• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

A Small favor - Review your BAD A.S.S at Brownells

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe two, if Tom can show me how to build a <21" AR Pistol to fit in my saddle bag :)

Rob, I think I can get it down to right around 18", in transport-mode.  It would definitely be less without a pig, and just the A2 fh on there.  Possibly 17" in transport-mode.  My "surprise parts" are supposed to ship tomorrow, so we'll know in a couple more days.  <thumbsup>

Thank you guys, who among you gents contacted Brownell's?  I submitted something to staff for review, I never heard from them though.

I have to admit, I wrote a note to Brownells about that post. I was very tired (and a little inebriated). I clicked the "Report" button to send a note directly to the office. I mentioned that the supposed "gunsmith" poopoo'd a product without actually deducing the error in the product. Someone who claims that kind of experience has a responsibility to provide more information when they post a review.

I'm not a gunsmith by any stretch. I consider myself more a "Tinkerer Extraordinaire". I have just enough tools to get me into trouble, a dremmel and an imagination.

Nothing in life is 100% compatible. Building a rifle is like building a relationship. You have to work at it, and it takes a compromise from both parts to get harmony.

Whoever heard of a gunsmith that quit on a product like that? It doesn't take a genius to see that BAD Inc is displayed in nearly every rifle advertisement across the Internet. The BAD-ASS product placement has become the Pepsi can of the gun world. What gunsmith worth his salt, would deny the experience of EVERYONE ELSE over his own inability to install an ambi switch.

From what I've seen in the past 20 years, you have gunsmiths and then you have "gunsmiths".

The latter are people who play lego or Lincoln Logs with parts replacement or cleaning a few times, then claim the moniker "gunsmith".

Remind me of those who claim to be "tool and die" makers, when all they've done is sharpen dies and punches in a tool room.  I've worked with tool and die makers and they are some bad-ass mutha fuckers!

Jon

Some gunsmiths don't work on black rifles and are not familiar with them, their ego is such that black rifles seem beneath contempt, but they don't bother learning about them.  Tolerance stacking is common place with any system, with the AR, more so, because of the sheer number of different products produced by different companies  :)

with the AR, more so, because of the sheer number of different products produced by different companies  :)

Exactly.  Tolerance stacking can kick our collective asses at times.  As a manufacturer, just for lowers, you might get in 100 raw forged lowers.  You machine them into final finished form.  Most of this is CNC now.  What do you think those bits look like for Number 98, 99, and 100 out of that batch?  Dulled, not cutting as smoothly or accurately, etc.  That's how we sometimes get out of spec parts. 

Good CNC machinists (not button pushers) are going to comp their cutters every third part or so (compensate by editing the program for tool size, after measuring whichever bit is in question).

0.0005" worn off can be problematic with the right parts.

Every arms/parts maker could take a cue from Savage and how they do their in-process Q/A.

Jon

• 4 weeks later...