• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

MARSOC choses Glock 19

While I can understand this decision , its not my personal choice . This Country's firearms manufacturers need to find a way to have one of our Hand Guns in the hands of our military , but they see to not have what it takes , one way or another .

http://kitup.military.com/2016/10/marsoc-chooses-glock-19s-45s-raiders.html

40 minutes ago, Robocop1051 said:

Lol. 

My buddy's son started with MARSOC last year. He said that he was issued a G19 right out of training. Never even shot the 1911. This plan has been in the works for quite some time. 

I hope you mean "never even shot one of their duty 1911s".

If he's never shot a 1911 you need to take him shooting!

it's all politics and money, someone involved had their hand in the cookie jar and that's why the decision was made. my proof to this is past things such as the army going to ACUs that only blend in with pea gravel on children playgrounds. not to mention sticking with 5.56 when there are many better options out there. my time in the military showed me that decisions are made not for the benefit of the troops, but for one or more higher ranked (military or political) person's agenda.

1 hour ago, Robocop1051 said:

My buddy's son started with MARSOC last year. He said that he was issued a G19 right out of training. Never even shot the 1911. This plan has been in the works for quite some time. 

and this goes to show what I mean. if they were issuing them out already, they were just making it seem like they were considering other options. lol.

so I try and stay away from getting anything the military decided to purchase because it usually the cheapest option or just a poor option that someone with power benefitted from. plus as soon as the military has purchased it, the prices skyrocket on the civilian market.

4 hours ago, Sisco said:

Fom the article, it sounds like it was a decision made from the "ground up" or in this case the "grunt up". As they are the ones betting their lives on their sidearm, they should have the biggest say in what they can carry.

So.....:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

One would hope so , but I would have to talk with some that made that determination .

You should have seen my $800 1911 running at Tactical Response for 5 days ;-)

There are a lot of issues in the 1911 community, and most of those issues, sadly, stem from the fact that too many 1911s are sitting on shelves, and an owner that keeps his 1911's on the shelf will never hold the manufacture accountable.

So we see prettier and prettier budget 1911s, and poorer and poorer fit on many. Even brands that are considered to be acceptable outside of the 1911 user community.

Sad.

Glocks have their place... just not on my side ;-)

I had a WWII Remington Rand  1911 that we did everything we could think of to make it not function , throwing it in the mud , stepping on it in the Mud , then rolling it in the dirt , snow drifts & it would fire every time . That old war horse was loose as a goose , but would hit the Target every time . No it would not print MOA . 

I can say that ,the only thing I see, is that in Combat , I would like to have a few more then eight rounds to play with . that is what the Glock has going for it . 

9 hours ago, planeflyer21 said:

A "combat ready 1911" that will run like a top will cost $3000 or more.  Add dirt and grit and they get worse.

I gotta call BS on that Jon! I don't know what you deem as necessary on a 'combat ready' 1911 but by my standards of a combat ready 1911 I can build one in the range of $1000-$1200 that I would trust my life on in any conditions! It's just not that expensive to build a really dependable 1911. Bill Wilson, Ed Brown, Les Baer, you're paying an extra $1000 or more just for the privilege of having their name on the slide, plain and simple! It's a status thing that I don't buy into.

Paid about $750 for my Springfield Loaded 1911 after a few failures during the initial 200 rounds it has been flawless for many thousand, two issues that ended up being long cartridge cases. You don't have to spend big bucks to get a dependable 1911. The old beaters I was trained on worked fine, even after low crawling in mud it only took a half canteen of water poured through it for an event free range session. Best of all they feel good in my hand, natural point of aim not like trying to aim a plastic 2x4.

All fine and well but MARSOC would never be getting properly fit, well-tuned, correctly maintained by their armorer 1911s, with enough spares and spare parts in the world-wide supply line.

I've owned and shot plenty of 1911s, owning five in 3 different calibers.  Owned one Glock 19 and sold it as soon as I quit corrections.

I'll still take the easier manual of arms, higher round count, less parts to break, durable plastic over nostalgia.

"I'll still take the easier manual of arms, higher round count, less parts to break, durable plastic over nostalgia."

you just described 80% of pistols out there today. lol. plenty of other choices than glocks

Sig P320!!!!!!

the round count is the only reason I would choose the glock over a 1911... but I'm about making my rounds count and doing in-battery reloads to top off the rounds in your gun once you have the chance anyways.

lets face it, the choice of what gun to use came down to power, money, and politics like every other decision that happens in government. I doubt they really showed up to a range with a dozen types of pistols that would work for their mission and let the MARSOC guys try them all out and let them all choose, because I doubt the majority would of liked the glock.

13 hours ago, 392heminut said:
23 hours ago, planeflyer21 said:

I gotta call BS on that Jon! I don't know what you deem as necessary on a 'combat ready' 1911 but by my standards of a combat ready 1911 I can build one in the range of $1000-$1200 that I would trust my life on in any conditions! It's just not that expensive to build a really dependable 1911. Bill Wilson, Ed Brown, Les Baer, you're paying an extra $1000 or more just for the privilege of having their name on the slide, plain and simple! It's a status thing that I don't buy into.

hmmmm... should I build a 1911 over buying one?