• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Winchester P-17, My 100 Year Old War Horse

jtallen83

This old war horse hit 100 this spring, barrel has a 3-18 date on it. I've only shot 20 rounds through it but it held 2 MOA at 100 yards, bore is nice and shiny. This one escaped being refurbished and sits like it did when it came home from WWI, as the story is told. Finish is worn all around and the stock has enough wear to obscure any stamps except the odd W in a protected location. Always felt the P17 got shorted in the fame department due to the '03 being an American design, fact is more of our boys used these P-17's than any other rifle. I bought it from an old man that said his father brought it back with him. It was used during the depression to put venison on the table then put in a corner of a closet till it was sold to me. The dust was thick but it had been oiled well when put away so it cleaned up just fine for my taste. If only the old war horse could talk......

100_5695.thumb.JPG.1a897f654f1bd92f29667720b037a044.JPG100_5696.thumb.JPG.441b199a7aee26da59ae031e7adec383.JPG100_5697.thumb.JPG.c4b988a62736c1a956ff7fd705a44e18.JPG100_5698.thumb.JPG.fe0df3e38b5cf7cf4317e51272616043.JPG100_5699.thumb.JPG.40611dfe5b530be2349db82c9cc79a40.JPG100_5704.thumb.JPG.65a22e51bdfcc34eda8ea1e2f3f62b47.JPG

Beautiful JT! My first rifle was a sporterized Winchester made 1917 my Dad bought me at Sears Robuck when I was 12. At 300 yards with those iron sights it would put every shot in the black. My Dad thought it was the strongest action of any military bolt action, and as an ordnance metallurgist, he probably knew. Let myself be talked into selling it to a friend who turned out not to be a friend. Regret it to this day. Congrats Brother on a fine acquisition!

Nice Enfield pattern 06, I noticed it has a nice leather sling,  also a model 1917? 

I bought several new slings at a gun shop auction back in the 1980s and have one on my Springfield M1A. Treated right they will last forever.

My bad,  my slings are mod.1907 made for military in 1972. (Stamped with black ink)

Edited by mrmackc

3 minutes ago, mrmackc said:

Nice Enfield pattern 06, I noticed it has a nice leather sling,  also a model 1917? 

I assume it’s original but I’ve never done the research to confirm it. It is in supprisingly good shape, I have not treated it but probably should. What should I use?

I have used Fiebings saddle soap for years on tack and leather. I have used products that contain Neatsfoot oil. But the saddle soap really cleans and protects. I use a applicator sponge with a little water to make a lather and work it into both sides lay it out flat to dry then buff it out with a clean cloth.  

Once I bought a military 1911 shoulder holster that was old and stiff with a leather mag pouch and I was off on a job so I soaked the whole thing in WD-40 and inserted pistol and mag set it in the sun to dry and guess what. After 12 years it is still nice and usable.

I use the same thing on my leather sling I use on my M1A stock. Linseed oil. I like the 1906 slings so much I have put them on all my full size rifles, Savage 30-06 bolt, M1A, AR10, and AR15. Maybe because it is what I learned on, but I shoot better with them in the standing position or seated position with longer rifle barrels than any other type sling.

Edited by Sisco

Just went to look at another house this morning. I guess they had 2 Labs. Fukin dog dug a hole to when you could see the subfloor WTF. short sale. Hoping this goes through.

Inspection on previous house reveled moisture/mold issues. I'll know later if we get our earnest money back. With limited inventory I shot myself in the foot jumping in to quick.