• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

BIGBREW 308 BUILD

BIGBREW

Good afternoon gents.  I am thinking of building an AR platform 308 towards the end of summer and I am looking for any good information.  I finished a .223 build last winter and thought it would be fun to build a .308 for shits and giggles.  .223 is pretty basic, Anderson lower, Sanders Armory fluted 18", 15" hand guard basic butt stock, trigger.  Will be replacing the springs in the trigger and polishing it when I take it apart.  I work tow jobs and a family and don't have a ton of time to shoot but I enjoy going in the basement with a box of parts and coming back up a couple hours later with a big smile on my face as my wife shakes her head.

Was thinking of using a Sanders Armory barrel again, I see the longest they currently have for a .308 is a 20" so I have reached out to them and asked what the possibility of a 22-24" barrel was.  I forgot what my local shop has for a stripped lower.

Any info or links are appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum feel free to post up in the intro section.

what will you be using the rifle for? Why do you want 22-24" barrel? One thing to keep in mind is they rifles are a lot heavier than their little brother. And a barrel that length adds a lot 

My 20" HB by Kreiger/Criterion will shoot almost one hole groups @ 100 yards & doesn't open up too much @ 200 yards , if I do my part with my Hand Loads & its heavy .The 16" next to it will shoot almost as good & I now have a 18" which I'm still evaluating , since I was having FTF issues with a New Bolt , which was remedied with a new DPMS Extractor . Its looking very promising . 

DSCN1972.JPG

18"

DSCN2567.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Well after the incident in FL a week or so ago I figured I better get a lower, I picked up a DPMS for $325.  My dad is a shooter also so we are going to do this together.  When I have some extra money and summer activities slow down a little I will keep moving on this project. 

7 hours ago, BIGBREW said:

Well after the incident in FL a week or so ago I figured I better get a lower, I picked up a DPMS for $325.  My dad is a shooter also so we are going to do this together.  When I have some extra money and summer activities slow down a little I will keep moving on this project. 

Building with family is a gas.   Son got me hooked doing a 6.8.  Then I did my .308 ghost.  Son & I now separately working on .223 ghosts, and this last weekend, my 10-year-old grandson and I finished up our build of his .223.  Smile on his face and the look of accomplishment was priceless.  But we're passing on the interest and the skill set to the third generation.....

2 minutes ago, slugger43 said:

Building with family is a gas.   Son got me hooked doing a 6.8.  Then I did my .308 ghost.  Son & I now separately working on .223 ghosts, and this last weekend, my 10-year-old grandson and I finished up our build of his .223.  Smile on his face and the look of accomplishment was priceless.  But we're passing on the interest and the skill set to the third generation.....

My dad loves his hand guns, wasn't too keen on me building my rifle.  "What the hell do you need that for" is what I got, then he shot it.  Loved it then I said I was going to build another one and he said he wanted to help.  Gives us something to do together once in a while, I am a very busy person, two jobs and a toddler so something him and I can go do for an hour once in a while is fun.

• 6 months later...

Just need a few more things. Cerakote in a couple week's. Need to find a barrel. I'll take suggestions, looking for a non threaded 20". Need a bolt and a couple odds abs ends. What are thoughts on dust covers? Who runs them who doesn't. I don't want to scratch the paint. 

20170106_212343.jpg

1 hour ago, BIGBREW said:

What are thoughts on dust covers? Who runs them who doesn't. I don't want to scratch the paint. 

SI makes it nice cover that installs easily 

http://www.strikeindustries.com/shop/index.php/products/rifle-accessories/ar/upper-parts/ultimate-dust-cover-for-308.html#.WHBx_mlOLYU

There is a thread here on them if you use the search it should come right up.

Edited by jtallen83

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to order direct from them. Last color sample should be here in a couple days, I'm leaning towards that tungsten color. 

What are you guys using to torque your barrels. I can't find a clam style block for the 308, I have one for my 223. I'm not a fan of the block with the pins that run through it. 

My buddy works on 3d printing machines, tried to get him to take my upper and make one, working on guns is kind of a no no though.