• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Good Food In General

mineralman55

I was in Houston on business. Walking around downtown looking for a place to eat one night and stopped into the restaurant associated with one of the hotels which featured semi exotic meats such as bison burgers. I ordered the "Wild boar sausage and pepperoni" pizza. I'd never have thought of that combo, so I tried it. Outstanding! That was some of the finest sausage ever on a thin crust pizza.

After that, I went around the corner to a place called "The Flying Saucer". Great pub, lots of beers on tap. The walls are covered with platters with people's names painted on them. I think you get a saucer if you have 200 beers at their pub. Some of the guys at my office are working on their third plates!

31 minutes ago, mineralman55 said:

I was in Houston on business. Walking around downtown looking for a place to eat one night and stopped into the restaurant associated with one of the hotels which featured semi exotic meats such as bison burgers. I ordered the "Wild boar sausage and pepperoni" pizza. I'd never have thought of that combo, so I tried it. Outstanding! That was some of the finest sausage ever on a thin crust pizza.

After that, I went around the corner to a place called "The Flying Saucer". Great pub, lots of beers on tap. The walls are covered with platters with people's names painted on them. I think you get a saucer if you have 200 beers at their pub. Some of the guys at my office are working on their third plates!

I went to the Flying Saucer once or twice when I lived down there.  There is also one in Fort Worth that I went to several times as well.  If you want to have lots of beer options, that is one place to go.

2 hours ago, 392heminut said:

A few years ago Fudruckers in El Paso had wild boar burgers on the menu. DAMN good burgers but they disappeared from the menu. I asked management what happened and they told me they were seasonal. They've never reappeared on the menu to this day.

And now the Fudruckers building has been sold to Saltgrass Steakhouse.

8 hours ago, 392heminut said:

A few years ago Fudruckers in El Paso had wild boar burgers on the menu. DAMN good burgers but they disappeared from the menu. I asked management what happened and they told me they were seasonal. They've never reappeared on the menu to this day.

5 hours ago, EngrBob said:

And now the Fudruckers building has been sold to Saltgrass Steakhouse.

It appears that they never asked enough of us here to help them with that wild board issue - or they would have been BOOMING!   :laffs::thumbup:

5 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

It appears that they never asked enough of us here to help them with that wild board issue - or they would have been BOOMING!   :laffs::thumbup:

A few years back the state of Louisiana, which recognized the problem we have with the invasive species nutria, launched an informational campaign encouraging people to hunt and eat nutria. People said it was tasty, but it never caught on (except with the coonasses, they'll eat anything:laffs:), I suspect mostly because in general no one wants to eat rodent. If they had run the same campaign for the wild hogs down here, being a more familiar meat, hogs would no longer be the problem they are.

I have cooked and smoked wild hogs shot in Florida. It is mighty tasty stuff. Just have to be careful due to parasites. Next to bears, wild pigs are among the highest critters in number carrying trichinosis, which believe me, you don't want to get. Surgery gloves and particle masks when you clean them, and make sure all meat is cooked thoroughly.  Sitting on a moose roast in my freezer I plan to cook next week.

8 hours ago, Sisco said:

I have cooked and smoked wild hogs shot in Florida. It is mighty tasty stuff. Just have to be careful due to parasites. Next to bears, wild pigs are among the highest critters in number carrying trichinosis, which believe me, you don't want to get. Surgery gloves and particle masks when you clean them, and make sure all meat is cooked thoroughly.  Sitting on a moose roast in my freezer I plan to cook next week.

I've listen to steve rinella and his side kick Janis talk about when they got trichinosis NO FUCKIN THANKS!!!! That's the good thing bout smoking or slow cooking that stuff

what time should I be there for the moose roast? I can bring a side!!

• 1 month later...

We took our son to Texas De Brazil in Baton Rouge for his birthday. What an outstanding place!!! If you've never been to a good Brazilian-style steak house, you are missing out. It's a never ending supply of some of the finest beef, chicken and pork ever, plus a salad bar to match. There were two meats that particularly stand out to me, the beef ribs and the garlic mignon. Next time I go I'll just concentrate on those two.

http://www.texasdebrazil.com/locations/louisiana/baton-rouge/

Fago DE Chao is a Brazilian Steakhouse chain that is outstanding. When I was in El Calafate Patagonia, Argentina I ordered the "Mixed Grill" to split with my nephew. Along with blood sausage (morcilla) and a great bottle of wine. It turned out to be 5 pounds of lamb and beef wood roasted on its own brasserie warmer with  various sauces. Incredible! Total bill equivalent to about $35 in American dollars.