• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

LOW PROFILE GAS BLOCK, GAS TUBE ROLL PIN INSTALLATION TIPS and TRICKS

Start by filing a small, slight chamfer onto one end of the roll pin. Start the chamfered end into the gas block and tap it in with a small brass/soft mallet making sure you don't drive it so far that the end of the pin breaks the plane of the gas-tube bore. Turn the gas block so that the side opposite the pin faces towards you and place it in a vice with soft jaws. Visually align the gas tube holes (you will need plenty of light in your work area) and then gently tap the roll pin through. Use a roll punch to center up the roll pin to your satisfaction. Finally, pat yourself on the back for a job well done, and make a post about your project here in the forums.

This is the easiest way I've been able to find, I'm looking forward to seeing more creative ways to do it, or tools/devices built to make the task easier.

I find that the thing that makes or breaks it is keeping the low pro gas block oriented so that the pin bore is vertical. What I was told, and what has worked for me, is to put the GB in a smooth jawed machinists vise. I protect the gb surface with paper and usually slip something round under the gas tube part of it so the it doesn't have a tendency to roll as you apply pressure. Obviously not everyone has access to that type of vise. I have seen a delrin gas block fixture on  PRI's website that they sell for $29. It looks as though it might make the job a lot easier if you were just trying to do it on a flat surface without the aid of a clamping device. I've been meaning to try it out but I never remember to order one and I never have that patience to wait when I want to install a barrel/gas block.

put the GB in a smooth jawed machinists vise.

Right there.  You can make your own vise jaws with a section of 90 degree angle aluminum - bulk piece at any hardware store in 4-foot lengths, usually.  Cut sections as long as your vise jaws, lay them in there when you start the squeeze, and they're smooth - no marring what you're squeezing.  <thumbsup>

Right there.  You can make your own vise jaws with a section of 90 degree angle aluminum - bulk piece at any hardware store in 4-foot lengths, usually.  Cut sections as long as your vise jaws, lay them in there when you start the squeeze, and they're smooth - no marring what you're squeezing.  <thumbsup>

Sound advice form someone who builds there rifles around that little pin. <laughs>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just bought a set of Brownells AR15 Roll Pin Holders. Fantastic product. There is even a punch with a flat for the bolt catch roll pin

So I was going through my box-o-tools last night looking for a pin punch. My desk is getting pretty messy, so rather than search for the exact pin, I grab this little baggy which I thought had an extra pin punch set. Low and behold, it's a roll pin holder set!?!?!?! I love when I find new things that I already own... Hard to imagine that I've had these all along, cussing like a truck driver, killing myself on installing these damned roll pins :cookoo:

I made my own fixture for installing roll pins in low pro gas blocks. I used a piece of 2" Oak, cut a 1" deep groove in it the height of the GB, then filled the groove with JB Weld, place a piece of Saran wrap over top of the JB, then pressed the GB into place (I also put release agent on the GB, just for safety measure). When the JB Weld sets up, your fixture is ready to use. Used this fixture many times and it works every time......

Hope this helps........

I made my own fixture for installing roll pins in low pro gas blocks. I used a piece of 2" Oak, cut a 1" deep groove in it the height of the GB, then filled the groove with JB Weld, place a piece of Saran wrap over top of the JB, then pressed the GB into place (I also put release agent on the GB, just for safety measure). When the JB Weld sets up, your fixture is ready to use. Used this fixture many times and it works every time......

Hope this helps........

Pure genius!  Thanks for the idea!

• 5 years later...
  • 4 years later...

Another old thread with a few additional tool options:

PRI sold a small delrin bench tool to support low profile gas blocks combined with a short roll pin holder punch to install the gas tube roll pin. Maybe a bit expensive but was recommended by my old mentor.

https://www.precisionreflex.com/ar-15-and-308-tools/501-gas-block-fixture-with-roll-pin-starter.html

Saint Michael's Armament produced a Gas Block Tool (GBT), GBT Widget, Step Widget and Hollow Widget tools that mount set screw gas blocks on one end and are held in a vise at the other to allow you to easily hold the gas block while installing the roll pin. The advantage to this one was it worked with just about any gas block.

https://www.saintmichaelsarmament.com/

Forward Control Designs puts out an aluminum fixture a little more refined than the PRI one:

https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/GPT-Gas-tube-Pin-Tool_p_218.html

There was an identical Modern Army version that was more or less identical to the FCD one except for the logo. I'm not sure if it is still out there.

Both of the latter ones claimed some incompatibility with various manufacturers and styles of gas block including adjustables.