• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Forearm inquiry

bubbas4570

I am interested in finding a forearm that is lighter than my aluminum forearm, but still can take the rough handling that aluminum can.  Free float also, with pic rail for front sight attatchment, thank you.

LR308/DPMS pattern rifles only, thanks....no AR10 here.

These aluminum handguards are so damn light now I don't think you can save much by switching to carbon. The really light ones are just tubes with no provisions for rails. My PRI carbon rails weigh more than those Midwest rails, but I have a lot more confidence in the strength and rigidity of mine. 

Overall, I'd say aluminum. My PRI rails are relatively thick carbon reinforced with aluminum. The barrel nut interface is very solid. They don't wiggle at all. Probably run it over with a truck and won't hurt it much, but there's a weight penalty. I had a Clark customs tube and it didn't weigh anything, but I probably could have stomped on it and shattered it. I'm betting those super light MI or fortis rails are fine for normal use, but probably nothing extreme because of how thin they are. I had a Samson that was light and seemed. strong, but the barrel nut interface was lacking and I could actually flex it a few degrees at the muzzle end. My experience is limited, but I've come to think the way these attach to the receiver is a pretty important feature when I'm shopping around. 

I guess I am not sure which kind I am asking about.  I don't know enough about carbon fiber to ask "good" questions,  especially when I am concerned with making sure the fore end will stand up to rough handling more so than saving weight. 

The reason I asked the original question is that I figured there had to be something lighter than my OEM handguard out there, as mine is fairly beefy.  Bull strong, but beefy/heavy......  The weight is great for shooting at the range, but not something I would like to carry in the field for too long while hunting, or anything like that. Just looking for options. The current forearm will stand up to hard sling-up and not shift, does not budge, and generally does what I like it to, just needs a bit of a diet plan. Or I need to do more PT.....

i was going to go carbon fiber, but there were two reasons I went with the MWI aluminum one. 

1) it's lighter than the carbon fiber and I was looking to lose as much weight as I could off my rifle

2) Carbon fiber has some kind of clear coat on it which scratches pretty easy and I didn't wanna F it up resting it on my tree stand or something like that. 

3) at the time I didn't know about the hybrid ones like blu talked of the ones I looked at were a long cylinder and you had to cut it to size and between the dangers of inhaling the dust and a few other things I didn't wanna F with it

8 hours ago, bubbas4570 said:

I guess I am not sure which kind I am asking about.  I don't know enough about carbon fiber to ask "good" questions,  especially when I am concerned with making sure the fore end will stand up to rough handling more so than saving weight. 

The reason I asked the original question is that I figured there had to be something lighter than my OEM handguard out there, as mine is fairly beefy.  Bull strong, but beefy/heavy......  The weight is great for shooting at the range, but not something I would like to carry in the field for too long while hunting, or anything like that. Just looking for options. The current forearm will stand up to hard sling-up and not shift, does not budge, and generally does what I like it to, just needs a bit of a diet plan. Or I need to do more PT.....

the thing is you can probably save more weight in other areas than you can there. I'd find it hard to guess that you could shave off more than a couple ounces while retaining it being strong.

picture between these 2 barrels, there is a whole damn pound of difference

http://www.primaryarms.com/babl308006m/p/babl308006m/

http://www.fulton-armory.com/barrelfatitan185lwcm1x10750gasblockchrome-lined.aspx

I wish I had a lathe...I just know a guy who knows a guy who did me a solid. Hit it with some bake on engine paint before assembly and done. I never shot it in fatboy mode, but i built my father in law one with the same bull barrel and a quad rail and it sucks. Super nose heavy. 

• 2 weeks later...