• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Max level achieved.... Lvl IV

Robocop1051

CROM isn't just about guns and ammo... As stated before, we have invested in an armor division, working on an all new type of personal plate body armor. Getting to Level III and III+ was almost effortless. We had the means and the product necessary to achieve that goal right off the bat. It was the Level IV that eluded us. Stopping a .30 caliber, steel core, military AP round seemed near impossible with the restrictions we placed on ourselves. It was absolutely astounding how much power is packed into the .30 cal AP round.

The task at hand was to make a level IV plate armor that is thinner and lighter than the current competitive market. One of the biggest challenges we set upon was diverting away from the common use of Dyneema, which is a Chinese controlled product. We wanted to be 100% built in house with 100% American made products. 

Do you want to know what one of the most intoxicating feelings is? Shooting your Remington 700... Loaded with military AP ammunition... into a poly-composite plate... at only 50' away... and stopping that sumbitch dead in its tracks!

What we achieved is.... a 12"x12" plate, only 0.59" in thickness, that weighs SEVEN freakin pounds! When this is cut to body armor sizes, it will weigh even less (depending on the cut and size).

Half the weight of AR500 steel armor!!!

1/3 the thickness of polyethylene armor!!!!

Soon to be NIJ certified as LEVEL IV and B7 armor.... YES! That's right! For those of you in the know... B7 is the vehicular armor rating to stop AP rounds. We are going to be able to produce a vehicle grade armor, at a personal body armor scale/level. Undercutting the price of every single competitor, without sacrificing any of the attributes... And in many cases, exponentially expanding on them.

Stay tuned for more info to come. CROM is cutting a path into the industry that many were just too fearful to go. 

Very interested in this brother. Transport companies are getting cheap and ive accidentally promoted myself to a 1 man courier position at work...meaning im alone on the truck. driving and jumping. I honestly dont feel totally safe in my soft armor but humping coin in AZ summer fully geared up is miserable as is. I really need a better armor solution that doesnt weigh a ton.

Is the lvl III stuff thin enough to slide into a standard carrier with soft plates?

Edited by blue109

20 minutes ago, blue109 said:

Transport companies are getting cheap and ive accidentally promoted myself to a 1 man courier position at work...meaning im alone on the truck. driving and jumping.

That sounds like a very, very shiitty situation...  Damn...

I have a carrier now with 3A soft armor. It fits well and the pocket situation is just about perfect for all the junk I need. Ive seen some pretty thin composite plates but I dont know much about them. Id like something that could slide up between the carrier and the 3A to add a little more protection. There is a "pouch" inside the pocket that looks like it holds a 10x10ish hard plate? But it would need to be thin to slide in.

EDIT: this thread got me to start researching around a little. What im looking for is ICW (in conjunction with) lvl3 plates. Seen some as low as 3lbs (alumina/aramid) and up to 6lb expensive ceramic. Thats pushing it on weight. I hump all day pretty much non stop.

Added a pic to show what im working with since its gear wash day today. 

20180414_175313.jpg

20180414_180104.jpg

Edited by blue109

Mike, it looks like you could get a standard 10x12 plate in there - will it not fit?  If it's that bad there, I've got 10x12 front curve and back curve titanium plates I'll send to you, and let you wear, until something else comes up.  They're 7lbs each. 

I just did an update on my post. 10x12 might work but that weight is pushing it. I only weigh 170 wet and depending on the day im basically cranking for about 9 hrs straight. Im already ringing my shirt out after shift and its just starting to heat up. Wondering if I might be ok with just a rear plate. Im more concerned about someone rolling up on me from behind. I try to stay pretty tuned up to anything in front of me. 

I have yet to be in a sketchy situation. I keep a game face on, I never look sloppy. I like to think that out of all the trucks rolling around this town, a scumbag will look at me and think "nah, not that guy, lets find someone else" but without the driver keeping an eye on exits and surroundings while im inside I feel a little naked. 

Edited by blue109

We are finally getting issued lvl III plates this spring. I have no clue what they are yet. But with all the .30-06s around these parts, I would love a light and thin lvl IV. I can deal with weight, bulk is my biggest issue having to get in and out of a car all the time. 

• 2 years later...

Yeah i would love better plates. My issued hard plates are lvl III and while they are super light at like 4 pounds each, they are at least 1.25" in thickness. I would rather have double the weight and half the thickeness in lvl IV or double the weight and .25" in lvl III because bulky plates really suck! Especially when you have all your duty gear on and have to get in and out of vehicles.

3 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Just a thought, but he may be busy with riots and protesters at the moment.   His area was hit pretty hard as well.

Checked on him yesterday. He’s off for a few days and far from the BS at the moment. He just doesn’t love us anymore. 

14 hours ago, Robocop1051 said:

I’m here guys...

we actually just got NIJ certified for the level IV. I think the sales are starting up. I’ll get info on that. I believe the level IV is 0.6” thick. I’ll get the exact weight. 

WAY TO GO BROTHER!!!!   :hail:   Zack HAS to be happy as hell about this!!!  It "certifies" that HE IS RIGHT!!!   :thumbup::banana: