN-6 can I'm holding for you while we wait on the form 4.

Of course, I bought it.  I'm not going to shoot it until I get the can though.  I'm looking at optics chioces now...

Go ahead and shoot it brother!    sniper emoticon    Wash

That one already comes with the threaded barrel, rotary magazine...  Sweet!  I'd say, toss the Nikon P-300 scope on it, an AAC Brakeout, and you're done, man!

Damn, what an awesome combination!!!

You'll be doing this before too long...  Hell yeah!...

I really like the A-Max bullets and have shot them a lot at longer ranges.

Just judging from what they do out at those distances I suspect at shorter ranges they would just disintegrate, not what your look'in for when you're harvesting backstraps, Magwa must know something we don't about them being subsonic and mitigating that issue.

I have always wanted to hunt with SMK's or A-Max's but never have for that very reason, interested to hear more about that.

At longer ranges I know from personal observation the thin jackets on the 168gr and 175gr SMK's don't hold up worth a $hit and the bullets come apart, that's before going transonic, which is probably great for a sniper who just wants to shred the target to pieces but not so much if you wanna eat what your target is, so at shorter range and even greater velocities it would follow that there would likely be little left but a bunch of small particles, that may be the reason Magwa is shooting them subsonic, or so I suspect, I have no empirical evidence to that effect, nor do I claim too.

175 SMKs have a great reputation on-target, downrange. 

Projectiles don't "disintegrate" mid-flight unless they're fired from a barrel that has too much twist, for too light of a projectile. They just DON'T.

Best example I can give you is shooting a 36-gr 5.56 varmint load from a 1:7 twist 5.56 barrel - it'll disintegrate shortly after barrel-exit. 

Heavy projectiles don't disintegrate - they won't stabilize if the twist is too shallow - and they'll keyhole,

You need to search out more on projectile weights vs. twist rate, before you try to speak on this subject with any authority - because you don't know what you're talking/posting about...

175 SMKs have a great reputation on-target, downrange. 

Projectiles don't "disintegrate" mid-flight unless they're fired from a barrel that has too much twist, for too light of a projectile. They just DON'T.

Best example I can give you is shooting a 36-gr 5.56 varmint load from a 1:7 twist 5.56 barrel - it'll disintegrate shortly after barrel-exit. 

Heavy projectiles don't disintegrate - they won't stabilize if the twist is too shallow - and they'll keyhole,

You need to search out more on projectile weights vs. twist rate, before you try to speak on this subject with any authority - because you don't know what you're talking/posting about...

Here is yet another case of you shooting off your mouth and being disrespectful without warrant.

Not a word was said about external ballistic failures, that is until you stumbled into the room.

The fact is for you to infer I was saying that in any way shape or form at all it would then mandate that you were inferring that that bullets would disintegrate even more, IN THE AIR, at shorter ranges!?!? Pure stupidity.

98, I meant they disintegrate upon impact on the target before going transonic, at Mach 1.2 or greater, and I am inquiring from Magwa for hunting purposes would they hold together at subsonic speed at closer ranges and not ruin the meat?

Dude do yourself a favor and read the thread and have a feel for whats being said in relation to the conversation before you start playing the arrogant a$$hole over and over again, or rambling off $hit that isn't even pertinent. 

We may not all be as brilliant as you envision yourself to be, but had you even cared enough to read the thread, or had you any real intention of adding some thoughtful, constructive comment, other than just one more in an incredibly long line of self aggrandizing remarks that goes on ad-ifinitum, or making another insolent attempt at baiting people... perhaps these threads and the OP's would benefit and appreciate it.

One thing is certain, I can assure you in a conventional loading a SMK will undo itself out of my 7mm Rem Mag, or 300 Win Mag inside an elk at close range, period.

In short to review less all the nonsensical BS; I was commenting on, and interested in hearing Magwa's input on hunting, and whether or not the match target bullets he uses at subsonic speeds hold together at close range, which  I PRESUME they do since he hunts with them, and in particular if that is the reason he runs them subsonic.

Thanks, and pardon the digression.

Edited by GreyGoose

At longer ranges I know from personal observation the thin jackets on the 168gr and 175gr SMK's don't hold up worth a $hit and the bullets come apart, that's before going transonic, which is probably great for a sniper who just wants to shred the target to pieces but not so much if you wanna eat what your target is, so at shorter range and even greater velocities it would follow that there would likely be little left but a bunch of small particles, that may be the reason Magwa is shooting them subsonic, or so I suspect, I have no empirical evidence to that effect, nor do I claim too.

I to was ready to call Bull$hit when I read this post. Only after reading your further post did I realize that you were refering to the performance of the bullet after impact. All the transonic talk didn't make this clear. I've never seen these bullets come apart but then never shot an Elk either..................they punch right through coyotes.

I don't think they recommend " Match "Bullets for hunting because they have a thicker Jacket & will not expand in game , they are not designed to expand , even at close range . If you think the Amax blows apart in game , you should try the SST's , they leave a nasty hole going in & a really really big hole exiting , in white tail Deer .

Goose you stated this:   

"Here is yet another case of you shooting off your mouth and being disrespectful without warrant.

Not a word was said about external ballistic failures, that is until you stumbled into the room.

The fact is for you to infer I was saying that in any way shape or form at all it would then mandate that you were inferring that that bullets would disintegrate even more, IN THE AIR, at shorter ranges!?!? Pure stupidity.

98, I meant they disintegrate upon impact on the target before going transonic, at Mach 1.2 or greater, and I am inquiring from Magwa for hunting purposes would they hold together at subsonic speed at closer ranges and not ruin the meat?

Dude do yourself a favor and read the thread and have a feel for whats being said in relation to the conversation before you start playing the arrogant a$$hole over and over again, or rambling off $hit that isn't even pertinent. 

We may not all be as brilliant as you envision yourself to be, but had you even cared enough to read the thread, or had you any real intention of adding some thoughtful, constructive comment, other than just one more in an incredibly long line of self aggrandizing remarks that goes on ad-ifinitum, or making another insolent attempt at baiting people... perhaps these threads and the OP's would benefit and appreciate it. "

It would behove you to tone down your posts in reply to 98Z..... its getting tiresome...   Wash

At longer ranges I know from personal observation the thin jackets on the 168gr and 175gr SMK's don't hold up worth a $hit and the bullets come apart, that's before going transonic,

That right there made me think you were talking about 'external ballistic failures' too! You need to lighten up some, sometimes the way you say something doesn't come across to others the way you meant it to!

Edited by 392heminut

Read our exchanges, read the posts from yesterday, the day before, a week ago, too weeks ago, in fact read them from every single day, you will find me making ordinary civilized comments, just participating, and problems arise exclusively with 98 as he essentially stalks me and immediately delves into his spider monkey routine, now that's whats tiresome.

Granted I can see as for that one line it could have been interpreted that way, my bad for not being more concise, but if you read it and think about whats being proposed the suggestion I am stating that the world famous SMK match target bullets everyone knows and loves would disintegrate in mid air is preposterous on its face.

And listen, I knew he was going to make some snide unnecessary comment when he asked, but I tried for posterity to reply as if it were a normal question from a normal member, but of course its not, and I would have been happy to respond kindly to anything in the  "So hey Goose are you suggesting the SMK's break apart in flight" ballpark, or whatever it may have been, but rest assured going forward I am not going to just sit here any longer and have an obnoxious a$$hat continue to harass me day in and day out without some form of blowback, particularly when he does so by his own admission solely out of a singular desire to harass me, and not add any meaningful content to the thread.

Hemi, Wash, I am more than willing to tread lightly if the favor is reciprocated, and the several others of you who chose to share your thoughts with me privately, thanks for those. ;-)

...and moving on.

Am still interested in hearing Magwa's experience hunting with the subsonic target bullets.

Two wrongs don't make a right, it's that simple. I don't care who is at fault for what, that isn't part of this discussion. Two senior members have suggested politely that toning your answers down would be helpful to them, we are trying to specifically get this whole issue in check.

Put the ignore function of the forums to good use, this goes for EVERYONE. Don't like someone and can't resolve things? Ignore them. Any more of this public drama will be dealt with by me with extreme prejudice. The next person to disregard a Mod/Admin/Senior Member warning will be banned immediately.

No more drama, period!

Edited by Matt.Cross

Ok if everyone will quiet down and chill the F--k out have a sandwich ... drink a beer or 3 anyway I built the blackout to shoot suppressed to reasons stealth when engaging a pack of wolves, and if needed in a home invasion, break in type scenario, I just think there are better calibers for hunting is you don't mind the noise but suppressed is where the blackout shines IMO. So although it would not be my first choice we have 100's of deer around here and there is a extra tag available and the distance you might shoot one would be 10 to 30 yards, I mean it is not hunting it is harvesting in the front yard.

I have shot alot of the Gemtech ammo with the 187 grain bullet , the Remington with the 220 bullet and Hornady with the 208 Amax, also I will get a box of the Barnes 110 tac x ammo as I know it would be good but not subsonic..

Now the Gemtech preforms awesome and would be my first choice for subs BUT I think if I shoot a deer with any it would be the Remington 220 it will put one down in it's track I will bet money that is a big bullet at a slow speed and in the lung area(which I can predict will be the shot due to the range) I can get a good idea of the damage it will NOT damage any meat if you don't shoot em in the meat. want back straps? then don't shoot em in the back with any bullet.

The gun is extremely accurate I ring steel at 100 and 200 offhand with regularity 85 to 90 %

now if you have pros and cons please do it in a non combative manner criticism does not bother me a bit so voice your opinions

After watching this video I have changed my mind and gone back to the Gemtech 187 grain ammo it is recommended for hogs and deer while the 220 Remington does not expand at all      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1Q7xRmZAtk

Edited by Magwa