• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hello from the wet side of WA

Slugger

New here but not new to the gun culture by a long shot. Have been into FALs for decades but I'm considering my first AR308 build as I search for options other than the SCAR17s. Not sure why it took me so long to look into this platform. I''m a little nervous about how things with work together. I've heard this platform is more than a little finicky. Anyway looking to glean some info from those in the know, thanks in advance!

Doug

Welcome from wisconsin slugger, it’s not as complicated as some say. Just gotta remember no mil spec, you get what you pay for, for the most part their are two different patterns “dpms” and “armilite”, best bet is buying your upper and lower from the same company and go from there! 

There are a lot smarter guys here that can shine some more light

Welcome from Iowa, via Missouri!

First I would recommend a matched receiver set, same manufacturer on both. Second, if using a carbine buffer system I would recommend using the Armalite system, extension, buffer, and spring. That will avoid the largest majority of issues that get brought up here.

The Armalite buffer system works on both DPMS and Armalite patterns.

Edited by jtallen83
clarity

4 minutes ago, sketch said:

welcome from WA. where u at? 

Monroe

Thanks all. Maybe I should outline my plan (so far). Looking to build something that has better accuracy than the FAL but not so heavy that I can't shoot on the move.

Starting plan:

AP M5E1 builder set, Criterion 16" Nitrated SS hybrid contour, I'd like a slick bcg with a carpenter 158 bolt, adjustable gas block (unsure mfg). I think this will work pretty well? I've got headspace gages etc. Just need to seek some more intel and make some final decisions.

7 minutes ago, Slugger said:

AP M5E1 builder set, Criterion 16" Nitrated SS hybrid contour, I'd like a slick bcg with a carpenter 158 bolt, adjustable gas block (unsure mfg)

Very solid foundation there. I always plug SLR adjustable blocks, run several with suppressors and they are solid kit. LaRue is having a hell of a good sale on their MBT trigger right now, it is highly regarded by many here.

Welcome, from someone who knows your "100 days of rain."  Spent 12 years at Ft Lewis, lived in Spanaway.  We'll hook you up, and help you build this thing - we'll spend WAY more of your money than you're ready for, that's no lie...   :banana:

Hit up Aero Precision - they're local to you, and their M5 receiver sets are at the peak of the .308AR game. :thumbup:

I'm really not as nuts as I sound. One is for a long range 5.56, one for the 300 that's rolling together now then the third is for the 308 in the plan. I'm looking forward to being designated to work the following 4 weekends. So there will be plenty to go around.

When the boss is forcing $$ into your hand . . . what's a gunnut to do?

On 9/16/2018 at 6:40 PM, Slugger said:

I'm really not as nuts as I sound. One is for a long range 5.56, one for the 300 that's rolling together now then the third is for the 308 in the plan. I'm looking forward to being designated to work the following 4 weekends. So there will be plenty to go around.

When the boss is forcing $$ into your hand . . . what's a gunnut to do?

With that attitude, you should fit in around here. Welcome.