• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Divide by zero

blue109

So a coworker asked if he could borrow my armorers wrench to snug down a castle nut. We had a qual today so just told him to get it back to me whenever. He texts me a few hours later and asks me how you get the wrench off once its tight....I tell him he better send a pic.

THE PERFECT STORM.

he has the castle nut backwards. When he got it tight the wrench is stuck against the end plate that has a QD socket. The outer socket nub wont allow the wrench to pass to loosen the castle nut enough to wiggle the wrench out. The QD inner nub is locked into the relief on the lower and wont let the extension turn. I dont know how he got it on there in the first place but its in tight.

Resized952018012895114657.jpg

download (11).jpg

I just picked up one of these yesterday - I'd be pissed if it was stuck on someone else's rifle, and I couldn't get it back...   I'd be after it with the sawzall!...   :laffs:

MAG.814-2.jpg

By the way, it's a seriously badass armorer's wrench. 

Im assuming somehow an angle on the wrench during tightening was just enough to let it scrape over the QD socket..or the little bit of slack allowed it over...but when it snugged up against the end plate it straightened it out and lost that slack and locked itself up? maybe it was already half way over the nub when it reached that point of interference so he was able to drag it the rest of the way over, but now that its over and tight, the flat edges are catching each other so it cant slide past? really dont know. I agree with you that if it went on it should be able to come off the same way, but its not here in front of me to work on. 

I love Milwaukee tools we rarely got them but they did use DeWalt with the new batteries. I came in after a scratch awl and pan head screws. 5/16" teck screws with a teck adapter was the new stuff. So then it was a corded drill w/teck adapter could be 5/16" or no# 3/8 head for heavier applications attached to the drill,being lefty I'd hit the lock button and the screw would grab and hit me in the head...and on to the next one. Then impacts came out and that was the $hit. DeWalt impacts are descent. I have an old heavy Rigid set about 25 yrs. and the lifetime warranty has held, down to the batteries. Heavy as $hit.

the blade is where its at.. Diablo blades are now carbide tipped ( for sawzall/ recript saw.) they cut longer and hold up to heat like no other brand.. they are not cheep! 15$ ea . dont force a metal cutting blade.. let it eat. on this type of cut id prefer a hacksaw hand held old school..

8 hours ago, sketch said:

this to me looks like precision  work. definitely the grinder wheel to get my wrench back! knuckles hate the grinder but the hot blade of a sawzall melts fingerprints.. im sergical with both. 

Haha Good leather gloves [ hand shoes] for sure brother Roman,:thumbup: anything else just melts.