• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First Range Trip

pyzik

Got to put a few rounds through my build this weekend.  Brass seems to be coming out a little soft and had one failure to eject (stove pipe).
Only ran one box of ammo through as I was busy shooting other stuff.

Gonna give it a few more trips to the range before I decide to open the gas port, ect. 

Also have Strike Eagle on the way for it for now.

35275590581_d2f2531491_b.jpg
CMT 308 by Damage Photos, on Flickr

A friend (Everyday Civilian) shooting it.
35242558392_999accf453_b.jpg

Me shooting it.
35383229035_53537c810e_b.jpg

19 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

If it is locking back after firing one round in the mag then the gas should be good, maybe a stronger ejector spring? Might just smooth out after a few boxes though.

I'll try that.  I'll only load one round in the mag when I go next.
I'm hoping it's just a wear in process.  We will see!

Just now, sketch said:

im diggin the med kit on the hip? thats a nice package aswell.. care to elaborate. thanks 

I'm diggin' the mohawk - for real, we need more pics of that - you're ROCKIN' it, man, and I mean that!   :hail::thumbup:

9 hours ago, sketch said:

I agree lube and more rnds.. see what happens. im diggin the med kit on the hip? thats a nice package aswell.. care to elaborate. thanks 

Thanks.  It's a Dark Angel Medical D.A.R.K.  Decided this year I go to enough shoots and public ranges that I really should have one.

I lubed it a bit more than a standard AR but may have needed more.  Using Slip2000.
I plan on more rounds and more lube next trip.

4 hours ago, pyzik said:

I lubed it a bit more than a standard AR but may have needed more.  Using Slip2000.

Love those Slip products, only one other lube I've seen that performs like the 30W version and it isn't widely available ....yet.

10 hours ago, pyzik said:

Thanks.  It's a Dark Angel Medical D.A.R.K.  Decided this year I go to enough shoots and public ranges that I really should have one.

thanks, thats a good reason to have a go bag.. ill check them out.

Scope should arrive today!  Woohoo!  Don't think the mount will be here today though.

Anyway, the reason  for this post.  I had originally planned on going with an adjustible gas block but I had a spare one sitting here so I thought I would use it first.  I think I am just going to go ahead and get one.  What's everyone recommending?  Just go with the Superlative?

17 minutes ago, pyzik said:

Scope should arrive today!  Woohoo!  Don't think the mount will be here today though.

Anyway, the reason  for this post.  I had originally planned on going with an adjustible gas block but I had a spare one sitting here so I thought I would use it first.  I think I am just going to go ahead and get one.  What's everyone recommending?  Just go with the Superlative?

I personally don't use them , but others do , for various reasons ,for instance, if I had a Carbine gas system , I might use one . Give the rifle a chance to get a higher round count then decide . Not sure if Superlative is made for 308's , I think one here had issues with one used ins 308AR  , there are other brands , just about all the big names have one in their line . 

I have a Superlative Piston system on on of my AR 15's & its a great product .

4 hours ago, pyzik said:

I usually use SLR brakes but gave the Superlative a try when I changed out the block on my 16 inch rifle gas Matrix build. It works fine in the restrictive mode but does not allow enough gas out in by pass mode. It also runs a bit dirty in bypass mode. I would stick with the SLR for a 308 build myself. Here is the thread and another picture;

100_5575.thumb.JPG.b06a9536110af39088780be3b64e2cad.JPG

On 6/23/2017 at 5:50 PM, jtallen83 said:

I usually use SLR brakes but gave the Superlative a try when I changed out the block on my 16 inch rifle gas Matrix build. It works fine in the restrictive mode but does not allow enough gas out in by pass mode. It also runs a bit dirty in bypass mode. I would stick with the SLR for a 308 build myself. Here is the thread and another picture;

100_5575.thumb.JPG.b06a9536110af39088780be3b64e2cad.JPG

Thanks.  I'll look at the thread and do a little more reading.