• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Floydie

Floydieguns

Well, what is there to share..

Always grew up around firearms. First rifle at eight years old(.22LR), shotgun at ten(410 break open).. was shooting all sorts of small game, living on the family farm - we farmers are dirt poor, land rich. It was called grocery shopping for us.

So.. life progressed. Flipped wrenches a while. Got some money, bought a colt 1911. Began shooting single stack in USPSA. Toyed on my own for a while. Found a private internet forum of high-end 1911 smiths. After three years of ooing, aweing, drooling and otherwise begging every tidbit of upper echelon information those fine smiths would share.. hah.. I managed to coax one into being not only my mentor but a very close and dear friend.

This friend, after near two years of being poked and pestered finally opened up! Oh lords yes - he offered a barreling course for 1911. At such a low cost and limited seating it just could not be real. Why.. things of this nature when "too good to be true" seldom are. However it was true. Very true. I later suspect it was his way of making another decision on his end. See, I had poked him enough. Once offering to come sweep his floors and do anything I could for learning.

I made my reservation fast. Within six hours of his public offer to instruct, I secured not one but two seats. Took my dad. Life was very hectic. I packed in my tools, drug my boxes home. Drove 1200 miles in one day just to make Friday night meet and greet. It was worth it. It just had to be. I kept telling myself just that.

Nearly a year later - I confirm, it was worth it.

I learned so much about fit and fitment for these handguns. In the process I learned how to discern good handguns from bad guns. Not just the 1911. The hi-power, cz, bren ten, tanfoglio. All reasonably good if proper specs. I also learned why the Gaston Glock is not so good and problematic. Not stepping on toes, but - until the Glock, most every repeating sidearm was similar to the 1911 barrel action. The man who made it set out to differ for sales. He did just that. Their designs have been fraught with poor chambers and lockup. No more on this will be said.

That brings everyone about up to current speed. I have parts built plenty of AR's, serviced a variety of rifles and shotguns, barreled and triggered some 1911's.

Pictured are a few equipments I use. Yea, I do not have a CNC or measure to 0.00005 like the new age kids.. Swenson, Hoag, any of Pachmayr and a list longer than I care to entertain did not either. The specs are measured at 0.001" for everything I care to do.

A little insight from a long ramble,

Floydie

20180127_164630.jpg

20180106_132236.jpg

2 hours ago, edgecrusher said:

Now tell me why I should shouldn’t buy this next week....

http://www.kimberamerica.com/warrior-soc-tfs

You should have already bought it LAST week!  

1 hour ago, Sisco said:

Because therest of us would be jealous.

:argue:

Not me.  Well, a little, but alot less than you other guys...   :laffs:

You guys ever hear about how this jackass outshot me with my own pistol?... :banana::lmao:

Edited by 98Z5V

13 hours ago, Floydieguns said:

Well, what is there to share..

Always grew up around firearms. First rifle at eight years old(.22LR), shotgun at ten(410 break open).. was shooting all sorts of small game, living on the family farm - we farmers are dirt poor, land rich. It was called grocery shopping for us.

So.. life progressed. Flipped wrenches a while. Got some money, bought a colt 1911. Began shooting single stack in USPSA. Toyed on my own for a while. Found a private internet forum of high-end 1911 smiths. After three years of ooing, aweing, drooling and otherwise begging every tidbit of upper echelon information those fine smiths would share.. hah.. I managed to coax one into being not only my mentor but a very close and dear friend.

This friend, after near two years of being poked and pestered finally opened up! Oh lords yes - he offered a barreling course for 1911. At such a low cost and limited seating it just could not be real. Why.. things of this nature when "too good to be true" seldom are. However it was true. Very true. I later suspect it was his way of making another decision on his end. See, I had poked him enough. Once offering to come sweep his floors and do anything I could for learning.

I made my reservation fast. Within six hours of his public offer to instruct, I secured not one but two seats. Took my dad. Life was very hectic. I packed in my tools, drug my boxes home. Drove 1200 miles in one day just to make Friday night meet and greet. It was worth it. It just had to be. I kept telling myself just that.

Nearly a year later - I confirm, it was worth it.

I learned so much about fit and fitment for these handguns. In the process I learned how to discern good handguns from bad guns. Not just the 1911. The hi-power, cz, bren ten, tanfoglio. All reasonably good if proper specs. I also learned why the Gaston Glock is not so good and problematic. Not stepping on toes, but - until the Glock, most every repeating sidearm was similar to the 1911 barrel action. The man who made it set out to differ for sales. He did just that. Their designs have been fraught with poor chambers and lockup. No more on this will be said.

That brings everyone about up to current speed. I have parts built plenty of AR's, serviced a variety of rifles and shotguns, barreled and triggered some 1911's.

Pictured are a few equipments I use. Yea, I do not have a CNC or measure to 0.00005 like the new age kids.. Swenson, Hoag, any of Pachmayr and a list longer than I care to entertain did not either. The specs are measured at 0.001" for everything I care to do.

A little insight from a long ramble,

Floydie

20180127_164630.jpg

20180106_132236.jpg

Glad to see your intro. I did a similar type of aggravation apprenticeship back in the early 1970s I found a old gunsmith in a Southern Oklahoma town.  I was a newly licensed gunsmith and kept aggravating him till he took me up on my offer to work in his shop for the "experience" a big part of his work was doing rebluing of high quality guns mostly revolvers and rifles.  He told me gunsmithing mostly consisted of grinding rust off and polishing old guns. I did my share of that and cleanings and tending the hot bluing tanks and oiling. In return he taught me tricks I never saw in books. He taught me to stack Dremel cut off wheels and cut keyways and sight dovetails. Cut threads and a hundred other tricks. He had old lathes and mills drill presses. How to drill and tap old super hardened Springfield receivers and how to temper and to make flat hammer springs and to forge and gas weld to build tools and build up worn parts. 

13 hours ago, edgecrusher said:

Welcome! Between you and Larry, we are all set for those!! 

Now tell me why I should shouldn’t buy this next week....

http://www.kimberamerica.com/warrior-soc-tfs

Well, Kimber is usually nice. They have trendingly good fit and metals. However, they have a bit of reputation for barrel bump. Which means, the lower lug typically does not engage(sometimes at all) the slide stop pin. They will still run. The repairs are usually welding and refitting the barrel. Potentially changing the barrel link. Nothing too terrible.

To be disclosed - you are inquiring with someone who would respond, "Well.. for a few dollars more you can buy a JEM receiver, Caspian slide and get a bull barrel..." at which juncture..

I will be honest about one thing. The O.D of a traditional 'National Match' bushing barrel is ~.580. The I.D. is ~.452".. using the standard threads that barrel likely does, will leave a minimal amount of material at root. I personally would use a bull barrel which is ~.700" OD and cut more supportive threads. However, now you have a unique thread for suppressor and.. subsequently a mated suppressor.

I will go into this by saying, I actually have a few suppressor designs on paper. It will be a few years before actual prototypes. Faith takes time. One of them is specific to a 45acp.

--------

In TL;DR

There have been no major reportings of issues with that setup. Kimber is quality, though like all productions of any type - compromises and tolerance stackup may/does occur. Kimber and Springfield were trendingly viewed as superior to Colt for some time. Nowadays - it is a toss up. All are pretty good. Just like anyone experience here will say, it is about the actual unit in hand.

A qualified gunsmith would certainly be able to make that one sing. You may need a few new internals. Sear for starters. Kimber sometimes used Mold Injected Metal. I however know very little on which production models or years.

As for telling you how to spend them hard earned dollars - Have you ever heard of Porsche, Ferrari or Maserati? HAHAHAHAHA

Mrmackc

You certainly have a large experience, which is vastly different from mine. I would enjoy chatting about some of these things. I am getting into fit, spec, theory and the pushing of envelopes.

The making of leaf springs and the methods of cutting rails. Very intuitive. I like that. Those old springfield receivers trend being more hard than their 'specified' hardness.

That 1911 gunsmith in new mexico - 392heminut, what part of N.M.?

Thank you all, appreciated

Floydie

52 minutes ago, Floydieguns said:

Well, Kimber is usually nice. 

As for telling you how to spend them hard earned dollars - Have you ever heard of Porsche, Ferrari or Maserati? HAHAHAHAHA

Thanks! 

Porsche Ferrari and Maserati are all nice but very are different in end use, but I get your reference. 

If money were no object this would be in the mix: 

https://stiguns.com/guns/costa-carry-comp/

Oh no... not STI!! Those things break. The steel 'rails' crack right at the most thin part. The left hand magazine well, where the slide stop is lifted by magazine for last round hold open. Especially when being hammered damn hard. In additions, they are prone to ignition issues because that soft plastic stretches and flexes. Range toy only. With a 'name' from more sponsorship than ferrari to formula.

You should wait until the 'EVO 2011' hits market. It is inverted rails. Think cz75 sp01 meets 2011. They are slated to use alloy grips(no ignition issues), tanfoglio large frame magazines(far cheaper than mbx, easier to source and better reliability) and that inverted rail removes the issue of breaking because of how everything is made.

Looking out for you, brother man.

Screenshot_2018-03-23-10-53-46.png